News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ballast resistor

Started by 69chargerdad, September 20, 2005, 05:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerdad

can you still get the ballast resistor any more??  and if so where?         Ken

Plumcrazy

Mopar performance sells them.  I'm almost positive NAPA does too.
They're not hard to find.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

69chargerdad

Thanks Plumcrazy  I'll check napa today     Ken :cheers:

cudaken

Napa would more than likely a better pices but you can still get them about anywhere. I just bought one from O Rellys 2 weeks ago and they had it in stock.

Cuda Ken
I am back

andy74

napa is the way to go,i work at a dodge dealer,and it took me 3 days to get one from mopar,napa has them in stock most of the time

Headrope

Quote from: andy74 on September 20, 2005, 09:36:31 AM
napa is the way to go,i work at a dodge dealer,and it took me 3 days to get one from mopar,napa has them in stock most of the time

Really. That's interesting. At which dealership exactly?.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

JimShine

My local Advance had them in stock for $3.75 each. I bought 3 and keep 2 spares in the glovebox.

Ghoste

My local Dodge dealer still has them in stock.  He either has a big box of them left over in the back or there are still a bunch of older cars that need them in the area.

69fuchs

There is even a source for 100% correct ballast resistors now!!! Correct plated bracket, comes with a correct bolt and everything.   But bring your checkbook--- They are about 38.00 at Megapartsusa.com

Afflyer

So this may sound like a dumb question, but how often do these ballast resistors go bad?  And when they do, what is the first sign that you know the ballast resistor is at fault?  I've had the same one on my Charger since I've had it now for two years and nary a problem with my ballast resistor!  Should I be scared?  :o

:icon_smile_question:
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Ghoste

In over 25 years of driving old Mopars, I've had exactly one fail.  That was two years ago.  There is no rhyme or reason to it.  They go when they choose.  It will die or fail to start.  When cranking, it will sound like it's firing or ready to start and as soon as you let the key off to the run position it will die.  Just carry one in the glovebox and forget about it.

Chryco Psycho

it can quit while running or fail so it will fire while cranking & will die in the run position ,

chargermick

Are the ballast resistors for the MP electronic ignition different than the stock ones?

69fuchs

yes, they have different ohm readings.   I can't remember what the numbers/differences are, but .5 ohm and .75ohm sound familiar.

MTPOCKET

Does the dual ballest resistor have a different ohm rating then the single ballest resistor?

Plumcrazy

Quote from: MTPOCKET on September 25, 2005, 07:09:09 PM
Does the dual ballest resistor have a different ohm rating then the single ballest resistor?

One side of the resistor is 5 ohms and the other is .5 ohms if I remember right

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

MTPOCKET

Thanks for the reply plum did not know that. :scratchchin: