News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering box question

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, September 26, 2005, 04:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Refresh my memory.....is is necessary to remove the steering column to replace the P/S box?

took mine out about 5 years ago and cant remember if I did.

Would like to avoid the hassle if possible.

2nd gen by the way
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

Did mine a few weeks back and everything (steering column) needed to be unbolted and loosened up to make it easier to remove the steering gear.  I took it right out and cleaned it up and painted it, the gear and the column.

8WHEELER

You should not have to take the column out, the last two boxes I did I just made the column
loose and down just a bit and the took the coupler apart and then the box came out fine.
And on one of them I left the box bolted to the K-Frame and dropped the K-Frame and
box still bolted up so that was easy.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks guys.   What I figured.  looking to avoid "breaking paint" on the column as I have already restored it
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

Quote from: 8WHEELER on September 27, 2005, 03:18:15 AM
You should not have to take the column out, the last two boxes I did I just made the column
loose and down just a bit and the took the coupler apart and then the box came out fine.
And on one of them I left the box bolted to the K-Frame and dropped the K-Frame and
box still bolted up so that was easy.

Dan

:iagree:

That is how I did mine after the one in the car failed.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

4402tuff4u

What are the syptoms of a worn out steering box? I have my still in the car and now I that the car apart and it's being worked on, I'm wondering if I should have the box rebuilt. ???
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Chryco Psycho

if the box is leaking or it has a lot of play before responding it is worn

Just 6T9 CHGR

My rebuilt box from Steer & Gear has leaking profusely from the pitman arm seal that has been changed 4 times.  1st time it lasted 1 and 1/2 years...second time it lasted 1 year.... third time it lasted 2 weeks..... 4th time it lasted 15 mins.
Couldnt stand the constant drip anymore staining my driveway and buggin up my nice undercarriage....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4402tuff4u

Mine is not dripping, but it does have some play. I think next week I'll go to the body shop and take it out and drop it off for rebuilt. Now is the time when everything is off and easy to get at. My luck everything will be nice and painted and the first ride I take on it she'll start to drip! There is a place out here in Farmingdale that rebuilds gear boxes. Thanks.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

General Ryan

Mine has been slowly leaking for a long time and I'm thinking of calling "FirmFeel" for one of their boxes or rebuilding mine and adding a Howe steering quickener to reduce the lock to lock from roughly 3:1 to about 2:1.

Any opinions, anyone use a "Howe steering quickener"?

Don't mean to hikack, but it may be beneficial to all of us here with a leaky box

8WHEELER

Never heard of the "Howe steering quickener", I used the longer fast ratio pitman arm and idler arm
from Firm Feel, Works great and does make a big difference. Most people don't seem to like the
fast ratio don't know why you do have to be more carefull at full lock as the longer arms put
more pressure on the box thats why the factory fast ratio boxes came with bump stops in the box
itself like on the AAR Cuda's and the TA Challengers.

Dan

General Ryan

andy74

mine just started to leak in the 72,i can get a rebuilt from advance for about 150 bucks-looks like i will have no shortage of winter projects this year,dont want another baby yet!

Ghoste

If you get the Firm Feel fast ratio setup, does it have the TA bump stops?

8WHEELER

Quote from: Ghoste on October 14, 2005, 08:28:47 AM
If you get the Firm Feel fast ratio setup, does it have the TA bump stops?

NO, he says just to be carefull not to crank it to the end of the boxes travel, he told me if I do
this and don't make the pump squeal I will be fine, 4yrs later and everything is great.

Dan