News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona at Moparfest

Started by Moparmatty, August 22, 2007, 11:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparmatty

For anyone that didn't make it to Moparfest this past weekend Daytona 414624 was at the show.

Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

Moparmatty

More Pics
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

Moparmatty

Last One.  A select few of you may also have a picture of the fender tag if you'd like.  Send me an email as I don't get all my pm notifications from this board all the time.  moparguy@log.on.ca
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

hemigeno

Very, very nice car...  You have an email too  ;)

I like the look of those Kelsey Hayes wheels a whole lot.  It's a crying shame that Chrysler didn't figure out that the lugs just needed to be retorqued after the first few hundred miles, as they would have sold a lot of those wheels IMHO.

Thanks for posting the pics!

moparstuart

i was just thinking that as i was looking at the pictures  wayne perkins used to run them on his silver hemi daytona and they really do look good
didnt i see the other day someone was making them again ????  maybe hayes them selfs ????
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

daytonalo

Great job on the detailed close-up pics ! Love the painted ex man and the paint on the end of the stud near booster

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

UFO

Specialty wheels has repo`d the recall wheels.They have a chrome rim instead of using a trim ring.

johntpr

Wow..never saw that  car before..looks well done, and I like that color ! :icon_smile_wink:

RJS

Quote from: UFO on August 22, 2007, 05:42:10 PM
Specialty wheels has repo`d the recall wheels.They have a chrome rim instead of using a trim ring.

Actually they make them both ways, after market style and factory style with trim rings. also they make the correct size now but only trimring style 15x6

UFO

Thanks for the update RJS.Have you put some miles on them?any problems?

daytonalo

Just a tip , powdercoat the master cyl lid , it wont scratch off like enamel !

RJS

Quote from: UFO on August 22, 2007, 07:11:56 PM
Thanks for the update RJS.Have you put some miles on them?any problems?

Not many yet, maybe 5  but project will be complete in a few weeks so then!!!!

69_500

Now you have me wondering, but what is the correct location for the jack in  the trunk? Me and Gene were looking at about a half dozen cars at Carlisle, and it appeared that everyone had their jacks in different locations. I know where the sticker in the trunk shows it, but I think that there was only 1 car at Carlisle that actually had the jack in that location. As Gene put it, it made the jack pop a wheelie on at least one car when the jack was put there.

Great looking car. Did it have the rear window defroster?

69chargerboy

WOW! I'm in love........................ :drool5:  :icon_smile_big:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

moparstuart

i love the color of that daytona also   looks like the one near st louis area  the guy has owned since new

Charger-Bodie

is it just my moniter or is the paint match on the nose of that beast way off? :scratchchin:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

moparstuart

i think it's just the shadows and shading and glare ????  but could be off

terrible one

Quote from: 1hot68 on August 24, 2007, 11:22:08 AM
is it just my moniter or is the paint match on the nose of that beast way off? :scratchchin:

The nose looks pretty far off to me too.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 69_500 on August 24, 2007, 07:47:34 AM
Now you have me wondering, but what is the correct location for the jack in  the trunk? Me and Gene were looking at about a half dozen cars at Carlisle, and it appeared that everyone had their jacks in different locations. I know where the sticker in the trunk shows it, but I think that there was only 1 car at Carlisle that actually had the jack in that location. As Gene put it, it made the jack pop a wheelie on at least one car when the jack was put there.

Charger_Fan

On those jacking istructions, I see the original scissor jack hold down clamp was held with a wing nut...the green Daytona has a standard nut. Makes me wonder if the guy did that intentionally, so nobody would swipe his jack at shows. :scratchchin:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

moparstuart

could be they are expensive  to replace 

BigBlockSam

i saved this pic

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hemigeno

Quote from: BigBlockSam on August 24, 2007, 05:23:13 PM
i saved this pic

What's a Superbird jack doing in a Daytona?   :P

The problem Danny mentioned that we observed at Carlisle had to do with the location of the mounting stud.  If the stud itself was mounted too close to the quarterpanel, there wasn't enough room to put the scissors jack in between the bumper jack/wing brace and the jack hold-down bracket.  Chris Sauer's former car that Danny and I pored over quite a bit was one that did not have enough room.  If the jack was positioned the way it shows on the jack detail, the hold-down bracket had to fit on top of the jack base where it turned up.  That meant when you tightened down the wing nut (which incidentally, is just a spare tire hold down wingnut) the opposite end of the jack would rise up off of the trunk floor.

Hard to explain, but Pete Veight, Danny and I were scratching our heads about the situation until we figured out it was the location of the mounting stud.

I actually want to go over that little detail with Vance on my Daytona to make sure that the same problem doesn't pop up.  Chris' car's stud had never been relocated so Creative takes the blame for that miscue.

Moparmatty

Not sure if it had the rear defroster or not Danny.  I never even thought to look.  Is there some significance to it having one or not?  I too noticed that the jack location was differnt between the cars that were at Carlisle.  The first picture attached is a trunk shot of the red Daytona that Vance restored and scored something like 98 points at the Nationals.  The second trunk shot attached is from an orange Daytona at Carlisle that is an original Y2 with a tan interior.  I am assuming the the second pic is the somewhat correct location providing the hole is located in the correct spot for the stud and the the F6 car pictured above is incorrect.  I'm sure with the high quality control that was involved with building the Daytona's at Creative Industries, that the hole locations for the stud varied quite a bit.

Is it in fact a stud or a bolt that was welded to the underside of the trunk floor?  Any one have any pics?  Or was it attahed in the third pic attached.  This pic is from the wrecked F6 Daytona that was at Carlisle.  But I still want to know if it was just a regualr bolt that was put up through the floor or was it a special stud/bolt with a flat head on it.

It is my understanding that the nut for the jack hold down could have been either the wingnut style or just a regular nut as pictured in the F6 trunk shot above.  I read this in an article not too long ago.  May have even been the article in Mopar Action regarding Tim Welborn's 999 Orange and Bronze Daytona's.  I'll try and find where I read it.

Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

Moparmatty

Your eyes are not playing tricks on you Gentlemen.  The colour of the nose was indeed off to the rest of the car.
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hemigeno on August 24, 2007, 06:38:07 PM
Quote from: BigBlockSam on August 24, 2007, 05:23:13 PM
i saved this pic

I actually want to go over that little detail with Vance on my Daytona to make sure that the same problem doesn't pop up.  Chris' car's stud had never been relocated so Creative takes the blame for that miscue.

I'm going to mock my jacks and handle, etc. up again tommorrow morning. I did it once before but now you've got me wondering,   :scratchchin:

UPDATE:  I just got through mocking my jacks/handle in place. The hole is in the wrong spot.  :brickwall:

BigBlockSam

good picture. thank you , that went into my daytona folder.  :cheers:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BigBlockSam on August 24, 2007, 10:17:19 PM
good picture. thank you , that went into my daytona folder.  :cheers:

I can't take credit for it, I swiped it.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytonalo

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 24, 2007, 11:02:38 PM
Quote from: daytonalo on August 24, 2007, 11:00:04 PM
What is that 11x 11 ?

yup.

I just got through mocking my jacks/handle in place. The hole is in the wrong spot.  :brickwall:

hemi68charger

Wow !!!! Perfect color combination......... Where's Moparfest at?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparchris

T :RantExplode: Those Daytona jack pictures bring back memories.  When I got my Daytona at the ripe old age of 18, it did not have the scissor jack.  When I cleaned out the car I saw the jack hold down and thought, "what the hell is this".  Yep, you know how this is going... in the trash it went!! :brickwall:

Dodge Don

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 27, 2007, 09:13:37 AM
Wow !!!! Perfect color combination......... Where's Moparfest at?

New Hamburg Ontario Canada. Third largest Mopar show in the world.

pettybird

Quote from: Moparmatty on August 24, 2007, 07:43:04 PM

Not sure if it had the rear defroster or not Danny.  I never even thought to look.  Is there some significance to it having one or not? 

all canadian cars had defrosters.  all canadian cars start with 414, also. 

odd, but why do you suppose the tach is disconnected under the hood?

Moparmatty

414626 doesn't nor did it ever have a rear defroster.

Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

pettybird

Quote from: Moparmatty on August 27, 2007, 10:18:35 PM
414626 doesn't nor did it ever have a rear defroster.

well, there's using 'always' and 'never'

i've not seen another non defrost car, have you?  i'm intrigued now.  wonder if 3-daytona's car has one. 

414641 does...

Moparmatty

Quote from: pettybird on August 27, 2007, 10:40:06 PM

well, there's using 'always' and 'never'

i've not seen another non defrost car, have you?  i'm intrigued now.  wonder if 3-daytona's car has one. 

414641 does...

The only other Canadian Daytona I have seen in person is 414630  I am not sure if it has a defroster or not.  Never have paid attention to this detail.  If I see either 414624 or 414630 at a show in a couple of weeks I will be sure to check them for defrosters.
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

pettybird

cool.  i need to get ahold of a guy local to me with another F8 car as i don't know his VIN but it's a CDN car with defroster.

i need to know if i'm just wrong or if this car is abnormal ;)

65post

Quote from: pettybird on August 28, 2007, 12:24:00 AM
cool.  i need to get ahold of a guy local to me with another F8 car as i don't know his VIN but it's a CDN car with defroster.

i need to know if i'm just wrong or if this car is abnormal ;)
My old F8 daytona 423239 went south a few years back and it had the defroster.By chance does your friends F8 car have a white gut with power windows??? Terry
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

pettybird

ha no it's a black interior car.  you guys like F8 up there or what?

69_500

The statement that pettybird made is exactly why I asked this. I had always heard that every Canadian Daytona had a rear window defroster. I was just wondering if this comment was true or if it was typical of most information. What was said to be true doesn't always hold up being true.

Moparmatty

Would the rear defroster not show up on the fender tag?
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

UFO

69_500

Right, its not on the fender tag at all. And if the car doesn't have the broadcast sheet, then its nearly impossible to tell.

FJMG

I have seen the sheet for 414639, no rear defrost.

pettybird

Quote from: FJMG on August 31, 2007, 10:04:13 PM
    I have seen the sheet for 414639, no rear defrost.

excellent--more data.  what color is that car?

FJMG

V2, 4 spd, blk. int.  I have heard rumors that it is the car on pg. 36 of ML cars in barns, was in storage and burnt to death in a garage fire in the mid 80's.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: terrible one on August 24, 2007, 01:44:19 PM

Creative painted the noses, hoods, plug and decklid in lacquer, so they could easily be off. Geno - Tell Vance you want those parts a shade off......I dare you!  :icon_smile_big:

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

maxwellwedge

Nah - Can't be - No snow!  :icon_smile_big:

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 15, 2009, 08:51:35 PM
Quote from: terrible one on August 24, 2007, 01:44:19 PM

Creative painted the noses, hoods, plug and decklid in lacquer, so they could easily be off. Geno - Tell Vance you want those parts a shade off......I dare you!  :icon_smile_big:

You're spot-on with Creative painting those parts in lacquer, but what most people don't realize is that quite often Creative painted durned-near the entire car.  Depending on how they were able to blend in the window plug line, the roof was often painted.  The quarterpanels were often shot if they couldn't blend the C-pillar/sail panel paint in very well, and for whatever reason they often shot the cowl.  That pretty much leaves the doors, rocker panels and the rear valance...  not much of the original Hamtramck paintjob in retrospect. 

I agree, though - it would be possible to have at least some shade variation between the two paint materials, but that nosecone is pretty far off IMHO.

Vance might be a little ticked at me if I went back and asked for a color change right now...  Of course, since he's working by the hour he may not care at all.  Nah, I think I'll live with what's there.  Hey, is DocTona already shot yet?   :scratchchin: