News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Abrasive blasting respirator

Started by B5 Charger, September 24, 2005, 11:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5 Charger

I have been using a benchtop blasting cabinet for a few years now.  I use glass bead or aluminum oxide to blast parts with it.  I also use to use a portable blaster with play sand or silica sand to blast other bigger parts until a couple of years ago when I got freaked out reading about Silicosis.  My question is this...What type of respirator should I wear when using my cabinet.  It has a good seal but there is still some dust involved in the whole blasting process.  Since my face is right over it I want to protect my lungs.  I wear a two cartridge respirator to keep from breathing the dust but now I read that my mask isn't good for any type of abrasive blasting not just sand or silica.  Is there a respirator good for abrasive blasting other than the closed air SCBA type?  Or should I even be worried about this since I'm not using a silica based media anymore?  I'd rather not be killed restoring my car.  Any suggestions????

Silver R/T

half mask should be adequate for blasting, charcoal filtered one
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722