News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bengal Charger info, pics and ad

Started by bull, August 20, 2007, 01:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 22, 2007, 08:07:28 PM
GTX6970, You say you seen 3 advertised around there locally, Where is around here located? What City do you live in? Sorry if everybody knows where you live but me? :scratchchin: LEON.
Cincinnati of course! :cheers:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

daytonalo

Troy

Quote from: daytonalo on August 22, 2007, 08:19:33 PM
WHAT IS THAT COLOR CALLED ?
Orange ;)

I never knew the paint code/name for the fleet orange color used on the cars. I found some information while trying to look it up though:
Special Order "999" paint codes were codes assigned for a vehicle for paint colors that were not officially available for that model vehicle for a given year. When a car line was planned and introduced, a number of colors were designated as being available for that car. Dealer information and paint chips were distributed, assembly lines were readied with paint mixes and instructions for the paint departments for the identified set of paint codes.

The way a 999 car was order was that any one with a fleet account (dealerships, or large purchasing agents) could order any Ditzler color for any vehicle for some additional small fee ($75-100). When the 999 order was placed, some notation as to which actual color was written on the order. The factory would have sent the car down the assembly line with papers that also reflected that special paint color.

While the parameters of the 999 special order paint mean that there were probalby some unique orders that mades a "one off", for some years, there were common 999 orders. 1968-1969 999 Orange cars would be one of these commonly order special colors. There were probably a few hundred 999 Orange cars built in 1968 and 1969. For 1968 and the beginning of 1969, these were Omaha Orange which is the same orange used to paint early 1964 race hemi's (Ditzler code DRA60436). At some point in the 1969 model year, the special order 999 Omaha Orange became the EK2 Vitamin C Orange which would be standard color for 1970. The is per a 4/7/69 TSB stating that begining approx. Feb 1, 1969, EK2 "Vitamin C" Orange would be available for Belvedere models.

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/999.html

Troy

hemi-hampton

I figured Cincinatti, Just didn't want to jump to conclusion. When I looked up the Address for the Original owner on my 72 Bengal it ends up the Owners address/street was only 2 streets behind the Tom Kneer Dodge Dealership that sold these cars. LEON. :scratchchin:

UFO

According to Jeff Warner`s book,its "tiger orange" #60326.

bull

Quote from: Troy on August 22, 2007, 08:30:05 PM
Quote from: daytonalo on August 22, 2007, 08:19:33 PM
WHAT IS THAT COLOR CALLED ?
Orange ;)

I never knew the paint code/name for the fleet orange color used on the cars. I found some information while trying to look it up though:
Special Order "999" paint codes were codes assigned for a vehicle for paint colors that were not officially available for that model vehicle for a given year. When a car line was planned and introduced, a number of colors were designated as being available for that car. Dealer information and paint chips were distributed, assembly lines were readied with paint mixes and instructions for the paint departments for the identified set of paint codes.

The way a 999 car was order was that any one with a fleet account (dealerships, or large purchasing agents) could order any Ditzler color for any vehicle for some additional small fee ($75-100). When the 999 order was placed, some notation as to which actual color was written on the order. The factory would have sent the car down the assembly line with papers that also reflected that special paint color.

While the parameters of the 999 special order paint mean that there were probalby some unique orders that mades a "one off", for some years, there were common 999 orders. 1968-1969 999 Orange cars would be one of these commonly order special colors. There were probably a few hundred 999 Orange cars built in 1968 and 1969. For 1968 and the beginning of 1969, these were Omaha Orange which is the same orange used to paint early 1964 race hemi's (Ditzler code DRA60436). At some point in the 1969 model year, the special order 999 Omaha Orange became the EK2 Vitamin C Orange which would be standard color for 1970. The is per a 4/7/69 TSB stating that begining approx. Feb 1, 1969, EK2 "Vitamin C" Orange would be available for Belvedere models.

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/999.html

Troy

So according to this you could theoretically clone a Bengal Charger if you could find a 1968 fleet Charger with the 999 paint code and say you lost the paper work. Then again I don't believe I've ever seen the 999 paint code on a fender tag, even in photos.

