News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headliner Install on Project '69!!

Started by bill440rt, July 13, 2007, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

I managed to get my courage together for this headliner installation. I've heard horror stories from some people, they're not lying. Headliners suck.
I called a few trim shops. NO ONE wanted to make a house call to install this, the competent shops are about 1 hour away from me & since the '69 is a roller, it would've had to be trailered there. PIA.  :flame:

Last one I did was about 10 years ago, for my '70, & it was made from NOS fabric which has a tendency to tear easily. I will say this: the repro headliners are MUCH easier to work with. They are made from a plastic/vinyl type material, & stretch quite nicely.

What made it even suckier, is that the headliner was already removed when I got the car, & none of the bows were labelled. I was able to put them in the proper order. One of the short bows at the C-pillar was missing, so I made one out of steel rod to match. Then, one of those pesky clips for the short bows was broken, so I made up a substitute out of metal tubing. A little tack weld to hold it in place before installing it in the headliner, & it was ready to go.

Special thanks to Kevin69RTvert who was on hand to help get it started to hook the bows into the roof. A pro did the one in my '68, & he taught me a trick by putting your trim screws in FIRST (dome light, visors, mirrors, etc). Don't put them in all the way, leave some unthreaded. Once the headliner is done, you only have to feel for the protruding screw heads, & make a little "x" to expose them. Much easier (& less risky) then trying to feel blind for some small hole you can't see.

Anyway, we started hooking the bows at the rear, & worked forward. Pull the headliner tight at the front & temporarily hook the front into place. I also used a little glue, 3M's Super Trim adhesive. Here's how it looked when we started:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

I then went back to the front & started stretching the material tighter at the roof header. You can hook it in a little more permanently at this point at the front. The top of the rear window area can also be stretched tight & hooked in. Next step is to stretch the sides, working front to back one bow section at a time.
It helps to make some relief cuts at the sides as you're working front to back. Use more glue at the sides. Some spring clamps, clothespins, & those little headliner retainer clips help to hold the sides in place after you stretch. I'm working alone at this point, so they come in handy as an extra set of "hands." Check your progress often, you may have to go back & re-stretch an area you were previously working on.

This is how it looked as I started the stretching process:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

OK, you can see in the previous pics how the front is getting tighter, & the rear still needs work. Keep stretching a little at a time, re-glue if necessary.
The hardest part is the C-pillars. The headliner is held in place by the "teeth" around the rear window opening, & then glued at the bottoms to a metal flange on the package tray. I found it easier to work from top to bottom, then glue at the package tray last. Relief cuts in the material definitely helps.

This is how it turned out. A lot of the wrinkles are in the material from being folded up in the box. A good day out in the hot sun should get rid of them. Once the rear window trim & metal side trim goes on, it will tighten the material up even more & they will disappear. A heat gun & then wiping with a damp rag with cold water also is a good trick. When the pro got done with the headliner on my '68, it looked very similar to this. All the wrinkles disappeared over a short time. I'm no pro, but you can get good results as long as you take your time & have patience.

I need to search for those screw heads next, & install the dome lamp, etc.
Next up will probably be rear window, 1/4 glass, mouldings, etc. I'll post more progress pics soon.

bull

Good job, man! I bet it's a helluva lot easier with the glass out.

resq302

Damn Bill.  Looks great.  You can do my next one. ;D
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

:scratchchin:  and my original one is starting to come apart at the seams ....  :scratchchin:

As usual Bill, excellent work....I knew the ribbing you got when you said you were going to "farm out" the headliner install would make you do it yourself ;)

:cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

T16

Turned out great  :2thumbs:

Hope mine will be as good as yours  :scratchchin:

jaak

Looks great, Bill.  And thanks for all the helpful tips!!!

