News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wrinkle paint for air cleaner

Started by astat1, September 17, 2007, 01:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astat1

Is there a secret thats not listed on the can? I am using Krylon Wrinkle paint for an air cleaner and it never comes out like it should. Its very hard to get even as you need to wait 2 hours for the wrinkle to happen. It is too pronounced in some areas and flat in others. Would going over it with an 800 grit sandpaper smooth/even it out or is there some other trick?

Charger-Bodie

spray it on , let it dry for just a minute or two , then take a heat gun from the back side and watch it wrinkle perfectly!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Chatt69chgr

I sanded mine down and sprayed it and at first it was glossy but slowly the wrinkle started appearing.  It took a couple of days for it to wrinkle completely.  And it took a month for it to harden real good.  It is hard as a rock now and looks nice.  I just wonder how it will hold up if gas happens to get on it?  I wonder what they used at the factory?

Ghoste

I would almost bet the factory procedure was just an outside vendor doing basically the same thing but on a larger scale.  Special paint and a little bit of heat.

resq302

I just redid mine due to some chipped areas.  I stripped mine down to bare metal using aircraft stripper and found light surface rust under the wrinkle paint which must have been from the factory.  I scuffed that up with a wire wheel and red scour pad and then primed with krylon gray paint and then sprayed on the wrinkle paint.  Being as impatient as I am, after a couple minutes, I took out the heat and strip gun and heated up the wrinkle paint from a distance over it.  The paint then started wrinkling like it should.  Turned out great with the correct sheen to it and everything. 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: resq302 on September 18, 2007, 11:17:40 AM
I just redid mine due to some chipped areas.  I stripped mine down to bare metal using aircraft stripper and found light surface rust under the wrinkle paint which must have been from the factory.  I scuffed that up with a wire wheel and red scour pad and then primed with krylon gray paint and then sprayed on the wrinkle paint.  Being as impatient as I am, after a couple minutes, I took out the heat and strip gun and heated up the wrinkle paint from a distance over it.  The paint then started wrinkling like it should.  Turned out great with the correct sheen to it and everything. 

thats the way i do it EXCEPT i heat it from underneath so the heat gun heats the metal nice and evenly.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

resq302

How do you support the air cleaner once it is wet with paint? :shruggy:  I had a box under it when I was painting it to be able to paint the lip on the bottom side.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: resq302 on September 18, 2007, 11:36:50 AM
How do you support the air cleaner once it is wet with paint? :shruggy:  I had a box under it when I was painting it to be able to paint the lip on the bottom side.

very carfully set up on a jack stand.

Goldfinger71

I used the Krylon paint and a blow dryer!
Wrinkles right in front of your eyes! :2thumbs:
Just hold the blow dryer to the newly painted area and VIOLA! :coolgleamA:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

69hemi

Since most of the wrinkle paints are enamel, just hit it with some satin clear lacquer ans it wrinkle right up.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

dkn1997

I just use spray on truck bed liner that you get from the parts store.  works great
RECHRGED

Silver R/T

best looking one I saw was Fastbackjon's air cleaner in his red 66 Charger. Guys powdercoated it and it looks great and will last forever.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

71ChallengeHer

My brother bought mine for $25 . He plastic media blasted it. Then painted it with the wrinkle black.  :2thumbs:

HeavyFuel

I used VHT brand wrinkle paint on my cleaner last night, and it turned out great.  Super easy, nice product.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/wrinkleplus.html

maxwellwedge

When your wifes not around put it in the oven! The smell goes away after a couple of weeks...   :lol:

I actually know someone that has an old oven at his shop for doing these and Hemi valve covers.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 01, 2010, 05:20:41 PM
When your wifes not around put it in the oven! The smell goes away after a couple of weeks...   :lol:

I actually know someone that has an old oven at his shop for doing these and Hemi valve covers.

It says to do that right on the can, "200 deg. for 1 hour".   They didn't mention anything about the wife, though.....good tip. ;D

I did it......it really helped to tighten up the wrinkle effect....made it look more like factory, which had a very fine wrinkle.