Troy

So, just for fun I was poking around on the Auto Color Library site to see if I could find a fleet color sheet. I found the paint code for "Omaha Orange" listed on the sheet for 1968 Mack trucks. It says 45-144 and 60158 I think but the color chip is missing. The 1968 Dodge Truck sheet says to see the "1967 Chevrolet Truck color card" for Orange 60156. There is actually a chip on there and it looks about right.

Troy

ds440

Also being in the Cincinnati area, I've heard quite a few "bengal-charger-ghost-stories." 

Several years ago, I kept hearing from various people that they had spotted a Bengal Charger.  Apparently, there was an orange '68 (non-R/T) with a black stripe that had been seen at a couple of cruise-ins.  After a couple of years I, eventually, saw the car at a local dragstrip.  In talking with the guy, he had no idea what a Bengal Charger was.  He painted the car orange and, unknowingly, made a clone (sans the Bengal badges, of course).

But since then, I've heard rumors, speculation, heard-it-from-a-friend type stuff.  Cars in barns, urban legends, etc.

1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

gtx6970

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 22, 2007, 08:07:28 PM
GTX6970, You say you seen 3 advertised around there locally, Where is around here located? What City do you live in? Sorry if everybody knows where you live but me? :scratchchin: LEON.

Actually , I live in northen Ky. Right across the river from cincy

Ghoste

Quote from: ds440 on August 23, 2007, 08:20:32 AMAlso being in the Cincinnati area, I've heard quite a few "bengal-charger-ghost-stories." 

Bengal Charger Ghoste stories?  It wasn't a story, it was a statement of fact, I really saw one.  :D

ds440

Quote from: Ghoste on August 23, 2007, 04:32:55 PM
Quote from: ds440 on August 23, 2007, 08:20:32 AMAlso being in the Cincinnati area, I've heard quite a few "bengal-charger-ghost-stories."

Bengal Charger Ghoste stories?  It wasn't a story, it was a statement of fact, I really saw one.  :D

Maybe so....but how do I know if you are real.  :scratchchin: :nana: :D
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

Ghoste

69_500

He isn't real, he is just a computer virus that posts a lot. :)

Of all the shows I've ever been to I have only seen 1 Bengal charger in person, but then again 99% of the time I just skim past the 68's. sorry but its  true.

Ghoste

Charger_Fan

Quote from: bull on August 22, 2007, 11:21:11 PM
Then again I don't believe I've ever seen the 999 paint code on a fender tag, even in photos.
Spike has one on his '70. It's not a '68, but... :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: 69_500 on August 24, 2007, 08:12:52 AM
He isn't real, he is just a computer virus that posts a lot. :)

:haha:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

clair446

Hi this is Clair. I own the 1968 Bengal R/T. In the picture that shows the two cars sitting side by side, mine is the one without the vinyl top. I found it just outside of Hazard Kentucky in 1993. It was made to look like a Dukes car; it had the Dukes wheels on it and thats why they took the top off. My brother-in-law told me about the car so when we went to look at it it had little football helmet stickers in the back window and had the Bengal Charger emblems still on the fenders. I told my brother-in-law I wonder what kid stuck these on there, but when I popped the hood and seen the 999 code, I knew there was something special about the car because the color was special ordered. I told the guy I'd be back in a little bit, went into Hazard, called Galon on the phone, and asked him whats a Bengal Charger? He said "is it an R/T?" I said yes. He said over twenty years now nobody knew what happened to them. I just found the only R/T that was known to exist. So I went back to the guy and bought it. It had the build sheet behind the back seat. It coded out as 440 with AC automatic with white interior and the sheet said SPEACIAL HANDLING JOB at the bottom of it. The other three documented Bengals all have black interior. I took it to the Nats right after I bought it and then tucked it away for thirteen years while raising kids and building a house. Then last year, I had the car disassembled and bead blasted. Its a rolling shell right now. I've been gathering NOS parts all along for rotisseri restoration. I'm still looking for the NOS right trunk extension and lower NOS cap at the bottom of the right quarter panel. If anybody has these parts, I'd really appreciate a call, 1-810-908-3812. Also, as for the other three documented cars, the 383 car was resently restored and is in Texas, the 318 car with the low miles was sold to a guy in Missouri, and the 318 car in Saskatchewan Canada was nicely redone into a R/T clone. That's the one next to the jet.

Ghoste

jcyork

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 20, 2007, 07:18:26 PM
Heres what the Emblem looks like on my 1972 3rd Generation Bengal. Unrestored original & the 1972 Emblem looks nothing like the 68 version. LEON.

I have the same car with the same emblem. Looks like these cars might be real The '72 Bengal Charger. Please contact me with any info. jcyork@msn.com

hemi-hampton

Yeah, Seems John Yorks 72 Bengal Charger is only one VIN# away from mine, Mine was rolling down the assembly line right behind his. Coincedence? I dont think so? LEON.

jasonfromIKILLYA

keep us updated on that man!  these 72s may not be the bengal charges from this story, but they seem rare regardless!!
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

68RT4ME

Quote from: jcyork on December 08, 2007, 11:55:32 AM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 20, 2007, 07:18:26 PM
Heres what the Emblem looks like on my 1972 3rd Generation Bengal. Unrestored original & the 1972 Emblem looks nothing like the 68 version. LEON.

I have the same car with the same emblem. Looks like these cars might be real The '72 Bengal Charger. Please contact me with any info. jcyork@msn.com

I'd really like to see a picture of the whole car if you have one. As for '68 Bengals, I was at a show in Jensen Beach, Fl at a museum almost 2 years ago. A kid about 17 years old with his Mom in the passenger seat pulls up and parks next to me. Naturally, I looked the car over since it was a Charger. I see the emblem on this orange car. I didn't even know what a Bengal charger was. The kid tells me that his dad and him found it months earlier on Ebay and bought it as a Father/Son project to restore. It was Orange of course with the tail stripe, black interior. A few months later, it was at a friends garage having the engine rebuilt. I didn't take any pictures of it as I was without a camera either time. I'm sure I'll be seeing it again and will take the pics and post them. The engine my friend was rebuilding was a 440 but, I'll have to ask him or check the Vin# to see if it was in fact an R/T. I guess I should have been more curious at the time.. :shruggy:
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

hemi-hampton

I did post a Picture of whole car. In that Thread about Orange painted charges the other day. LEON.

Brock Samson

Quote from: clair446 on August 31, 2007, 10:43:22 AM
Hi this is Clair. I own the 1968 Bengal R/T. In the picture that shows the two cars sitting side by side, mine is the one without the vinyl top. I found it just outside of Hazard Kentucky in 1993. It was made to look like a Dukes car; it had the Dukes wheels on it and thats why they took the top off. My brother-in-law told me about the car so when we went to look at it it had little football helmet stickers in the back window and had the Bengal Charger emblems still on the fenders. I told my brother-in-law I wonder what kid stuck these on there, but when I popped the hood and seen the 999 code, I knew there was something special about the car because the color was special ordered. I told the guy I'd be back in a little bit, went into Hazard, called Galon on the phone, and asked him whats a Bengal Charger? He said "is it an R/T?" I said yes. He said over twenty years now nobody knew what happened to them. I just found the only R/T that was known to exist. So I went back to the guy and bought it. It had the build sheet behind the back seat. It coded out as 440 with AC automatic with white interior and the sheet said SPEACIAL HANDLING JOB at the bottom of it. The other three documented Bengals all have black interior. I took it to the Nats right after I bought it and then tucked it away for thirteen years while raising kids and building a house. Then last year, I had the car disassembled and bead blasted. Its a rolling shell right now. I've been gathering NOS parts all along for rotisseri restoration. I'm still looking for the NOS right trunk extension and lower NOS cap at the bottom of the right quarter panel. If anybody has these parts, I'd really appreciate a call, 1-810-908-3812. Also, as for the other three documented cars, the 383 car was resently restored and is in Texas, the 318 car with the low miles was sold to a guy in Missouri, and the 318 car in Saskatchewan Canada was nicely redone into a R/T clone. That's the one next to the jet.

Anyone know Clair or of this R/T Bengal Charger's current state?..
His Info says he logged on this Yr...  :shruggy:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I forget where and when, but there was a Bengal Charger  R/T   for sale about 12 or 14 yrs ago.

If I wanted another 68, I prob. would have bought it  :brickwall:

tracpack440

Hey. I got a 1968 bengal charger. I got it back in 2002 Still have the window sticker. Well almost.
Here are some pics :2thumbs:
1969 Charger  R/T SE 4 spd dana