News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

$5 pep boys spray dye for interior, anyone have a problem with it?

Started by MikeMacCham, September 23, 2007, 12:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeMacCham

Hey guys.
I have a 68 charger w/ red interior that I want to change to black, the condition's good and I am broke. So I started to use a interior dye from pep boys. I was wondering if anyone ever had a problem with the stuff?
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

moparguy01

ive never used a rattle can interior dye, I like Dupont's plastic paint for the hard stuff and SEM's for the flexible stuff.

MikeMacCham

AWSOME, and that works well? What do you suggest for preping the pieces? looks like this stuff is kind of a shiny finish to it in uneven areas. any ideas how to fix it? I was thinking FINE (more than 220) sand paper with a little water to even out the shine.
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

moparguy01

no, to prep its actually pretty easy, it just smells HORRIBLE. I use dupont vinyl/plastic prep. What you do is you wet a rag down with the plastic prep, then you use a GREY SCOTCHBRITE pad to scuff it up real good. Yes it has to be the grey one. Then wet another rag down with the cleaner, and wipe it over the plastic/vinyl areas a second time, but this time follow it with a dry clean rag, so you effectively wipe off any excess of the prep solution. Then tack it down if you need to and spray it.

220 is pretty coarse still too. when you say fine paper I think 1500-2500 grit paper.

keepat

Quote from: MikeMacCham on September 23, 2007, 12:44:05 AM
Hey guys.
I have a 68 charger w/ red interior that I want to change to black, the condition's good and I am broke. So I started to use a interior dye from pep boys. I was wondering if anyone ever had a problem with the stuff?
Don't dye it!Too many Black interior, keep it RED! :Twocents:

MikeMacCham

"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

chargerman68

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

keepat

Quote from: chargerman68 on September 24, 2007, 11:27:30 AM
nice color on that interior
Thanks! Don't get me wrong Black always looks nice, but with color you see the all detail.
Pat

chargerman68

mine is blk with yellow inserts but that red is killer maybe i will change :icon_smile_big:
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Mike DC

I think the SEM brand of interior spray-can "dyes" work about as well as any of the vinyl paints that I've tried spraying out of a real paint gun.

BlueSS454

SEM Vinyl dye.  I got it from the local auto paint store for like $10 a can.  SO far I have used 7 cans of it and need at least 1 more.  I dyed the seats from green to tan, and the door panels from black to tan.  I did the console also, but dno't have a pic of it handy.

Tom Rightler

Toretto

Quote from: keepat on September 23, 2007, 03:09:30 PM
Quote from: MikeMacCham on September 23, 2007, 12:44:05 AM
Hey guys.
Don't dye it!Too many Black interior, keep it RED! :Twocents:
I totally agree  ;D