News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger bought on Ebay from McGahey

Started by zerfetzen, September 08, 2007, 05:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerfetzen

Hi all,
A month ago I clicked 'Buy it Now' on Ebay to get this 69 Charger (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140145302434&rd=1) and have it shipped to me.  I'm posting the link so you can see pictures.  The car arrived last night, and I can't help noticing a lot of things in the pictures are missing.  I've been warned by a few people on here about buying from Mike and Kristi McGahey in Owasso, OK.  I'm not going to attack them in this forum because it's unfair and one-sided, but I'll definitely call them Monday during business hours to ask about all this?

I'll post pics later today, but wanted to give an inventory of what was missing, but pictured:

Rear Window
Entire Dash Cluster
Door Panels, Left and Right
Rear Inner Panels
Charger Emblems on Sail Panels
Cobra CB
Carpet

On the flip side, there's a rear seat in there in bad condition, and I can't get the trunk open, but I could see in the trunk from a big hole through the rear seat, so I shined a flashlight in and it looked pretty empty.  I suppose it's possible some of the things could be hidden underneath the seat bottom, but I'll find that out today.

I knew I was buying a project car, and in no way was expecting things to be perfect, but I would definitely expect to get what was pictured.  The rear quarters have enough lower rear rust that lower patch panels are in order.  The front right fender is from a 69 and has been repaired and probably bondo'd several times, but I could tell this one from their pics.

I can objectively say that several things were not good by communication.  For example, the day I bought it, I asked if a picture of the fender tag could be taken and sent?  He said sure thing, later this afternoon.  It never happened.  Let's see, I wanted to get payment as fast as possible to them, talked to someone at eloan through ebay, it sounded like a good way to go, and so I sent them a check from it ASAP.  I realized it wasn't a good way to go, then sent them a personal check the next day or so, but realized that funds hadn't transferred into our account, and called the McGahey's the day after I sent the personal check and asked that they NOT try to cash it.  They tried to cash it anyway, but thankfully were not able to, and by the time they were, the funds were in there.  They said they'd contact me and let me know the shipper was picking it up, and I never heard a thing until the shipper said he'll be by tomorrow to drop it off.  When I asked about it, they said they lost my info and couldn't contact me, and by the way he couldn't find the right caulking for the rear window, and so he put it inside the charger for shipping, which of course it wasn't there on arrival.

I'm not the kind of guy to jump on somebody and get critical, but jesus.

On to the brighter side.  Some questions for you.  I see the VIN: XP29F9B197458.  I edited this post because when I wrote the number down last night, I thought there was an extra letter, but must have just been really tired, dunno.  Anyway...

The fender tag reads:
END
C55 G15 M21 M31 R11 V1T
T5 C6W W1 B04 106516
E44 D12 XP29 F9B 197456

and the radiator support matches the VIN.

Question: I'd like to know whether or not power features were factory stock, like power steering and power brakes.  I don't think any of these are codes for those, so I'm assuming that it did not have them.  I would think it would be obvious about power brakes by not seeing a vacuum booster behind the master, but for some reason thought I encountered power brakes once that didn't have that, so thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any feedback.  I'm still very excited to own a 69 Charger, so let the project begin!  :2thumbs:
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

no318

There are a number on here who have had some "questionable" dealings with him.  Myself included. 

Sorry to hear. 

I have a back window and some misc. depending on where you are located.  I don't want to ship a back glass.

Keep us posted on the progress. 

zerfetzen

Hi no318, I'm in the middle of CT, where are you located?

69charger2002

sorry to hear that.. i have to admit i was one of the non-optimistic ones when you posted the "win" last time... cluster was probably laying in the dash, as the back window, so those were easy to "forget" when car left.. probably hoping you wouldn't cause a fuss over it, as those are high dollar parts. as for the carpet, that doesn't make any sense.. it must have been laying in there as well for pics.. hope it all works out for you. i have the parts if you can't get them.. but at least get some money back
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

zerfetzen

Pics

zerfetzen

Pics

zerfetzen

Pics

blackcharger

he says all the glass is present, he has the CB, instrument panel. for him to have "forgotten" the carpet, he would have had to pull the shifter. If certian parts were not to go with the car, then it is supposed to be stated so in the listing. and make sure he doesn't make you pay to ship the parts he "forgot" guy can't spell either.

zerfetzen

Pics

zerfetzen

Pics

zerfetzen

Pics

zerfetzen

Pics

zerfetzen

Pics

zerfetzen

zerfetzen

Quote from: blackcharger on September 08, 2007, 08:16:42 AM
he says all the glass is present, he has the CB, instrument panel. for him to have "forgotten" the carpet, he would have had to pull the shifter. If certian parts were not to go with the car, then it is supposed to be stated so in the listing. and make sure he doesn't make you pay to ship the parts he "forgot" guy can't spell either.

