News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1 piston calipers on a 68

Started by chargerguy111, July 10, 2007, 05:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerguy111

Everyone keeps telling me that they didn't use 1 piston calipers until 1970. Is this true?Because if it is,then someone changed mine over.Also does anyone know if there is a piston available for the caliper?Thanks!

Ghoste

It is true.  I'm not sure what parts are still available for the single piston setups but I think the parts are easier to get than the old Bendix stuff.

resq302

From 1966-1969 on B bodys they used the Bendix 4 piston fixed calipers.  1970 was the first year for the large single piston slider style.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

histoy

I used to have a '68 GTX with the large single piston caliper & Hemi master cylinder & Hemi power brake booster, but I think a previous owner must have installed those calipers from a later model car.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: histoy on July 10, 2007, 08:58:14 PM
I used to have a '68 GTX with the large single piston caliper & Hemi master cylinder & Hemi power brake booster, but I think a previous owner must have installed those calipers from a later model car.

BINGO!

Don't forget the disk cars that were converted to drums also.    A lot of youngins don't realize how expensive and hard to get parts were for disks in the early years.   Pads?  $$ compared to drum shoes.   Rebuilt calipers?  Huh?   New rotors?  Dealer item.   The parts for the 4 piston disks are still hard to get now.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Ghoste

Not to mention heavier.  I have an article here someplace where Dick Landy is talking about not running disc brakes on his car because of the extra weight.

is_it_EVER_done?

Quote from: chargerguy111 on July 10, 2007, 05:50:40 PM
Everyone keeps telling me that they didn't use 1 piston calipers until 1970. Is this true?Because if it is,then someone changed mine over.Also does anyone know if there is a piston available for the caliper?Thanks!

Pistons are available, but since a rebuilt caliper is only about $20.00, it is certainly not worth rebuilding yours. just check to see if you have the pin type, or slider type calipers, and buy a set of rebuilds.

chargerguy111

How do you tell if you have the pin or slider type?

Chryco Psycho

is there a pin going through the caliper , if not it is a slider
generall you need to install the caliper on the rear of the spindle to clear the sway bar & use a longer hose to the caliper to make it work

chargerguy111