News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2007 Monster Mopar Weekend - Aero Car Gathering Details

Started by hemigeno, August 01, 2007, 05:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

Hey everyone,

The annual Wing Car "gathering" at the Monster Mopar Weekend (MMW) show is coming up soon.  For those who are wondering what the dates are, the show is normally held on the weekend after Labor Day – which this year will be September 7-9.

Rich Bolzenius has lined up Harry Lee Hyde, Jr. to be on hand for questions & autographs the entire weekend.  Mr. Hyde was a crew member on the #71 K&K Insurance Dodge driven by Bobby Isaac to the 1970 NASCAR Grand National championship. 

As is normally the case, a bunch of Aero/Wing Car people are meeting at Rich's house in Union, MO on that Friday (September 7th).  That is our chance to quiz Mr. Hyde in a more informal setting, without all the distractions of the car show to worry about.  We will also try to do a videotaped interview again, although that may be subject to whether either of the Liebrandt's can attend (Danny:  hint, hint!).  Most years there are also a few former St. Louis Assembly Plant workers who stop by Rich's shop for a visit, to regale us with stories that make me wonder how any of these cars ever left the factory in one piece!  As much fun as the MMW show is, I will readily admit that Rich's event-before-the-event is often my favorite part of the whole weekend.

The car show portion itself will be about the same as last year.  We have arranged with the promoter of the MMW to reserve 20 show spaces specifically for the Aero cars, and I plan to stake them out in the same area we've had recently - just past the Registration Tent.  If possible, we would like to have all of the Wing Cars parked in a row in this area.  It's not required that everyone park together, but it sure looks great to have all the Daytonas and Superbirds lined up!

The Registration and entry process for the Wing Cars will be a little different than in years past.  As it stands right now, we won't be doing any group entry through the side gates.  For those who want to avoid having to stop at the Registration tent on Saturday, by far the best way to do that will be to Register on Friday night.  Just to be clear, Registering a car is different than Pre-registering.  Pre-registration is basically just Pre-paying for the event.  It is still worthwhile to Pre-register (prepay) for the event, since that keeps you from having to shell out cash at the show, and it also gives you an extra ticket for entry to the Show.  Registering (whether prepaid or not) needs to be done only ONCE the whole weekend, so if you do that on Friday night when there are usually no lines, there is no need to do it again on Saturday morning -- when most people go through Registration.  If there was a large enough group of people who officially Registered at the tent on Friday, we could still arrange for entry through the side gate.  However, there is really not much of a need for that since the "already Registered" line flows right through the tunnel and allows people to drive directly to their parking space without stopping at the Tent.  That's why we're ending the festivities at Rich's by 4pm, which should allow plenty of time to get to Gateway prior to the Registration Tent's closing time of 6pm.

I have also confirmed with the Gateway's Management Staff that we will be able to get the Aero cars out on the oval track to do laps.  There are a few changes to the format over last year:
>>   Like last year, only Aero cars will be doing the laps.  In our estimation, that means 1969 Charger 500s, '69 Daytonas and '70 Superbirds.  Clones of these cars are allowed.  (Since I can't push my engine-less Daytona very fast, I won't be doing any laps myself this year.)
>>   Second, the laps will be "Parade Laps" by order of Gateway International's parent company.  They got a little excited after last year's laps when one car encountered a mechanical problem that could have proven disastrous.  As a result, they are limiting us to Parade Lap speeds (although no one defined what speed that would be).  Last year, the Parade Lap speed was between 45 and 50 mph but I have not been able to confirm what speed we will be able to go.  This is still a treat to be able to get the Aero cars out on the track.
>>   Third, (like last year) the MMW promoter has stipulated that the track laps be open to any MonsterMoparWeekend participant with an Aero car.  There is no club membership requirement in order to participate.
>>   Fourth, with the change to "Parade Laps", both the track and the Monster Mopar Show Car Staff are allowing us to get on the track both Saturday AND Sunday.  Saturday's laps will start at 3:30pm (line-up 15 minutes prior), and Sunday's laps will start at 11:00am (again, line-up 15 minutes prior).
>>   Finally... Like last year, there will be a mandatory driver's meeting shortly before the cars go out on the track.  I will try and make it around to all the Aero car owners on Saturday with some printed instructions about the track's procedures.  We will line all the participating cars on the track's inner road course, near the oval track's Turn One (this is near the entrance to the Swap Meet).

Hopefully those who can make it will come.  This is probably the largest annual event for Aero cars, and is normally eclipsed in numbers only by the Talladega Reunion hosted every 5 years by Tim Wellborn & DSAC.  There is no need to register with me or Rich ahead of time, we just hope that everyone comes and has a good time.  It's one of the highlights of the year for me to meet with this many Aero car owners & aficionados at the same place.

If you have any questions about the Aero-related events we have planned, please do not hesitate to contact me.  My email address is genlewis@fidnet.com, or you can call me at my office (636) 583-8811.  Hope to see you there!!

69_500

Count me in for the show. I'm driving the 500 over once again, and my neighbor has already said that he is going to cruise over with me this year in his 67 Baracuda, or as my 3 year old says "Bacaruda". At least he knows what a 500 and a Daytona and a Superbird are though. So he has the main ones down to a T already.

As far as being there for Friday, well of course you can count on that. As long as I feel sick on that Friday, as I've used all my vacation time already, but still have 5 sick days. I think I feel a cough coming on that will set in really good come that weekend.

Howie

Does anyone have a list of good hotels around the area. 

hemigeno

Anything in the Collinsville, IL area would be really close to the show.  Here's a quick link to most of the Hotels around Collinsville:

http://www.trails.com/all-hotels/city-hotel.asp?dest=IL+Collinsville

hemi68charger

Typical, I have guard duty that weekend...... I CAN'T WAIT TILL I RETIRE IN ABOUT A YEAR !!!!!  I'm tired of missing out on so much !!!
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Howie

I too have guard that weekend but I had called them and said I would be out of state and will have to make it up.  I have gotten with Dane and he has shipped me one of his extruded wings that I will be bringing to the show. My car is not finished either so I am on foot for the weekend.
                                                                                                                                                    Howard

69_500

Did you just say "retire" in a year and half? Just kidding.

Hey one of these day's I'll actually run into you at a show Troy. Maybe Talladega which is coming up in a little over 2 years.

3--Daytona

Boy Oh  Boy,,,,,,,,,,,I'm not at all sure that the wing car world can withstand the two of you getting together,,,,,wow----------

3--daytona

69_500

You don't think so Jim? I mean lets see here, between me and Troy we have a total of 0 wing cars. Oh well we all know what the two of us wants though. One of these days we will both be at a show with a wing car, or at least I hope so.

moparnutty

I will be there with the C500 this year.Can't wait.

69_500

Ah so I won't be the only C500 there this year then. Good, maybe Jerry will bringh is 500 as well so we might have 3 500's there.

3--Daytona

Jerry will be there you can count on it.

3-daytona

69_500

Hey Jim, will he be in  the 500 or the 71? Either car is great to stare at and drool over, but you know me, I prefer looking at his 500. :0

3--Daytona

Danny,,, I'm sure Jerry will bring that old copper colored car.

3-daytona

69_500

Ya know for some reason my 3 year old loves those copper color 500's. I think it happened shortly after he fell and hit his head about a year and a half ago.

Hemi_tyme

I'll be there with my white Bird. Looking forward to the track laps and seeing everyone again :2thumbs:
Ken

hemi68charger

Quote from: 3--Daytona on August 08, 2007, 04:17:09 PM
Boy Oh  Boy,,,,,,,,,,,I'm not at all sure that the wing car world can withstand the two of you getting together,,,,,wow----------

3--daytona

And why would that be Mr. Jim  ???  :icon_smile_big:

I know, I know..... You winged-types are jealous of our abillity to not have to worry about parking with that big nose up front..  :lol:

In reflection,,,,,,,, dang I want one of those noses...... lol

Danny,, we'll get one.... I for one will get a Plymouth version or a Dodge version..........
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

69_500

What your interested in a Superbird or a daytona? Not I.

A Daytona or nothing. That is my opinion, not worth much but its mine. I'd rather keep my C500 than have a Bird. call me crazy but thats me.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on August 17, 2007, 05:02:12 PM
What your interested in a Superbird or a daytona? Not I.

A Daytona or nothing. That is my opinion, not worth much but its mine. I'd rather keep my C500 than have a Bird. call me crazy but thats me.

Well, that's why I'm looking to trade off the '68 for a winged car.. I would NEVER get rid of Dana for a Superbird.. Only a Daytona.  We definitely are on the same page.....

T
Troy

Lifsgrt

In reference to the hotel question, the Collinsville Holiday Inn has a MMW price of $88 or so, including breakfast.  There was a decent gathering of guys there in 2005.  The normal price is about $144.  There will be some non-aero car guys there (like me until my project is done), so there might be too many Chargers in the lot to suit some folks.
About the extruded wing...I hope to see that for future reference.  See ya there. :cheers:
Best time 11.07@121

hotrod98

Just booked a room at the Best Western across the interstate from the Holiday Inn. We'll leave the hotrods home and drive the Daytona. As in... Daytona Truck. This way we can get into the infield as a non-judged participant and be close to the swap meet. Kind of nice to have our own food and drink as well as seating and shelter.  Don't have to carry those swap meet purchases as far either.
Can't wait to see the wing cars again. I really thought that we would have a cloner ready for this years show. Should be ready by this time next year though. May even have Howie's car ready as well.
See ya there.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hemi68charger

Best of luck on the show and I hope it's great weather !!!!   :2thumbs:
Troy

hemigeno

Thanks, Troy.  At least it's cool weather, can't say much about it being dry though  :'(

I had the opportunity to meet Harry Lee Hyde, Jr. yesterday, as he was already telling stories at Rich's house last night.  DC.com member xs29j8Bullitt (Allen) and I went to Gateway to stake out the parking spaces, and afterwards we stopped by Rich's place.  I wish I could have stayed a lot longer since they were just getting ready to eat some BBQ fresh off the grille when I left.  Got home to a cold bowl of instant oatmeal   :brickwall:  Wonder if my wife was trying to tell me something?  At least Allen got to enjoy the stories and the food!

It should be a great weekend, no matter what the weather does.  Hopefully I'll see some of you guys around this weekend.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on September 07, 2007, 08:05:35 AM
Thanks, Troy.  At least it's cool weather, can't say much about it being dry though  :'(

I had the opportunity to meet Harry Lee Hyde, Jr. yesterday, as he was already telling stories at Rich's house last night.  DC.com member xs29j8Bullitt (Allen) and I went to Gateway to stake out the parking spaces, and afterwards we stopped by Rich's place.  I wish I could have stayed a lot longer since they were just getting ready to eat some BBQ fresh off the grille when I left.  Got home to a cold bowl of instant oatmeal   :brickwall:  Wonder if my wife was trying to tell me something?  At least Allen got to enjoy the stories and the food!

It should be a great weekend, no matter what the weather does.  Hopefully I'll see some of you guys around this weekend.

I heard that a cool front was coming down.. Maybe it'll blow through without much fanfair.. Allen's a great guy, I've known him since '87... Oatmeal? Doesn't she know this is your big show?.. Ahhhhh, the sacrifices.. lol   Microwaves are great for warming up that cold stuff.. lol

I wish I could make it.. But, I have guard duty this weekend.....  :'(    Ya'll need another C500 out there...... Look forward in seeing the pics....... Remember, when things get hectic, take a deep breath..................
Troy

gtx6970

Geno or  anyone have any idea how much swap spaces are