News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tornado! Now with pics

Started by Mean 318, August 27, 2007, 01:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mean 318

While the weather took a turn for the worst tonight! A few tornado's hit just outside of town tonight! We were lucky! Just some wind, rain, and hail! Unfortunately a few towns south west of us weren't so lucky! The damn tornado landed right on top of them!  A friend of mine who lives there rode it out in his home. By the time all was said and done he had a new garage in his front yard, one less back porch, two less sheds, one less pickup truck, no more trees... rather the moved on top of his garage and inside of his kitchen. Uggg, the poor guy is too damn nice to get this! I have my Ram loaded up with 3 spare tires, a spare battery, a generater, cords, tow ropes, gas, lights, a case of beer, and a bunch of other stuff. I plan to be there by 7:30 AM tomarrow. By the sound of it the town is real bad! No news on any deaths yet - they had lots of warning! But one of the trailer arks had 7 trailers now had only 1. There are cars in fields! I hope no one is hurt real bad and, the truck makes it, and everything works out! If all goes well we can at least make his house livable! Keep you updated as we go. Look for it on the news! Northwood ND!

69bronzeT5

Good luck Zack. Its very cool of you to go out of your way to help him out. Cheers to you! :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Mean 318

damn... 1 dead so far.  Sounds like there will be more... 17 trailers all toasted! Cant get in till sunrise! I dont think I am going to sleep! I guess the top of the mill is gone. From what I hear there aint much as far as trees.

69bronzeT5

Thats one reason I love it in BC, no tornadoes. My prayers go out to everyone in the tornado stricken areas :angel:

Bandit72

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on August 27, 2007, 02:35:52 AM
Thats one reason I love it in BC, no tornadoes. My prayers go out to everyone in the tornado stricken areas :angel:

Tornadoes can happen anywhere man...just much less likely that far north....
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Todd Wilson

I was in one back in 1991. No fun and lots of clean up. You will quickly find out what insurance will and wont cover.

Todd

Mean 318

aint much town left... I will be back tomarrow morning to keep on fixing stuff! what a damn mess!

71ChallengeHer

That's great your helping out. :cheers:

Todd Wilson

Lots of people dont realize what its like after a twister comes through. If you are lucky you climb out of the rubble. AT that time you better have shoes on and a flashlight.  Communication has been broken from the outside world. Your cell phone might work but most likely the cell towers will be jammed with too many calls or not exist. 911 may also be overloaded. It is possible to get a busy signal at 911.

You are basically on your own for a while.

You have to watch for downed live power lines and the smell of natural gas in the air from ruptured gas meters from houses,  makes you wonder what the hell will happen if that gas manages to float over to that occasional sparking power line still hot either hanging or laying. You will probably also have to help injured people and may see what all can go with that.  Most likely you will have to climb and or hike your way out of the area because the rubble will be as tall as a house. Before long the cops and firemen will be there (If they werent wiped out as well) and then the county or city bulldozer to start clearing a path to get in and out of. You probably wont do much right after it happens. This will all be many hours after it hits which goes back to what I said you are on your own!!!!

The next few days will be tough. Clean up and maybe finding your belongings.

My wife thinks I over react now when a storm comes up and the tornado sirens go off in our town. Laugh all you want I been there and done it and wont be caught without basic things if it happens again. Shoes first and then a flashlight and if I can get it my billfold and checkbook and the 2meter walkie talkie ham radio. If you got to sleep in your shoes during a storm so be it! Do not get caught without shoes!

Todd

Afflyer

Hey Todd, are you referring to the big one that started just south of Derby and ripped it's way through McConnell AFB before jetting east towards Andover at nearly 1/2 mile wide?!

I saw the devastation on CNN International, while I was finishing up my outprocessing at Soesterberg Air Base in Holland- bound for McConnell!!!

I thought to myself, "great- I'll be on base clean up for a YEAR!"

I'll never forget my time in Wichita from 1991 through 1995.  I recieved a honest-to-God Doctorate Degree from Mother Nature in her wildly ways!!!
Back in May of '92, I thought I was witnessing the second coming of Christ, as I saw my very first "wall" cloud.  Brother, let me tell ya- those wall clouds are friggin SCARY!!!!  :eek:  That same storm threw hail stones down onto downtown Wichita, the size of SOFTBALLS!!!  :eek:  I'll never forget it.

You get educated in Mother Nature living in Kansas, no doubt about it.

Bradley
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Afflyer on August 28, 2007, 08:28:13 PM
Hey Todd, are you referring to the big one that started just south of Derby and ripped it's way through McConnell AFB before jetting east towards Andover at nearly 1/2 mile wide?!

I saw the devastation on CNN International, while I was finishing up my outprocessing at Soesterberg Air Base in Holland- bound for McConnell!!!

I thought to myself, "great- I'll be on base clean up for a YEAR!"

I'll never forget my time in Wichita from 1991 through 1995.  I recieved a honest-to-God Doctorate Degree from Mother Nature in her wildly ways!!!
Back in May of '92, I thought I was witnessing the second coming of Christ, as I saw my very first "wall" cloud.  Brother, let me tell ya- those wall clouds are friggin SCARY!!!!  :eek:  That same storm threw hail stones down onto downtown Wichita, the size of SOFTBALLS!!!  :eek:  I'll never forget it.

You get educated in Mother Nature living in Kansas, no doubt about it.

Bradley

No I was in the WillowBrook twister  March 26, 1991.   The Andover twister really tore stuff up! I remember it and watching the tv as it was rolling through.

Todd

Mean 318

Back again today, almost kinda sorta looks like a town... not really. Some buildings you can tell will be dozed over others that look ok are toast because they have been picked up and moved off their foundations! I ain't talking little building either. 3 story house catholic church, a friggen 60 foot mill! There was also a building full f lassic cars that came down on top of them and the guy inside! 98% of the town has damage. a town of 1100! The school is a total loss, along with most of the down town! The seed mill, several houses, one of the churches, the air port, the apartment complex, the trailer park. I wonder how much town there will be after this is all said and done! Well I am going back tomarrow so I am off.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Mean 318 on August 29, 2007, 10:37:42 PM
There was also a building full f lassic cars that came down on top of them and the guy inside!.

What kinda cars? And did the guy survive? :shruggy:

Mean 318

they du him out with a broken arm... the cars were not so lucky. I will post up pics when I can.

Mean 318

some

Mean 318

more

69bronzeT5