News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Body Pros how would you fix this screw-up?

Started by Mfr426, September 24, 2005, 05:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hey all, about 4 months ago I had my dremel tool get away from me as I was adjusting the back hole on my driver's side spear. The trim was not sitting in line with the body seam and I was opening up the hole and the tool got away from me. As a result I ended up going too far over with the hole and knicking the paint on the back panel. The spear trim will not cover this entire hole. I dont want to weld the hole closed as that will bubble my brand new paint job. I'm not sure what to use to close this thing up?

Any suggestions would be fine and yes...I know I screwed up! This was a post-baby stress "I have to get this car done" mistake.

Any comments would be appreciated (other than telling me how much I screwed up).

Thanks all!

Mike R in Reading PA
69 Charger SE

Drop Top

To bad about the hole. But Things happen. Now lets see if we can do something about it. Just a suggestion here.

Tape the area off to keep from getting anything on the paint. Get some window screen and some JB Weld. Buy the screen with the finest holes in it. Using the JB Weld, glue a piece of the window screen to the underside of the hole. After he JB Weld dries(24hrs). Mix some more and fill in the hole with it. Use a tooth pick to dab the JB Weld into the hole and smooth it out with. The window screen will keep the JB Weld from dripping all the way through. The reason I suggest JB Weld is that it is more of a liquid and flows out smoother then anything else on the market. Then when the JB Weld dries. Dab some paint over it. Put the trim back on. This wont be a perfect fix. But it will be better then a hole. I doubt very much that you will be able to even see it after your done. Just take your time and be careful with it.

Good Luck. Let me know if you try it and how it works out. D/T

Mfr426

Drop Top, thanks for the idea. I never thought of JB Weld. Funny, I was standing in line at Home Depot yesterday and happen to look at JB Weld in the rack at the register. I'll give it a shot and take some after shots.

Thanks again!

Mike R in Reading PA