Jason

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on July 14, 2007, 05:35:45 AM
:scratchchin:  and my original one is starting to come apart at the seams ....  :scratchchin:

As usual Bill, excellent work....I knew the ribbing you got when you said you were going to "farm out" the headliner install would make you do it yourself ;)

:cheers:

Thanks guys.
Chris, the ribbing DID have something to do with it. I guess as the wallet grows smaller, the "cajones" grow bigger!  :D
Oh, and BTW, installing one in your car would be my pleasure!  :2thumbs:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

resq302

Damn Bill, with all these requests for doing their car, Im sure you can fatten up your wallet with all of the added work. :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on July 15, 2007, 06:32:52 PM
Damn Bill, with all these requests for doing their car, Im sure you can fatten up your wallet with all of the added work. :lol:

You don't know Bill very well do you? :nana:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Oh so Bill can be hired out then huh?   :scratchchin:  The time I can save for other projects....... :scratchchin:
Brian

chargercraig

Blakcharger440

Hey Bill.....I am installing the headliner in my 70 Charger RT and there are two small bows near the rear window (one for each C pillar) and the headliner that I have doesnt have the same loop for these two small bows to go though...is the headliner supposed to have loops for these or is mine defective and need to be sent back???

Also did you use the big cardboard triangles that fit against the C pillars behind the headliner...or do 69's have them?

T16

Having problem with one of my bows after some stretching.. the bow wants to fall towards the rear. Just one bow that keep on messing it all up  :icon_smile_angry:

69Charger_440

Was curious to know if you put any sound deadener/insulation material before you installed the headliner?  If so, what type?

Thanks,

Fernando

bill440rt

Yes, Fernando. I used the repro headliner insulation made by REM. It's already cut to fit, just glue it on. It's basically a white fluffy form of jute padding.

T16, try starting at the back & work forward. Do you have the 2 little "J" shaped wires that go into the roof & hold the rear bow in place? If not, you'll need them to hold that bow in place as you stretch it forward. Starting at the rear, work one bow at a time going forward. When you reach the front, you can pull the headliner tight into the front "teeth." That helps hold the headliner forward. You may need to stretch it tighter some more as you work the rest of it.
Hope that is helpful.

69Charger_440

Quote from: bill440rt on August 04, 2007, 02:31:25 PM
Yes, Fernando. I used the repro headliner insulation made by REM. It's already cut to fit, just glue it on. It's basically a white fluffy form of jute padding.

T16, try starting at the back & work forward. Do you have the 2 little "J" shaped wires that go into the roof & hold the rear bow in place? If not, you'll need them to hold that bow in place as you stretch it forward. Starting at the rear, work one bow at a time going forward. When you reach the front, you can pull the headliner tight into the front "teeth." That helps hold the headliner forward. You may need to stretch it tighter some more as you work the rest of it.
Hope that is helpful.

K thanks!! :2thumbs:

dodgedarren

Question: How do the front clips work that are along the top edge of the windshield??

dodgedarren

Help!! How do the clips in the front work?? I cant seem to remove them.

bill440rt

Quote from: dodgedarren on July 13, 2011, 04:34:25 PM

The clips in the front hold the metal front edge molding in place.
They are removed using a flat screwdriver & needle nose pliers. You'll see two small flat metal tabs wedged together in the center. Use the screwdriver to spread them apart. You might have to pull them out then with the pliers.
Reinstall in reverse. Insert the clips, the squeeze the tabs together with the pliers. This will spread the tabs back out on the other side.
You'll get the idea how they work better once you get one of them out.
Good luck!

dodgedarren

Day one of headliner install went pretty good. One issue I am have because the rear window is in I can not seem to get the teeth to bite down on the headliner material on the side areas. Also I bought a "set" of headliner clips which was 6 clips but seems like I am going to need 14. Am I suppose to clue the sides??? I read that Shaky used glue but does the trim glue set that fast?? My other issue is that now that I finally figured out how to get the front clips off I cannot figure out how they go back on. Any advice or tips would be hugely appreciated. I've been restoring this car for 3 years and I cant believe how close I am to finishing her. She is a real RT with just over 100k miles on her. She ran and looked so good even with the rust holes I sometimes would question why I even bothered restoring her but now I see why.

