News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are Old Racing Stickers Hard To Get?

Started by nitrometal, June 18, 2007, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrometal

I saw this while surfing on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320128484192&rd=1,1

I haven't tried to locate vintage era sponsor stickers before.  Are they really so hard to find that you have to create your own at a considerable expense?
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

Aero426

Some of that stuff is out there as unused decals, but with the capability to get decals made locally at a sign shop, thats how most of them get done today.   That particular set is pretty generic.  The PURE decals are too early for a wing car, and the CRC decals too late!   You'd also probably not see an Autolite (Ford) decal on a Mopar. 

If you are having decals made up, the first set would be pricey! 

nitrometal

Highbanked Hauler

I also think if you are applying them to your car the glue might be an issue. I do know when factory stripes and woodgrain of the 70s were on the way out
  we had a problem with the glue adhering to the backing paper instead of the decal. It was a real pain in the butt!!!  What little of the present day  stuff  I have used, the quality is much better.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Ghoste

Agreed, if you're going to get some made up, you might want to look into magnetic ones or those static cling ones?

daytonalo

I think your missing the point of why he had them made up ! For a Nascar Superbird , not your K-car! If your going to build a authentic wing car race ,best leave your magnets on the refrigerator ! Larry

Ghoste

Didn't miss the point at all, just trying to help the guy preserve the paint underneath the stickers.  If everyone was going for the ultimate in NASCAR realism, somebody would need to start adding rollcages, stripped interiors, homemade instrument panels, shaved door handles, and a few strategically placed dents.  ;)

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Ghoste on June 23, 2007, 07:29:01 AM
Didn't miss the point at all, just trying to help the guy preserve the paint underneath the stickers.  If everyone was going for the ultimate in NASCAR realism, somebody would need to start adding rollcages, stripped interiors, homemade instrument panels, shaved door handles, and a few strategically placed dents.  ;)
   other than the dents thats where I am heading.  I remember(in the old days) removing bumper stickers with a torch and removing the glue that was left with laquer thinner. I don't think adheasion is a problem with todays stickers as you don't see decals flying  off stock cars, at least I haven't :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

nitrometal

Quote from: Ghoste on June 23, 2007, 07:29:01 AM
If everyone was going for the ultimate in NASCAR realism, somebody would need to start adding rollcages, stripped interiors, homemade instrument panels, shaved door handles, and a few strategically placed dents.  ;)

Yeah, that's my plan, except for the dents.  :rotz:   Howie's working on his Daytona replica that way too.   :2thumbs:

I want a car that looks as much like a period correct Nascar as possible and still be street legal (with some modern convienieces & materials. of course). The look is the important part.

No magnetic or static cling decals for me. I brought up the link about the decals because I wasn't sure how hard those classic stickers were to find or replicating them was that expensive. I'm not sure if the stickers on my car are vintage or not but thanks to Highbanked Hauler I've been warned about the glue.

Speaking of the magnetic & static cling decals... there was a guy that signed the guestbook on my webpage that mentioned he has a Petty blue Superbird clone & he puts them on when he goes to a show.  And it looks great in the photos.  I'm going to see if he'll mind if I post them up with the story.

GeneralLeeTESH

Here is what I did 13 years ago for my vintage ol'mustang...
Wrote to vendors, whose addresses I got off the product boxes @ a local Auto Parts store...requesting in a written letter to each for permission to use their decal and for decals for a Vintage race car. I promised them digital photos via email, when done.
This worked out well. I bought 1/16" magnetic sheeting from a sign supply store;then, adhered the stickers to the sheeting, then cut them out with scissors! Every time I use the "race car-instant look package", I take them from the box in the trunk-and adhere them gently to the paint on the car magnetically! When done with their use- I put them back in the box in the trunk!
Take a look at the photo of them on DUKTONA..... :scratchchin: :cheers::
-Tesh
The TESH

GeneralLeeTESH

:2thumbs:
Stickerz...magnetic-style...COOL...
:scratchchin:
The TESH

myaerocars

It was good to chat with you about your Petty Superbird..... i thought I'd show you what I came up with for my car.

The 43's I got from Pettys supplier abaout 10 years ago.  Had them  placed on magnetic stock.

The sponsor decals are a mixture of silk screened static cling that I bought from a company out of California. Mostly used by guys with cobras and corvettes at track days as they come off easy. Just dip in a little soapy water and squeegie the rest out.

The other sponsor decals are homemade in that I got decals for the manufacturer and went to a graphics shop and got the plain static cling material and affixed the decals to that. They stay on pretty well ...only lost a few over the years.

My Superbird clone was built back in 1991...... I could not make up my mind ... street or race look. I have loaned  the car to 2 dealerships and Goodyear  store grand opening for displays.  They like all the Petty stuff on it too.I keep saying that I will put the decals on for good soon to cover the door dings and road rash after 16 years since paint!

I drive the car without all the decals 99% of the time.

IF you wanted correct decals, contat Kim at racetorations.com  HE can set you up with the exact sponsor decals (size and color) for your car.

I'll try to atach some pics.

Godspeed,
JON FREEMAN (aka Myaerocars)

Cars: 1970 Road Runner Superbird clone
        1970 Ford Torino King Cobra Clone  (in progress).

THE CHARGER PUNK

Mean 318

Quote from: daytonalo on June 22, 2007, 11:02:53 PM
I think your missing the point of why he had them made up ! For a Nascar Superbird , not your K-car! If your going to build a authentic wing car race ,best leave your magnets on the refrigerator ! Larry
There aint nuthin wrong with the K car!  :slap: lol

moparstuart

wayne perkins has several decals already made up with extra and can tell you how to get more
  he had the 99 dow hemi daytona

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE