News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

buttons on the seats coming off

Started by peter73charger, August 17, 2007, 10:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter73charger

On my 1973 Charger the buttons on the seats keep coming off.  I have snapped them back on but my fat butt when I twist to get out - well they come off.  My wife says that at 250lbs that is the problem.  I was going to put a dab of clear caulking under the button before I snap them on again - but decided I better check first.  Peter Thielman -= Napanee, Ontario Canada

Charger1973

Are they stock or reproduction seat covers?  (How do the buttons attach?) 

Mike DC

Legendary's buttons on '69 Charger seats have been falling off for at least the last decade.  They'll give you every excuse under the sun if you call them about it, but the bottom line is that they've known all about the issue for years and they show no signs of ever doing anything about it.

Maybe it's the same issue with your '73 seats if they're reproductions.

jwc

I have a 73 and have the same problem with the buttons.Mine also came from legandery.Have 5 buttons missing and only been on less then a year.
73 Charger

JrJohnston

I have had that problem,but I make all the button's that go an .It's not just the covers from Legendary,PUI is the worst of the bunch,I put a set of there cover's on and 4 of the button's were in the bottom of the box.What I have been doing is putting a little silicone between the button cap and the base,to hold them together and then take the retainer and flatten out the center to tighten it up and so far it has been working.
Junior Johnston
SCB AutoTrim
2565 B W. Bennett
Springfield,Mo 65807
417-869-7700
www.scbautotrim-mo.com
www.myspace.com/scbautotrim

Mike DC

I've taken to just not putting the buttons on in the first place.  They usually just send you the buttons separately in a little plastic bag with the seatcovers.

The perfection of having the little buttons isn't worth the aggravation of the buttons never staying on.  (And it's not like those buttons make it any more comfortable.)

Charger1973

The buttons on my seats were already installed and they attach to the seat foam to help hold the seat covers in place.  I wouldnt want to install them without or they wouldnt fit right. 

71charger_fan

My covers are from Legendary and the buttons are constantly coming off. Every couple of years or so, I pull the seat out and replace the buttons. Then the cycle begins again.

JimShine

Same problem here. One came off the first time the seat was sat in. Now all are missing. I am glad on my personal car I went with no buttons. The seats look baggier, but I will live with that over the metal button stumps.

Charger1973

Maybe someone can reproduce just the buttons with a design that wont come apart? 

mysil bergsprekken

Same problem here! The plastic/synthetic covers keeps falling off the lower metal piece on the button and the metal piece is sticking up.
Anyone know of where to buy new buttons that I can put in instead ??
69 charger RT

twodko

Yep, same here with my 69's Legendary covers. I tried a dab of epoxy but they still came off. They do sell covers without the buttons but it's a stick in craw to pay twice for covers.  :icon_smile_angry:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Brock Lee

Quote from: JimShine on August 18, 2007, 11:37:34 PM
but I will live with that over the metal button stumps.

Perfect description!

ODZKing

Mine came off while installing the covers.  If you call them and tell them you are dissatisfied, basically all they will do is send you more buttons.  But they will.
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 17, 2007, 09:54:17 PM

Legendary's buttons on '69 Charger seats have been falling off for at least the last decade.  They'll give you every excuse under the sun if you call them about it, but the bottom line is that they've known all about the issue for years and they show no signs of ever doing anything about it.

Maybe it's the same issue with your '73 seats if they're reproductions.

twodko

I didn't know that. I'll contact them most rickytik myself........some extra buttons will be more than I have now.  :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Bobs69

The first thing I thought of was "legendary interiors!"

Glad to see it's not just me.

In Napanee Ontario eh?  I'm closer to Brockville myself.

mysil bergsprekken

I didn't see buttons listed in their catalog. (Legendary Interiors) But I sendt them an e mail request.
69 charger RT

69rtse4spd

Quote from: Charger1973 on August 18, 2007, 11:58:37 PM
Maybe someone can reproduce just the buttons with a design that wont come apart? 

Ah, a new challenge, let me see what I can come up with. Might be asking some of you to be guinea pigs.

ODZKing

Quote from: mysil bergsprekken on September 21, 2011, 10:11:52 PM
I didn't see buttons listed in their catalog. (Legendary Interiors) But I sendt them an e mail request.
Public relations.  Here is who you need to e-mail.
edetaeye@legendaryautointeriors.com

mysil bergsprekken

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on September 26, 2011, 07:48:22 PM

Ah, a new challenge, let me see what I can come up with. Might be asking some of you to be guinea pigs.

So you can manufacture the buttons? That would be great. I'm sure there is a need for these, since it seems a lot of people have the same issues with them.
69 charger RT

mysil bergsprekken

Quote from: mysil bergsprekken on September 28, 2011, 04:48:09 AM
Quote from: 69rtse4spd on September 26, 2011, 07:48:22 PM

So you can manufacture the buttons? That would be great. I'm sure there is a need for these, since it seems a lot of people have the same issues with them.

Thanks, I will give them/it a go aswell.
69 charger RT

hemi68charger

M Daytona has done that three times................ I solved the problem, scoured the universe for original buttons from seats people were junking out inlew of new seat covers. The originals are FAR more surperior than any reproduction. Actually, just replaced one yesterday and will replace another today then the final seat will go back into the Daytona. When I took them out recently to replace the carpet, it was a good opportunity to swap out.

But, I did attempt to fix one of those reproduction buttons I had. I cut away some of the excess vinyl material on the button with a very sharp exacto-blade being careful not to get too much. Then, I set the backing portion (part with the retaining tabs) and pressed in as far as I could into the button. Then, I took a small punch and hammered the backing into the button some more. This forced the backing tab deeper into the button and it was pretty solid this time. We'll see what happens in the near future.

Cheers and good luck..
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

71charger

mine stay on......... gotta love them stock buttons!
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

RallyeMike

I think the first time I complained about this to Legendary was about 1994 for the seats in my 74 Rallye. Forward 17 years later .....They could have fixed this years ago by having the correct buttons made, but they pretty much don't care because they are nearly the only game in town.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

sanders7981

I am not looking forward to this... I am going to use legendary when I order my interior components, but I don't want to deal with buttons coming off.  Glad I kept my original seat buttons, maybe I can dye them to match saddle tan.