News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

buttons on the seats coming off

Started by peter73charger, August 17, 2007, 10:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Quote from: sanders7981 on October 12, 2011, 09:16:58 PM
I am not looking forward to this... I am going to use legendary when I order my interior components, but I don't want to deal with buttons coming off.  Glad I kept my original seat buttons, maybe I can dye them to match saddle tan. 

Yeah I'm not looking forward to this either and the front seats were already redone on mine so there's no buttons to save.  I do have the ones from the rear seat although one is gone and it's the original.

There must be a way to secure those suckers so they stay on, I can't believe Legendary doesn't put a little more effort into solving this issue.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Carrnutt

Aww crap!  :o

You guys are saying I've been holding my kids accountable for nothing?  :RantExplode:

Oh well I'm sure they've done something else I just haven't caught them at yet...  :smilielol:
1969 Rest-O-Fied Charger 383HP, Disc brake conversion, electronic ignition.
1993 D350 Curmmins
2006 Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Ram 3500 Cummins

ODZKing

Was there any new solution to this?  I had another pop off last night.
Gonna cost me to have the seats pulled apart and redone replacing the buttons.  I have a bag full but this is a pain.
:RantExplode:

twodko

I posted a thread about this a few months back. I put Legendary upholstery in
my car and had the same issue with the buttons coming off.

It's been four years since that purchase but I called them up, they found my order
and sent me a half dozen new buttons no charge.

Only the button caps came off mine. I cut a slit halfway through a 5x7 index card
and slipped it under the button body to protect the seat cover. I pulled caps off the new buttons
and spread a very light coat of clear Gorilla glue on the inside edge of the cap using a toothpick.
Then I just position the cap over the button body and pressed it in place
using a smooth jaw diagonal tip needle nose plier. I removed the card right after.

This glue is a bit thick like Elmer's white glue with a workable open time.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

ACUDANUT

Imo, buttons on a car seat is just a bad idea.  I see no benefit at all.

ODZKing

I think I know the Gorilla Glue you are referring to, kind of white in color and like Elmers as you say. I believe have some. That is very helpful, unlike some other responses.
How long did you let it sit?
Quote from: twodko on May 08, 2014, 11:06:53 AM
I posted a thread about this a few months back. I put Legendary upholstery in
my car and had the same issue with the buttons coming off.

It's been four years since that purchase but I called them up, they found my order
and sent me a half dozen new buttons no charge.

Only the button caps came off mine. I cut a slit halfway through a 5x7 index card
and slipped it under the button body to protect the seat cover. I pulled caps off the new buttons
and spread a very light coat of clear Gorilla glue on the inside edge of the cap using a toothpick.
Then I just position the cap over the button body and pressed it in place
using a smooth jaw diagonal tip needle nose plier. I removed the card right after.

This glue is a bit thick like Elmer's white glue with a workable open time.  :Twocents:

twodko

Actually this stuff is clear, comes in a little squeeze bottle in the super glue section.
It's open time is several minutes but once you press the button caps on they won't migrate
back up. At least mine didn't. The compression fit is pretty snug. I did mine one day several weeks back
detailing the interior for an event. I didn't sit in the car until the next day but I think
letting the stuff cure overnight would be prudent. :shruggy:

ODZKing

This is the stuff I know I have.  Came in a 2 pac of the bottle and a small squeeze tube of Gorilla brand Super Glue ... or what ever, from Lowes.
Anyway, I am fairly certain this dries kind of white-ish-tan.
In any case, I'll give it a try.  The worst is, they come off   :shruggy:
Thing is I can't see taking everything apart to replace with the same crappy buttons that are going to do the same.

ACUDANUT

Buttons get caught on everything.  :brickwall:

timmycharger

Quote from: ODZKing on May 08, 2014, 01:39:57 PM
This is the stuff I know I have.  Came in a 2 pac of the bottle and a small squeeze tube of Gorilla brand Super Glue ... or what ever, from Lowes.
Anyway, I am fairly certain this dries kind of white-ish-tan.
In any case, I'll give it a try.  The worst is, they come off   :shruggy:
Thing is I can't see taking everything apart to replace with the same crappy buttons that are going to do the same.

I prefer to use SHOE GOO, available at Rite Aid, I swear I could fix the space shuttle with this stuff...

twodko

That's the same stuff, I just have the clear variety.

Agree about ShooGoo.......it's like duct tape in a tube.

ODZKing

Well, I did it last night, well see.  If that doesn't work, I'll try the shoe goo stuff.   :shruggy:

twodko

How'd it go? Mine have survived my jug butt so far.

ODZKing

Yep, we went for a club cruise to the FX Matts/Saranac brewery on Saturday and it held. Squeezing it on, I made a couple little marks in it, but it held.
Thanks so much.  Now I know it can be done.

twodko

Those marks are quite possibly my fault.  :brickwall:

One key bit of info that slipped my feeble mind was that I wrapped the jaws
of my diagonal needle nose pliers with blue painter's tape. I'm sorry I
forgot to include this tip.

Tom

ODZKing

Hey, is what it is Tom. I have a feeling it won't be forever anyway.  At least they're on for now.   :2thumbs:

EccentricMagpies

I finally had a chance to get my car out of storage this past weekend.  I looked at the buttons and I do not see any missing.    :shruggy:
Maybe I just don't get my car out as often as others on here?

I bought new covers about 3 years ago
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

twodko

That's good news! If my replacements don't hold up my plan is to find out if Legendary will
sell me just the seat bottom upholstery. It's only the buttons here that come off in my car not the back rests
and the seats look awful with the caps missing.

HANDM

It's not so much that they pop off, which of course, they have, for me it's the ones on the seat back always digging into my bony spine!

Ghoste

I don't have an issue with the buttons on my spine but I'll tell you what, if you think the buttons are bad, try driving a couple hundred miles in hot humid weather in a 67 Charger!  Those seat back ornaments in them are absolute killers.  I left them off when I redid the seats in my 67.

ODZKing

Quote from: Ghoste on May 26, 2014, 02:00:21 PM
I don't have an issue with the buttons on my spine but I'll tell you what, if you think the buttons are bad, try driving a couple hundred miles in hot humid weather in a 67 Charger!  Those seat back ornaments in them are absolute killers.  I left them off when I redid the seats in my 67.
Got them on mine and they are not a problem at all.  You must have installed them with out having them recessed.
Even so, we've never had a issue at all.   :shruggy:

Ghoste

I didn't install them, I left them off.  It was the Dodge installation that was biting me.

ODZKing

Quote from: Ghoste on May 27, 2014, 05:41:44 AM
I didn't install them, I left them off.  It was the Dodge installation that was biting me.
Rear seats are original, you can see the difference. After some years those tabs sort of loosen up.  They should be recessed if the foam is not compressed.