My thoughts exactly.

nh_mopar_fan

Wow. It wouldn't surprise me if he tells you all that disappeared in transit....

hemi-hampton

Now your making me Nervous, I'm dealing with him right now, I'm suppose to be sending him money for a part supposably someone else got high bid on but now not buying. I'm hesitant because I've had this scenario happen before where they sell to high bidder & then also sell same item to second high bidder but of course only send to the first guy & pocket money from 2nd guy & then give you run around after you've been scammed, Hmmm :scratchchin: What do you guys think? Should I send the money or will I be scammed? Do they have a good or Bad reputation? I never heard of them before? Let me know? LEON. :shruggy:

chargerman68

dont buy form this guy won an auction for a 69 charger,as i thought before sending money out i ran the vin with a friend at dmv,came up stolen car.......BE CAREFUL
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

terrible one

From the auction: "It has a B&M floor shifter in it and a cobra cb radio."

Umm why would you say that if the seller didn't get those items? That's like saying "Well it's got a blown Hemi that you can pay for accordingly but it won't come with the car"

zerfetzen

Quote from: chargerman68 on September 08, 2007, 10:27:43 AM
dont buy form this guy won an auction for a 69 charger,as i thought before sending money out i ran the vin with a friend at dmv,came up stolen car.......BE CAREFUL

McGahey sold you stolen car?

I've seen VIN checks before, and the ones I saw always limited them to 81 and new, I thought.  Any idea how I'd go about checking my VIN out there?  Thanks.

472 R/T SE

Why is it when the new owner of rigs takes possession is when the really detailed photos get posted.

I had a similar experience years ago before the internet was here and the truck driver tried to deliver at a earlier time than what we agreed cause he knew my wife was at least there.  And it was at night.  Almost like the driver and seller were in cahoots.  I was later told the only thing different I could have done was refuse to sign for it or take possession.  :shruggy:

Not sure what your recourse is but by reading some of the your sellers past ebay sales, there's room to wiggle.  I would think that's out and out fraud, you receiving something entirely different than advertised.  But you signed for it, meaning you accepted it IMO.  :shruggy:

Leon, I would run.  Run fast and use this as what's chasing you.  Also, let him know this instance has you concerned.

blackcharger

so aside from the missing parts, are you happy with the car? it looks like a decent project. I did a '69 road runner that was about the same shape, if not worse. One nice thing about one like this, you have the freedoom to build it your way.

zerfetzen

Aside from missing parts and now that gnawing thought that you have to wonder if it's stolen, I have big plans for the car.  I'm on a budget, so it'll probably take me a few years, but I'm shooting for a 440, keisler 5-speed, dana 60 car.  I'm one of those billion guys who's mid-30's and was introduced to the car watching Dukes as a kid.  I doubt I make it a General, but I do like hemi orange, so maybe without the decals.  Then again, I've liked dark green for a while.  The blue charger in Christine looked pretty spiffy.  Black rocks but I've probably just had too many black cars.

Who knows cosmetically what it will end up, but mechanically I'm pretty sure I know what I want all the way around.  XV MotorSports steering column, manual steering, manual brakes, no a/c, ss springs, QA1 shocks, standard worm-style steering linkage setup (not rack & pinion), driveshaft loop, subframe connectors, roll cage (there's that Duke influence creeping in there), and the widest, tallest meats I can squeeze back there :)  I'm hoping for 295/65/15, which I think is supposed to be 30" tall, if it fits.  Don't get me started daydreaming though :)

The70RT

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 08, 2007, 10:06:54 AM
Now your making me Nervous, I'm dealing with him right now, I'm suppose to be sending him money for a part supposably someone else got high bid on but now not buying. I'm hesitant because I've had this scenario happen before where they sell to high bidder & then also sell same item to second high bidder but of course only send to the first guy & pocket money from 2nd guy & then give you run around after you've been scammed, Hmmm :scratchchin: What do you guys think? Should I send the money or will I be scammed? Do they have a good or Bad reputation? I never heard of them before? Let me know? LEON. :shruggy:

If you were a bidder and he send a second chance through eBay it may be ok as long as you PayPal. Otherwise it sounds like his reputation is not worthy.

zerfetzen - whatta dick head. I would be for contacting him and the transport company. Someone needs to end his little games it sounds like.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

no318

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 08, 2007, 10:06:54 AM
One word from me:   DON'T.