News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hot air balloon ride pics

Started by bull, September 22, 2005, 01:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

My wife and I just celebrated our 11th anniversary so I surprised her with a hot air balloon ride this morning. It was a great day for it. The wind was blowing between about 8 and 15 mph and it was sunny and warm (once the sun came up). We covered 15 miles in a little over and hour and only missed our planned landing spot by a few miles. We got up to about 3,000 feet at one point but for the most part we stayed around 1,000-1,500 feet.

1. Me 'supervising' the setup
2. Carol helping inflate the balloon
3. Ready to go
4. Liftoff

bull

More...
1. Fire in the hole
2. Sunrise on Mt. Hood
3. Long way down
4. The reflection of our balloon on the Tualatin River

bull

1. Our shadow in the trees.
2. Me pulling the top down after landing
3. Inflation shot
4. Champagne brunch at the winery after our ride

4402tuff4u

Thanks for sharing the nice pictures.  It's always nice to soar with the birds. ;D
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

TruckDriver

Cool pics........ But NO amount of money in the world would get me up in a ballon, NO WAY!!!
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Khyron

i would so throw up :(

but thanks for the pics!

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

4402tuff4u

You should of taken the 30-06! That's the best "tree stand" ever! Any white tails in your neck of the woods? :laugh:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

bull

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on September 22, 2005, 08:03:35 AM
You should of taken the 30-06! That's the best "tree stand" ever! Any white tails in your neck of the woods? :laugh:

Not where we were. The forests are so dense around here you can't see a thing from any angle. It would work dandy in Eastern Oregon though. ^-^

QuotePosted on: Today at 08:16:11 AMPosted by: Khyron 
Insert Quote
i would so throw up
but thanks for the pics!

I'm not afraid of heights but many people who go ballooning are afraid of heights and it doesn't bother them. Both the pilot and the one crew member are afraid of heights and they go up almost every day in the summer.

RD

that is awesome, but one question because I have never known, how do you navigate one of those?  is it just by the wind and your coattails or is there a science to that I am unaware of?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Shakey

Quote from: AllBlueRT on September 22, 2005, 08:45:58 AM
And good job taking care of the better half.

:iagree:

You're a good man for treating her to something special on your anniversary!

Kudos

Charger_Fan

Quote from: RD on September 22, 2005, 12:06:16 PM
that is awesome, but one question because I have never known, how do you navigate one of those?   is it just by the wind and your coattails or is there a science to that I am unaware of?
I've always wondered that too. It seems that more often than not, you'd end up miles away from where you intended to go.

Nice pics, Bull. That ought to keep a smile on her face for a while. ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Badbob

Went ballooning over Lake Tahoe, they use a very large balloon and take off and land from a boat on the lake, worth every $$$.

http://www.laketahoeballoons.com/

bull

Quote from: RD on September 22, 2005, 12:06:16 PM
that is awesome, but one question because I have never known, how do you navigate one of those?   is it just by the wind and your coattails or is there a science to that I am unaware of?

I asked the same question and the pilot said the wind blows in different directions at different elevations so you usually get to where you're going by zig-zagging your way across the sky between 500- and 3000-ft. He told his chaser where he intended to land before we took off and we ended up pretty close to that spot so there is a science to it, though not an exact science. I could feel the wind blowing whenever we changed our altitude until the balloon decided to go with it, then you don't feel any wind because you're traveling at the same speed and in the same direction.

BigBlackDodge

Cool! Thats the perfect Charger hunting platform ever!.............stealth! :icon_smile_cool:

"Hi there..........I was ballooning over your house yesterday and noticed an  old Dodge parked around back............." :yesnod:

BBD

MoparYoungGun

Really neat pics Bull, thanks for sharing.

I always thought that there was more to guiding a one of those balloons than just changing altitudes. I guess you learn something new everyday.

2fast4u

Bull !!!!
   You are AWESOME Dude!  You not only did something wonderful for you wife and yourself, but ALSO managed to take us along for the ride "so to speak"! 

My hats off to you my friend......and thank you for sharing your experience!  thats prolly about as close as I'll get to a ballon ride.  Always wanted to do that.

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Silver R/T

looks like it was plenty of fun, congrats on the anniversary
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

8WHEELER

Bull I give you an A+ for doing that for your wife.
I have never been in one and never will, if I tried to do that for my wife she would hit me in the face.
We lost our first dog to one of those that was landing real close to our house one day, we were almost
home and the neighbors told us about the balloon that they thought was going to hit our tree's
out back or land in our back yard. Well we got home and only one dog left in the yard, got a call at 6am
dog is dead 11yrs ago now. They do seem like fun but lots and lots of dogs and cats get scared to
hell and run away not to be seen again.
OK I am done play on, I am glad you did that for your wife I am feeling lame right now, need to do
something cool for my wife soon    ;D.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Lowprofile

Quote from: Shakey on September 22, 2005, 12:29:08 PM
Quote from: AllBlueRT on September 22, 2005, 08:45:58 AM
And good job taking care of the better half.

:iagree:

You're a good man for treating her to something special on your anniversary!

Kudos

Thanks. My wife says I gotta take her for a balloon ride now. You suck. :icon_smile_angry:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Steve P.

Quote from: 2fast4u on September 23, 2005, 09:10:22 PM
  Bull !!!!
    You are AWESOME Dude!   You not only did something wonderful for you wife and yourself, but ALSO managed to take us along for the ride "so to speak"!  

My hats off to you my friend......and thank you for sharing your experience!   thats prolly about as close as I'll get to a ballon ride.   Always wanted to do that.

2fast

I could not agree more.. What an extraordinary gift to your wife..   You Da Man, Bull.....  Happy anniversary to both of you... ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida