News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classic Car Storage

Started by 04lbram, September 23, 2005, 06:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

04lbram

Okay well winter is upon here in North Dakota and I was wondering what all do I need to look at doing for storing my car in the winter months? I already have a storage building for it. It usually gets about -40 degrees as the coldest so far so, what do I need to do for these cold temps and what precautions I should take. The bad thing my storage building isn't heat so kind of crappy.

RD

talk to moparguy01, he lives in fargo.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

NHCharger

I use to store my cars for the winter. What I did was change the oil, add some stabil to the gas. Put the car up on jack stands, put a sheet of plastic under the car. I used some stuff from OMC (marine supplier) call storage fogger. I would run the car and spray the storage fogger down the carb while it was running for about 1 minute. Disconnect the battery, put a piece of plastic over the carb, then put the air cleaner back on. I would then write myself a big note saying remove plastic before inserting key and tape it to the steering wheel.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: NHCharger on September 23, 2005, 07:56:29 PM
I use to store my cars for the winter. What I did was change the oil, add some stabil to the gas. Put the car up on jack stands, put a sheet of plastic under the car. I used some stuff from OMC (marine supplier) call storage fogger. I would run the car and spray the storage fogger down the carb while it was running for about 1 minute. Disconnect the battery, put a piece of plastic over the carb, then put the air cleaner back on. I would then write myself a big note saying remove plastic before inserting key and tape it to the steering wheel.
:iagree:

I would also stuff some rags in the exhaust pipes so rodents don't crawl in there. I have also heard that if you leave some charcoal in a dish of some sort on the floor that that will help with moisture.

NHCharger

Quote from: MoparYoungGun on September 24, 2005, 07:37:59 AM

I would also stuff some rags in the exhaust pipes so rodents don't crawl in there. I have also heard that if you leave some charcoal in a dish of some sort on the floor that that will help with moisture.

Oh yeah forgot about that part, thanks. I find the best place to buy all this stuff for long term storage  is a marine supply store.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: NHCharger on September 24, 2005, 09:02:01 AM
I find the best place to buy all this stuff for long term storage is a marine supply store.
Huh, I would have never thought that. Well, I'll have to stop by Marine Max in the next couple weeks.

04lbram

Afflyer

Of course, you could also bring her down here to the Florida panhandle and I could keep an eye on it for you!  :devil:
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

04lbram

Sure if you agree to paint my car to "Hemi Orange" for free.  :icon_smile_big:

Afflyer

Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

04lbram

Drop Top

Sounds like a deal to me! You know what they say, "Seams it never rains in Southern California." Hell, It never snows here eather! Lets see now, where did I put that rattle can of Hemi Orange paint?  :icon_smile_big: I don't need to tape it off do I? Rattle can overspray cleans up really easy with a rag and paint thiner.  :o

TruckDriver

Quote from: MoparYoungGun on September 24, 2005, 07:37:59 AM
Quote from: NHCharger on September 23, 2005, 07:56:29 PM

BUT, use corse steel wool. Mice & rats will eat through the rags.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

04lbram

Thanks guys. What grade of steel wool do you recommend? I already have the 000 stuff. Also, for the spray, naw that's okay. Remember it may not be a Charger but, it's still a Mopar Classic. :yesnod:

TruckDriver

I use the corsest steel wool you can buy. It's a bit over kill, but why take the chance, and the stuff is cheap.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

04lbram

Alright so I'll make that on my list. Also, should I drain my oil out?

ramit

Quote from: 04lbram on September 25, 2005, 07:26:56 PM
Alright so I'll make that on my list. Also, should I drain my oil out?

Probably not a good idea to drain your oil. 

Drop Top

Keep all the levels full. Including the fuel tank. The more fuel in the tank means less condensation in it. Witch means less chance of rust in the tank.

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: Drop Top on September 26, 2005, 05:42:32 AM
Keep all the levels full. Including the fuel tank. The more fuel in the tank means less condensation in it. Witch means less chance of rust in the tank.
:iagree: , and don't forget to add some stabil to the tank! I personally haven't been have know people who had to drain the whole gas tank in spring because of this.

nh_mopar_fan

I know stabil is cheap but seriously, it is overkill.

There is no way that gas is going to go bad in a tank in a few months.

It's important for long-term storage but if you had people who had to drain tanks after storing the car from Nov-April, I doubt it was because of bad gas.

moparguy01

I'll type up what i do when i get home from work this afternoon. i've been storing old cars most my life, so i know a few things about keeping them nice. :icon_smile_big:

keep in mind, our winter lasts twice as long as your winter mopar fan. haha then we go into road construction season.

04, where in ND are you?

67_Dodge_Charger

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on September 26, 2005, 08:31:41 AM
I know stabil is cheap but seriously, it is overkill.

There is no way that gas is going to go bad in a tank in a few months.

It's important for long-term storage but if you had people who had to drain tanks after storing the car from Nov-April, I doubt it was because of bad gas.

Winter is relative to where you occupy space.  Winter in Montana starts in October or November and will not let go until late April and sometimes early May.  My math may not be the best but that is more than just a few months.   :popcrn:

Taking a few precautions will extend the life of the motor, transmission and hair on your head. :icon_smile:

Good Luck
Robert

04lbram

Thanks everyone for the replies. 67 Dodge Charger do you live in Montana. If so which part? Shoot me a PM if you want.

moparguy01

Alright. I will not expell my wisdom upon you all.  ;D

first of all, make sure every fluid is FULL! fuel especially! then, put it on jackstands, NOT so much that the tires are off the ground, but so that the load is off the suspension abit. next, air up all the tires. Lay plastic down on the ground under the car, the thick industrial style plastic. PUT ALL SUNVISORS IN THE DOWN POSITION! Mice like to use them as a chair and chew up your headliner. While the car is running, pour a SMALL AMOUNT OF OIL down the carburator. just like when you put seafoam in the carb, keep the car running, and dont put so much in that it kills the engine, cause then, well....your screwed. Keep pouring in the oil until you see smoke out the pipes. then shut it off. This coats the piston walls in oil and keeps them from rusting over the winter. when you start it, run it until it doesnt smoke bad, then replace the plugs. since now they are fowled. next get a can or something to cap off the exhaust pipes, and hose clamp them on TIGHT. I like to put a garbage bag between the carb and air cleaner and tape it on so that nothing can get down there, but PUT A NOTE ON THE DAMN STEERING WHEEL! If your like me. you WILL forget once. and its not pretty. disconnect the battery and take it with you. leave it indoors is what i do, since winters are particularly nice to batteries. DONT set the battery on the ground either. put it on a peice of wood. lets see if i got it all.
stands
plastic
oil
caps
plastic
note on wheel
battery
visors
yep. that should about do it. Another trick i like to use is to put BOUNCE drier sheets under the seats, hang them from the visor, in the trunk, under the hood, etc. These keep mice away great, and dont make it reak like moth balls do in the spring. The downside is you need to replace them about once every 3 weeks or they lose their effectiveness.

Any questions feel free to pm me.

04lbram