HOTROD

Quote from: bill440rt on July 13, 2011, 08:14:42 PM
Quote from: dodgedarren on July 13, 2011, 04:34:25 PM

The clips in the front hold the metal front edge molding in place.
They are removed using a flat screwdriver & needle nose pliers. You'll see two small flat metal tabs wedged together in the center. Use the screwdriver to spread them apart. You might have to pull them out then with the pliers.

YAH WHAT HE SAID !
Reinstall in reverse. Insert the clips, the squeeze the tabs together with the pliers. This will spread the tabs back out on the other side.
You'll get the idea how they work better once you get one of them out.
Good luck!
What the Hell-Dumass !

dodgedarren

Does any know what the clips are called that hold the header trim on. Also where can I get new ones????

70 Charger RT

QuoteWas curious to know if you put any sound deadener/insulation material before you installed the headliner?  If so, what type?

I cut pieces of that foil bubble wrap (foil on both sides was available at hardware store) and used 3M super 99 to glue each piece in place between the ribs.  It worked out good for me.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

68lugnut

Thanks guys for the info. I'm trying to install the one in my 68 and am having a fit with the sail panel section on both sides. Does the sail panel boards go behind the metal tabs on the package tray?
Hazzard Lugnut

fizz

behind. headliner glues to metal tab at bottom

68lugnut

Hazzard Lugnut

marshallfry01

1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

68lugnut

Hazzard Lugnut

fizz

I didn't install mine myself, but the guy who did used a spray contact adhesive that he had in a cheap looking paint gun. Same as he stuff they use for vinyl tops. I think you could order it from a autobody supply store or legendary. It appears to work better than even the 3m bomb can stuff. Word of advise, cover everything. I had drop cloths over the hood, dash, trunk and still got some on the body. 3m adhesive remover on a rag does take it off easy though, I would be nervous about using it on uncured paint.

68lugnut

Hazzard Lugnut

doczod

Hey guys,

I'm new here and want to say hello!  My son and I just purchased a '69 Charger RT, 440-4sp, Dana 60 - 4:10 Super Track Pack car with almost enough parts to make 2 cars.  The drive train is out of the car, but we've got it all minus a few engine brackets and the drive shaft.  I'll give the body a 97 out of 100.  There is absolutely no rust anywhere on the car.  This was one of those "barn finds" as the guy who had it has had it inside a garage since 1982.  He stripped it then had it painted then never put it back together.  Now he's sick and can't work on it.

Anyway, my question is this:  I've got all of the roof bows, but have no idea which one goes where.  Can any of you tell me the length of each bow so we know where to install them when we put in the new head liner?  I could just climb in the car and figure it out but right the car is full of parts and I'd have to take everything out of it to do this.  Thanks in advance.

cdr

Quote from: doczod on May 27, 2015, 08:31:42 AM
Hey guys,

I'm new here and want to say hello!  My son and I just purchased a '69 Charger RT, 440-4sp, Dana 60 - 4:10 Super Track Pack car with almost enough parts to make 2 cars.  The drive train is out of the car, but we've got it all minus a few engine brackets and the drive shaft.  I'll give the body a 97 out of 100.  There is absolutely no rust anywhere on the car.  This was one of those "barn finds" as the guy who had it has had it inside a garage since 1982.  He stripped it then had it painted then never put it back together.  Now he's sick and can't work on it.

Anyway, my question is this:  I've got all of the roof bows, but have no idea which one goes where.  Can any of you tell me the length of each bow so we know where to install them when we put in the new head liner?  I could just climb in the car and figure it out but right the car is full of parts and I'd have to take everything out of it to do this.  Thanks in advance.

they are color coded

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,102037.msg1204386.html#msg1204386
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

HeavyFuel

'cause we love pics....