News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Edelbrock Carbs

Started by BronzeOnSteelies, August 06, 2007, 09:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BronzeOnSteelies

My 68 has a stock 440 as far as I know. It came with an Edelbrock Performer Carb #1407 (750cfm) with an electric choke kit. I have a 727 trans with 3:23 gears and street intentions only.
I have read through a lot of carb and throttle linkage threads on this site and have what I guess is a basic question.

About three of my buds have advised me that the carb I have is for a Chevy, that the 440's need to run on a Carter AVS or the new version by Edelbrock (Thunder Series AVS carbs i.e. 1806).

I saw a thread on the site where a lot of guys used the Performer carbs for 383's.

I ask also because I have a hesitation unless I tromp on it and the acceleration of the car is a little less than I anticipated.

Without going thru all the things I have done to alleviate the hesitation I am interested in the question does it have to be an AVS?   :shruggy:
68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T

Ghoste

The carb you have is a knockoff of the old Carter AFB.  Your friends are right that your car came stock with an AVS but the AFB was used on a lot of Chrylser products as well (the 426 Street Hemi for example).  I would try to tune the AFB first before running out and buying the Eddy AVS.

aifilaw

toss them both and buy a holley or clone DP'er
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

68 RT

On my car I had the same problem you have. Changed the step up springs and rods. And also the primary jets. But the tuning kit for the 1407/1410. Check summit racing or local speed shop. Also auto zone pep boys etc should be able to get them to.

John_Kunkel

From my personal experience the off-idle stumble is common with the Carter/Edelbrock carbs, I believe it's because of the lazy accelerator pump design.

The stumble is the result of a temporary lean condition that occurs when the fuel delivery changes from the idle circuit to the transitition slot as the butterflies open and introduce more air; without a good pump shot to enrich the mixture the engine stumbles. Running the idle mixture slightly overrich will often cure the stumble.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

jg68

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 07, 2007, 05:13:21 PM
From my personal experience the off-idle stumble is common with the Carter/Edelbrock carbs, I believe it's because of the lazy accelerator pump design.

The stumble is the result of a temporary lean condition that occurs when the fuel delivery changes from the idle circuit to the transitition slot as the butterflies open and introduce more air; without a good pump shot to enrich the mixture the engine stumbles. Running the idle mixture slightly overrich will often cure the stumble.

Yep, i had the same problem with my 1411 750, i paid 55.00 for the tune-kit, that was a total waiste of money, so i returned it, all the springs did was either delay the stumble or speed it up ::), never cured it, so i got smart & opened up the IFRs in the primary boosters, this help the stumble some, then i drilled out the squirter to a .041 from the .035, this made a world of difference, so iopened it up alittle more to a .045 & it was even better, then i put the pump arm in the middle hole for kicks, it stumbled bad again :rotz:, so then i realized it was all in the pump shot on these carbs, so i put it back in the top hole & bent it a hair more for an even longer shot, it was dead on, throttle responce up the ying-yang :2thumbs:, even with the stock jets & mixture screws 1.3/4 turns out :slap:

aifilaw

Quote from: jg68 on August 07, 2007, 07:13:46 PM

Yep, i had the same problem with my 1411 750, i paid 55.00 for the tune-kit, that was a total waiste of money, so i returned it, all the springs did was either delay the stumble or speed it up ::), never cured it, so i got smart & opened up the IFRs in the primary boosters, this help the stumble some, then i drilled out the squirter to a .041 from the .035, this made a world of difference, so iopened it up alittle more to a .045 & it was even better, then i put the pump arm in the middle hole for kicks, it stumbled bad again :rotz:, so then i realized it was all in the pump shot on these carbs, so i put it back in the top hole & bent it a hair more for an even longer shot, it was dead on, throttle responce up the ying-yang :2thumbs:, even with the stock jets & mixture screws 1.3/4 turns out :slap:

I got my old 1411 750 sitting on a bench that probably needs a rebuild... want to buy? :)

jg68

Quote from: aifilaw on August 07, 2007, 09:19:47 PM
Quote from: jg68 on August 07, 2007, 07:13:46 PM

I got my old 1411 750 sitting on a bench that probably needs a rebuild... want to buy? :)

I really don't want to mess with them anymore, they just don't compare to a holley, too me, even at a cheap price, there just not worth it, now if your giving it away :D, i'll take it :smilielol:

Charger1973

Quote from: BronzeOnSteelies on August 06, 2007, 09:56:55 PM

My 68 has a stock 440 as far as I know. It came with an Edelbrock Performer Carb #1407 (750cfm) with an electric choke kit. I have a 727 trans with 3:23 gears and street intentions only.
I have read through a lot of carb and throttle linkage threads on this site and have what I guess is a basic question.

About three of my buds have advised me that the carb I have is for a Chevy, that the 440's need to run on a Carter AVS or the new version by Edelbrock (Thunder Series AVS carbs i.e. 1806).

I saw a thread on the site where a lot of guys used the Performer carbs for 383's.

I ask also because I have a hesitation unless I tromp on it and the acceleration of the car is a little less than I anticipated.

Without going thru all the things I have done to alleviate the hesitation I am interested in the question does it have to be an AVS?   :shruggy:

I just bought one of the Thunder Series AVS carbs for my 73 400.  I never heard there was only one certain model you could use, its just the one I wanted.  The AVS just means it has easily adjustable secondaries.  Im not an expert but really I think you should be fine with the carb you have.  They all basically do the same job...

aifilaw

Quote from: jg68 on August 07, 2007, 10:26:25 PM
Quote from: aifilaw on August 07, 2007, 09:19:47 PM

I really don't want to mess with them anymore, they just don't compare to a holley, too me, even at a cheap price, there just not worth it, now if your giving it away :D, i'll take it :smilielol:

Precisely the original point I was shooting for.

John_Kunkel

That is why I don't run the Carter type either, no matter how much you tweak the pump it will never be as positive as the Holley design.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mick70RR

My 440 Road Runner had a new eddy #1407 carb fitted when I got it and it had never been tuned. Car didn't run too well and I spent a long time getting it right. I found the stock jetting way too rich and ended up with 107 primaries with 7337 rods and 104 secondaries. A few other mods were made and now the car runs fine. It's a simple carb and easy to work on, rods can be changed in about 30 seconds and you don't spill fuel over the hot engine when you are changing jets.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads