News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Jeez the good old days when some were kids!

Started by Drache, September 24, 2005, 10:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

I was cleaning out the garage and I found my old comic book collection back from the early 80's. I can't believe what the ads in these comics were being issued to kids. My favorite is the Johnson Smith Company. You didn't have to prove your age just send away for this stuff.

Realistic looking metal water pistol
Sleek fingered lockblade knife *ad stats razor sharp on all their knives*
Deluxe mini lockblade
Sportman's lockblade
Butterfly knife
switchblade knife
realistic looking police badges
brass knuckles
police issue handcuffs

then besides all those you have your gag items and such as well. But holy crap I shoulda started ordering this stuff when I was a kid and just stock piled it somewhere lol.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

TruckDriver

Wasn't the Johnson Smith company the one where you too could get like gag gifts like itching and sneezing powder, fake puke?
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

mopar_madman

1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Old Moparz

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 24, 2005, 08:55:19 PM
How about this ad?

HAH! I forgot all about those ads! I always wanted to order one of those, byt I thought my Mom would bust me. :lol:

Did anyone here ever order some of those?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

No, but a couple of guys who I used to work with, (two brothers) told me a funny story. They lived in Secaucus, NJ near Giants Stadium. This was a very marshy area with a lot of wetlands, streams & ponds not far from their backyard. They saw an ad for a "Two Man Submarine" with working periscope, hatch & full control panel, for only $6.95 plus shipping & handling.  ::)

They talked their dad into letting them order it, & he figured, why not? They waited the 4 to 6 weeks after sending in their hard earned allowance & savings, & finally got the package in the mail. When they came home from school they ripped it open, pulled it out, & wondered how a cardboard sub would hold up in the harsh conditions of the NJ Meadowlands. It must be some kind of specially treated, water proof cardboard, it just had to be.

Their dad suggested they don't take it to the water, but what the hell does dad know? They took it on it's maiden voyage & learned in less than 48 seconds, just how marketing can be a little misleading.  :smilielol:
               Bob                

Charger_Fan

HAHAHAHAAA! :haha:

...their Dad also probably let them in on "a sucker born every minute" too. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Drop Top

A friend of mine sent away for some of those glasses. They looked just like the picture. The lens was made out of card board with little holes in them right in the center. When you looked through them they made everything fuzzy. If you put your hand up towards the sun/light it made you see double and gave the appearance that you where seeing your bones. What a bummer man. You couldn't see through cloths. Even though I was only around 8 or 9. That kids Mom was HOT!!!  :devil:

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Silver R/T on September 25, 2005, 08:07:44 PM
lol was that in 50's
It may have started in the 50's...but in about 1976 when I was 12 years old, I sure wanted a set. :icon_smile_approve:

Not sure when they finally stopped those ads.

Lowprofile

"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

TruckDriver

Quote from: Lowprofile on September 26, 2005, 01:04:11 AM
I always wanted to order the Sea Monkeys. :icon_smile_big:

Yup, me too! The good 'ol brine shrimp. I had a friend that got the fake puke. I remember the night he brought it over, we had a cat that puked up a hair ball and other stuff. My mom cleaned it up, and when she went to toss out the garbage, we put the fake puke on the kitchen table and told her the cat puked again. Well, we got her with it :lolexplode:
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Drop Top

It was around 68 or 69 when my buddy got the glasses.

Charger4404spd

Wished I'd have kept all my METAL Tonka Trucks!

TruckDriver

Quote from: Charger4404spd on September 26, 2005, 05:41:47 AM

No kidding! I had I think almost everyone they made in the early '70s including the grader and the loader, white double boomed tow truck, dump truck, 6 wheel lime green cement truck and I NEVER seen anyone with another 6 wheel folding boom crane truck.
PETE

Ponch ®

snap...i forgotten about Tonkas. I had everything from Tonka bulldozers to minivans. Is Tonka still around?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Old Moparz

Quote from: Mojo Classic ® on September 26, 2005, 01:07:38 PM

snap...i forgotten about Tonkas. I had everything from Tonka bulldozers to minivans. Is Tonka still around?

Looks like they are. http://www.hasbro.com/tonka/

I still have a few of mine from the mid to late 60's. Maybe I'll get them out of the attic with some of those tin, friction cars, & take some pics. No Mopars though.  ::)
               Bob