News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Transmission rebuild question

Started by gasoline_24, September 08, 2007, 01:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasoline_24

I am restoring a 68 Charger R/T and am about 18 mos. from completion.  I have found a place that will go through my transmission and completely rebuild the internals and paint the exterior for around $500.  I was happy with the price, but was unsure if I should do it now or wait until I am ready to install the drivetrain.  If I do have it done now any suggestions on how I should store it?  I would also not be able to test it until it was in the car.  Just looking for any ideas.

willille

Well  if they rebuild it now and you install it 18 months from now and there is a problem you might run into warranty issues.

375instroke

charger2fast4u

will this place still have it rebuilt for $500 18 months from now if so i would hold off until your almost done your restoration just incase it doesnt work when you put it in or breaks after a short time or any other incidents also does it come with any kind of warranty

gasoline_24

You recommend not painting?  Won't it look more factory this way?  How have others done theirs?  I believe it has a one year warranty, but I will check on that.  What are your thoughts on the cost of the rebuild?  Is this a reasonable amount.  I thought it sounded in line with what I have read on here and other sites.

John_Kunkel

I paint them to seal the pores in the casting, that makes them easier to keep clean. Krylon "Dull Aluminum" looks kinda like bare aluminum.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Hot_Rodder

I would hold off from the rebuild, mainly b/c of warranty issues.... :Twocents:

375instroke

They were unpainted originally.  Most shops that paint their transmissions just rattle bomb the whole thing with bright silver.

41husk

I would see what they do as far as painting the tranny.  If they are just going to clean and spray it, you can do it yourself.  To have a 727 rebuilt at a shop near me is $375, but they don't paint it.  For $125 I can paint it myself :scratchchin:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up