News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carbon Fiber

Started by Blown70, September 22, 2005, 02:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blown70

Does anyone have experience working with this.  I mean have you actually made a part using resin or just purchased it......

I found a place with the cloth and resin to make it but if anyone has a good suggestion?

Also, some say it must be heated to 350 degrees to cure other say it will at low temp just may take longer. 

ALSO, can you coat it like fiberglass with a gell coat?

Blown70

MyMopar

I saw an episode of Mythbusters where the guy was making something with carbon fiber.  He didn't cure it using heat or anything but it was done using a vaccum mold process.  He made a mold of the part he was doing, then layed in some gel, put the carbon fiber down, layed in more gel, covered it in some plastic material and then hooked up a vaccum pump to draw everything down and tight. 
Now I'm not sure if the vaccum mold process is required, but I would think so.

Silver R/T

yes carbon fiber uses vacuum mold process, different from fiberglass, why go with carbon fiber? I would recommend fiberglass unless youre going for look of C/F
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Blown70

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 23, 2005, 11:24:17 PM
yes carbon fiber uses vacuum mold process, different from fiberglass, why go with carbon fiber? I would recommend fiberglass unless youre going for look of C/F

Well the look is part of it.  I am going to try some.  A place has carbon fiber with red kevlar..... I would like to use this for some of the parts on my car.  I do not need the strength but the look.

I also found a place that has rods and tube that I will use for other parts of the car.

Is the vacuum process necessary for flat parts or just molded example like a hood etc?

phat69charger