News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What paint for vacuum pods and headlight rod? (see pic)

Started by Mfr426, September 26, 2005, 06:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hello all, with all this talk about restoring the headlight assemblies I was wondering what paint is correct for these items? This would be the vacuum pods that open the lights and the rods that the light covers rotate on? The rods look like Cadmium as do the pods but I've had no luck with the Eastwood kit to reproduce this color.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks all!

Mike R in Reading PA
aka
MFR426

Drop Top

The only luck I've had, is to have them replated. Then, if your looking for a correct restoration. The pods will have black overspray on them from when they painted the radiator support.

Shakey

I painted my metal plates with the Eastwood's Underhood Black.

The pod & bar got Eastwood's Detail Gray.

Are these the colours / finish you would find on a concours trailer queen -  :shruggy: but they look good to me.

I got this information from other on this site.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Others have just taken a wire wheel to the pods and left them that way....natural.

I used Eastwoods clear zinc on the pods and bar....the retaining clip is black.  I used black phosphate for the nuts and clip screw
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mfr426

Hey, thanks guys! I have most of the Eastwood paint already from past work. Chris, that black phosphate...is that an Eastwood item as well?

Thanks for the shots too! I like the look of the rods. They look good and accurate to me.

Mike R in Reading PA

4402tuff4u

I did mine like Chris "Just 6T9". The only difference in mine I painted the "W" bars with the four paint system by Eastwood that makes it look like "Cad" plating. I spent $ 56.00 for the paint. The cannisters were painted with aluminum blast. They came out awesome. Sorry, no pictures, I wrapped them in newspaper and put them in storage.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

4402tuff4u

I found these in my computer. I stripped everything with wire brush and etch primed the frames and then wet sand it and then painted them black (semi-gloss).
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes Eastwood sells the black phosphate paint.  Its a dark greyish sort of color.  Its used on a lot of nuts/bolts and even the hood release spring
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger4404spd

I left mine natural as well.

bill440rt

Mfr426,
Have you seen Eastwood's Carb Renew? It's for use on Holley carbs, etc to get that goldish look back to them. It might be more of the color you're looking for, vs gold cad plated. They look like they might have gold cad at one time, based on your photo.

Chris, your assemblies look great, but what did you use on Barbie??   :icon_smile_big:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on September 28, 2005, 06:47:59 AM

Chris, your assemblies look great, but what did you use on Barbie?? :icon_smile_big:

Ha!  Wait till GI Joe comes to your house pal!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mfr426

Bill440, my pods and bar are as original. They do look like gold cadmium. I have seen that carb renew from Eastwood and that would be a good match for both the pod and the bar (and clip based on my car). I like about 30 minutes from Eastwood. Might be a good lunch trip.

Thanks all for the comments!

Mike R in Reading PA

bill440rt

Good Luck, Mike!

Chris, tell GI Joe I'll be waiting for him!  :icon_smile_tongue:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce