News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need an engine compartment pic or 2 please, 68 or 69

Started by Dennis K, August 25, 2007, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis K

Does anyone have any pics of their 68 or 69 engine compartment that clearly show the driver's side inner fender? The information I am looking for is the correct routing for the headlight vacuum hoses and the positive battery cable. I started to install the underhood wire strap kit that I bought today, but I don't remember for sure what parts get fastened with the straps. Thanks.

68hardchargerrt

One thing that I can tell you that 99% of the restorations miss on this subject is that the 3 vacuum hoses routed from the firewall actually get clipped to the "top" of the drivers inner fender.  There should be 2 holes on top...one nearer to the rear of the hinge and one about centered on the inner fender.  Most likely the clips are gone, but there are two clips that the hoses are taped to that hold them there. 
Everybody, including myself, just bundles them with the ft. lighting wiring and clips them to the side of the inner fender.  After the clips, they drop back down along with the wiring to the front end.
Sorry, no pictures, but I have seen a few untouched cars and this is how they were, and the holes are present on every Charger I have ever seen.

Good luck,
Greg.
"If you ain't breaking stuff, you ain't driving it right"  Carroll Shelby

Dennis K

Thanks for the reply. I knew there were some of those clips, but I didn't know how many. Now I know I am only missing 1.  Do the 2 vacuum lines that go to the front of the car get routed under the straps behind the battery with the light harness? How about the positive battery cable, does that strapped to the inner fender anywhere, or is it just the one clip over the center of the shock tower? Or the big vacuum line that goes from the intake manifold to the vacuum reservoir under the battery tray, does that get fastened to the other hoses anywhere? I wish I would have taken better notes when I took my car apart. Thanks

68hardchargerrt

This is a picture of an unrestored '68 Charger:
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/chevellefan69/?action=view&current=100_0541.jpg

And one of a correctly restored '68 Charger (as far as I could tell):
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/chevellefan69/?action=view&current=100_0539.jpg
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/chevellefan69/?action=view&current=100_0598.jpg

I'm looking through my pictures and notes for the Battery cable question, but the vacuum lines to the front vacuum actuators should be routed with the ft. end lighting harness on the side of the battery within the two plastic straps.  This is what I have seen.  I'll try to get some pictures together for this and the batt.cable.

Hope this helps you out.
Greg.
"If you ain't breaking stuff, you ain't driving it right"  Carroll Shelby

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

chargerman68

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Dennis K

Thanks for the info and pics, guys. I think I have all the info I need to strap everything in right. Interesting that the unrestored one has the clip over the shock tower upside down and has the headlight wire harness in it along with the battery cable.

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on August 29, 2007, 01:37:51 PM
Chris,

Someone stole your power brake booster!!!!! :o :rofl:

Ha!! old pic...heres a more recent one....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

john108

I have a 68' charger r/t that I am starting to work on.
This is a picture that I took.