News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger Dash Restoration

Started by Bobby41909, June 02, 2010, 08:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby41909

I've got my Charger in with the restoration shop but left a few things for me to restore in the garage.  For the most part its the grill and the guage cluster.  I spend approx 15 hours working on the guage cluster cleaning, cleaning, polishing, painting and more painting.  Oh and new faces for the guages and it's almost all done.  Just a few touch-up's and its good to go.  Thought I would share.  I got alot of great info from this site so far.  Especially how to restore the grill which will come in a few weeks. 
I know this isn't exactly an original look but I don't have a matching numbers car so it doesn't matter (to me).  Enjoy!

Bobby41909

If anyone knows how I can paint the white raise letters I'd appreciate it.  My wife thinks she can do it with a small model brush and white paint.....not sure that will look...one bad move and its all over.....

Lennard

oldcarnut

I did mine a little unconventional but it worked for me. Go down midway about to reply 46-50. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,53678.40.html

bull

jasonjb75

I used some white paint and a tooth pick.  It worker pretty well.
1969 Dodge Charger - 383HP w/ 4-Speed

Bobby41909

Bobby41909

Quote from: bull on June 03, 2010, 12:25:03 AM

Awesome...thanks..I bet I can pick something like this up at any craft store...can't believe I didnt think of that

Patronus

you can paint that "Charger" chrome you put above the glovebox black, then wipe off the face...
ooo gives me  :scratchchin: idea about painting possible different color....custom... :2thumbs:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

oldcarnut

Quote from: Bobby41909 on June 03, 2010, 08:47:41 PM

Awesome...thanks..I bet I can pick something like this up at any craft store...can't believe I didnt think of that

If you decide to try that, make sure you practice on some other pieces first.  Those work good but if you get too much on the tip it may have a tendency to draw itself down in between the letters. Just takes a little knack of getting the right amount to work.

lexxman

The dash looks great.I'm going to be starting mine soon. I'm planning on using the chrome spay paint ,I've done some tests and it seems to work pretty good.But I wasn't sure if the lettering was white paint or chrome? I've already repaint the dash frame and it looks great. ;D

charger2fast4u

what did you use for all the chrome outlining  around everything? i'm going to be redoing my 68 chargers dash soon and need to find out what to use for the chroming

Bobby41909

Quote from: charger2fast4u on June 22, 2010, 04:45:41 PM
what did you use for all the chrome outlining  around everything? i'm going to be redoing my 68 chargers dash soon and need to find out what to use for the chroming

Chrome paint from the local auto parts store.

Purple68

Quote from: Bobby41909 on June 22, 2010, 10:00:50 PM
Quote from: charger2fast4u on June 22, 2010, 04:45:41 PM

Chrome paint from the local auto parts store.
Some have used a silver Sharpie on the outlines with good results.

ChargerST

Does anyone have a close up picture of the rings around the gauges and switches? I'm redoing my cluster but I don't know if the chrome is just on the very top, half way down, or on the full ring around the gauges?
I plan on using rattle can chrome spray paint. It's not quite like chrome but a little bit better than silver.

oldcarnut

This is off a new 69 I have.  Unfortunately for me I have a 70 RR I was going to use it for but forgot about that the flasher switch was on the column.  Was supposed to be like the next one.

lexxman

What kind of black should you use? semi gloss;flat?

rikubot

Quote from: lexxman on July 04, 2010, 03:47:46 PM
What kind of black should you use? semi gloss;flat?

I was hoping to get an answer for lexxman's question: What kind of black should I use? satin doesn't look right. Thanks,
-Mike
'69 Charger, 440/727

oldcarnut

I can't remember exactly which paint I used but looking at the pieces I think is was a semi gloss.  Not saying for sure that's what it was.  I'll look and see if I have still laying around some and spray and extra trim piece I have and post a pic.

Brock Lee

As far as the white and silver paints go, I would suggest buying 1 Shot pinstripe/lettering enamels in the colors you want. The paint will lay down smoother and is far more rugged than model paints. It is actually designed to withstand being exposed to the elements year round and hold up for many, many years.

oldcarnut

Landau Black  SEM 15013  Just threw a coat on a extra piece I had laying around

Voss

Quote from: Bobby41909 on June 02, 2010, 08:10:30 PM
I've got my Charger in with the restoration shop but left a few things for me to restore in the garage.  For the most part its the grill and the guage cluster.  I spend approx 15 hours working on the guage cluster cleaning, cleaning, polishing, painting and more painting.  Oh and new faces for the guages and it's almost all done.  Just a few touch-up's and its good to go.  Thought I would share.  I got alot of great info from this site so far.  Especially how to restore the grill which will come in a few weeks.  
I know this isn't exactly an original look but I don't have a matching numbers car so it doesn't matter (to me).  Enjoy!

Hi,

Nice work, however your temp gauge seems to have that weird incorrect scaling. Found out this the hard way when I re-faced and calibrated my gauges recently. When you compare it to an OEM gauge you will see that the temp range is off a bit. I got a new decal from Brian at Mr. Heaterbox (6870BR07). Perfect fit, and if you calibrate the gauge you really can trust that old gauge!

Brock Lee

Voss, there were two different temp gauges used. I used the decals from premiumdecals.com. They include both versions of the temp gauge. You just had to pick the one right for your car. I am not sure what the other vendors do.