News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Setting up brakes for street/strip

Started by Ghoste, September 23, 2005, 06:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

For those of you who make only occasional trips to the track, do you back off your drum shoes at all or leave them as is?
I'm not talking about backed off so you are losing brakes either.  I mean getting rid of excess drag and how much do you think the brake adjustment on the average street car is slwoing it down?

bull

I've never raced on the strip but just guessing I'd say the only real advantage to putting 100% to the fronts would be for doing free wheel burnouts prior to a race. I don't think there's any advantage otherwise.

Chryco Psycho

I have never bothered to back them off , it couldn`t hurt to back them off a few clicks I guess

Ghoste

I don't mean 100% to the front, just lessening the drag.  If you aren't doing it CP, I'm not going to worry about it too much unless they're really tight.

Chryco Psycho

bull

If you have disc brakes up front you could get one of these dealie-whoppers and with a flip of the lever have the fronts doing all the work:

Ghoste

I do have discs on the front but the only time I would only want the fronts working alone is to do a burnout or in the staging lights.  I have a line-lock for that.  (which I'm guessing that is as well?)
The rest of the time I want all four corners working.

bull

Those prop valves can be set at any ratio I believe, or they might be preset at the factory. 100%-0, 70%-30% etc. The one I have pictured above I believe can be set at two specified ratios and then you just flip the lever to choose which one you want. Some guys will set one side to 100%-0 (front to rear) for the burnout and then flip it to the other side (70%-30% for example) for the race. On the other hand the prop valves with the knob adjustment can run the gamut from 100% to front or rear and everything in between.

Steve P.

Backing the adjusters off a few clicks will remove any open friction yet TOO many clicks will give you a low pedal.. I have never bothered to adjust them as I damn sure don't want the car to feel lose when I hit the STOP pedal at 115 mph.........
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida