News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Prepping tail light bezels and housings for paint

Started by bull, September 22, 2007, 02:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I have some overspray on my '68 tail light assemblies, apparently from a top-notch (:eek2:) restoration done in my car's past, and I'm wondering what's the best way to remove the paint from A. the ribbed portion of the tail light bezels and B. the back side of my tail light housings. I was going to try using 0000 steel wool and thinner (which many say is great for removing paint from and shining up chrome) but on the ribbed bezels would a good once over with some Scotch Bright be enough? Same with the factory black on the housings; do I just rough it up with Scotch Bright, mask it off and paint it?

Also (I know this has been asked before) what type of silver was used on the bezels and what type of black was used on the housings?

Silver R/T

I just used semi gloss black on mine and I believe argent silver is the right color for the silver part. As far as removing overspray try some wax and grease remover on a rag, see if that works.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

Come on fellas. There has to be more of you that can chime in here. :shruggy:

bill440rt

Bull,
Yes, 0000 steel wool can be used to remove overspray. Lacquer thinner might make a mess, though. If you're trying to remove ALL the paint on the housings, just use the thinner.

A wheel argent silver paint is good on the ribbed portions. Krylon semi-gloss black is good on the black areas, or try SEM Trim Black as well. Plasti-Kote's Flat black is also a good choice.

Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use the Scotch Brite on the chrome!! You'll scratch the sh*t out of it!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Quote from: bill440rt on September 25, 2007, 10:02:38 AM
Bull,
Yes, 0000 steel wool can be used to remove overspray. Lacquer thinner might make a mess, though. If you're trying to remove ALL the paint on the housings, just use the thinner.

A wheel argent silver paint is good on the ribbed portions. Krylon semi-gloss black is good on the black areas, or try SEM Trim Black as well. Plasti-Kote's Flat black is also a good choice.

Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use the Scotch Brite on the chrome!! You'll scratch the sh*t out of it!

But 0000 steel wool can be used on it, right?

bill440rt

Yes, as long as the steel wool if fine enough, such as 0000 grade. I wouldn't go any rougher than that. Use it on the chrome only, it will scratch other painted areas.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce