News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which color is the most 60's-70's Mopar?

Started by zerfetzen, August 28, 2007, 08:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerfetzen

Orange?
Purple?
Lime?
There is no such thing?
For example, were there no such things as factory purple camaros or mustangs?  You get the idea.

One of those questions I was always curious about.

What do you think?
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

71ChallengeHer

Plum Crazy , Panther Pink, Hemi Orange, Lemon Twist, Limelight, Sassy Grass, Vitamin C, Petty Blue,etc. But my favorite Plum Crazy and my daughter's fav Panther Pink !

keepat

71ChallengeHer

Mike DC

I would say Hemi Orange, especially because of the engine color.
But there were too many red-orange shades out there from every brand.  It kinda says "musclecar" in general rather than saying "Mopar" specifically.

I think of Plum Crazy E-bodies when I think of Mopars at the highpoint of the era.

70charger_boy

:popcrn: I'm gonna go out on a limb and say look down

Chris G.

Quote from: zerfetzen on August 28, 2007, 08:46:36 PM
For example, were there no such things as factory purple camaros or mustangs?

No. Purple was a Mopar color in 1970 and '71. It was the most popular color on Chargers and Challengers in 1970. If you are asking about colors in general, I would say maybe green was the most all around popular color in the 60's and 70's for the big 3.  :Twocents:

bill440rt

Quote from: Chris G. on August 29, 2007, 07:56:28 AM
Quote from: zerfetzen on August 28, 2007, 08:46:36 PM
For example, were there no such things as factory purple camaros or mustangs?

No. Purple was a Mopar color in 1970 and '71. It was the most popular color on Chargers and Challengers in 1970. If you are asking about colors in general, I would say maybe green was the most all around popular color in the 60's and 70's for the big 3.  :Twocents:

:iagree:

Chris nailed it right on the head. Green. All shades of green metallic. Or brown.
Very few were actually done in High Impact colors. Check out the fender tags at some car shows. You'll see a lot of cars painted High Impact colors that were originally some other, "drab" color. Done right, those "drab" colors are quite often even nicer than the High Impact cars!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

hemihead

I agree . Mopar and their god awful WWII Army surplus olive drab green. I remember so many of those running around.  :eek2:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Mike DC

"The green!  The green!"

I'll never understand how the muscle era could produce such unspeakably awesome cars, but in such hideous colors.

Dennis

Ghoste

Another vote for green.  At least by 70 they started to offer greens that "stood out" a little.

zerfetzen

I'm probably alone here, that's ok, but I always liked the dark greens.
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

Goldfinger71

F8 Green and GY9(Dark Gold Metallic aka Tawny Gold) were paint coded on ALOT of Mopars back in the day! :yesnod:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

Mike DC

I actually like some green colors, just not the ones that Mopar was offering back in the day.

My mother has a 2001 Subaru wagon that came metallic dark green, and I think that color looks really nice.