News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Problems with home rebuilt 727 transmission

Started by idahogrumpy, August 03, 2007, 07:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idahogrumpy

I was getting tired of trying to get through the 1/4 mile with my 4 speed so I decided to rebuild a 727 for my Charger. :shruggy:
I took a 69 727 that had been setting in my garage and with the help of three differant manuals proceeded to tear it down and and put it back together again. The rebuild had a few frustrating moments but I was able to work my way through them. My problem is that when the car is put into low the it goes like hell, hit second ------------ nothing, hit drive --------------nothing.   Has a good reverse! 

It has a forward pattern manual valve body that I believe was done with A trans-go tf3 kit. The valve body was disassembled cleaned and reassembled as part of the rebuild. I think I must have done something wrong with the valve body. I checked the clutches and servos with air and everything seemed to work before I installed the valve body and buttoned her up. I have a new Cheetah shifter and have checked its adjustments twice, OK.  I have not checked pressures yet, that will happen this weekend.
I just need a gentle push into the right direction to figure this one out. I know there is a bunch that I have probably left out, but perhaps one of you tranny guru's have seen this before.
Any one have the instructions for the installation of the trans-go tf3 shift kit that you could email to me?
I'm thinking maybe the tf3 instructions could help me with this valve body. The valve body came from a friend who's transmission was built by another person. (Instruction sheet long gone) The transmission this valve body was in went bye bye and my friend bought another rebuilt transmission with a manual valve body already in it. 
Please Help...    Thanks Grumpy  :brickwall:
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

John_Kunkel

When you say "hit second ------------ nothing, hit drive --------------nothing" do you mean it stays in 1st gear or goes into Neutral (nothing)?

Since the VB was removed from a different trans chances are the plug that blocks off the governor port in the case wasn't installed in the new case. This could prevent upshifting.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

idahogrumpy

John thank you for the reply.  Yes I mean like neutral, however I have read that the manual valve body will free wheel in low  so it may be that it just seems like it is in neutral. Please talk to me about the governor plug.  The books I have do not talk about plugging the governor port in the case.    Thanks Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

John_Kunkel

The way the TF-3 makes the valve body full manual is to reroute the governor circuits so that the governor pressure circuit always has full line pressure, this way the trans will shift to the selected gear regardless of car speed. If the port in the back of the case that leads to the governor is left open, the governor pressure can bleed off through it. See the diagram below, the governor pressure port is where the soft plug is supposed to be installed.

Because the fluid routing for the gears is the same as stock, the rear band will apply in 1st and should supply compression braking; reverse pattern manual VB's usually don't apply the rear band so there is no compression braking, it just freewheels when throttling back in 1st.

idahogrumpy

John, my case doesn't have the governor pressure port plugged. Can I tap it and use an 1/8 pipe plug?  :shruggy: I have read the installation instructions to the Turbo Action forward pattern manual valve body and turbo action does not mention plugging that port. Turbo action does state that if the transmission is not completely assembled that the governor weight and valve can be removed when installing their valve body. Does Turbo Action block the governor pressure port inside their valve body? Is turbo actions approach that much differant than Trans go's TF3?
Thank you for the education John,,,,,, Grumpy  :2thumbs:

I'm about ready to clean up another valve body that is stock and try it just to see if it shifts.  :brickwall: :rotz:
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

John_Kunkel

TA makes their own steel separator plate for their VB and the governor holes are just omitted, so flow to the case is blocked by the plate. When reusing the original separator plate with the TF-3 kit, other provisions are needed to block the passage.

If the hole in the case is correct for tapping 1/8" NPT that is a good way to plug the port.

idahogrumpy

Update:  OK after finally getting the instructions on the TF3 shift kit I went back into my valve body to check every thing out and found one orange spring to be installed on the wrong side of the spool. (Problem solved?) :eek2: That was the only problem I could find. While the valve body was out I installed the plug that john spoke about. (Thanks John) I then buttoned her up again, filled the beast with type f, checked the cable  adjustment, (found another problem there) :eek2: and  tried again. I  have reverse, manual 1st locks up, actually locks rear tires! It will start out in second and will shift to third (sometimes on it s own, manual shift v body??) It will start out in third, seems like it may be slipping a little in third, may be the 2800 stall converter. Before I did all of this I checked line pressure 150 psi @ 2000 rpm. Boy I must have really screwed this thing up!  :brickwall:  I felt really confident with my rebuild and now this. :flame:

I give up, I'm getting real tired of laying on my back! FYI do not try this at home. Leave it to a professional.  :slap:  :laugh:
Any body have a stick of dynamite :icon_smile_question:
        Grumpy    Really GRUMPY :icon_smile_angry:
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY

idahogrumpy

Update number 2 .   I installed a untouched stock valve body into my transmission and removed the governor pressure port plug today. I now have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Reverse neutral and all :icon_smile_tongue:. The tf3 equipped valve body was the problem. Something isn't right with it. :brickwall:  At least now I know that the basic transmission rebuild is good.? Just thought maybe someone would be interested. :shruggy:     Grumpy

John, any ideas on whats up with the tf3 equipped valve body? Everything looked ok.
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY