News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel tank rust repair...when is a tank non repairable?

Started by Wakko, September 27, 2005, 09:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

The fuel tank in my '77 Fury is in serious need of assistance.  The car sat for a number of years and the tank has varnish and rust inside.  I know POR makes a fuel tank repair kit that I was planning on using, but I wanted to make sure the tank was repairable.  Providing there are no holes or really thin spots, it should be still usable, right?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

4402tuff4u

Wakko, if you're going through the trouble of removing it for repairs, you might want to consider replacing it with new. I know some of these tanks are expensive, however if you can find one new for about $ 100 it will be worth it. You might want to look at a local auto junk yard for a good used one. You might find one for that type of body from another Chrysler model in better condition. I don't particular care for repairs to a gasoline tank. Too volatile of a product for my ease of mind. Just my opinion.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Wakko

I agree with you.  Unfortunately they don't make a new tank for the Fury (that I could find, anyway).  I'm going to check out the boneyards this week but I'm not sure what tanks will fit this car besides Fury/Monaco.  I need seats too, so I've got some measuring to do.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

blackcharger

I would think that with all of these models uswed by police they should still be an easy boneyard find.
       Dave

Wakko

Not here in South Florida.  I don't know what they used in the 70's but it wasn't Monacos here.  I've never seen even ONE on the roads or in the junkyards.  I'm hoping ot find a similar B Body but I dont even know what gas tanks will fit.
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

JimShine

Same in my local yards. I can show you lots of Chargers of all years, but only one 70's Monaco/Fury.

Drop Top

I have had allot of trouble with the coatings that go inside the tanks. The problem with finding a used one is. If you find one, finding a used one thats better then what you already have.

What I do is, this. Take the tank to a radiator shop and have it cleaned. Many shops will weld up or braze the rust holes for you. If they will, then your good to go. I have welded on tanks before. But you must fallow certain steps or you WILL blow up the tank and possable your self in the process. If the shop will not do it for you, I suggest. Using JB Weld or some sort of a two part cold weld on the rusty areas. This works also. Just make sure that the cold weld is completely cured before filling the tank with gas.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722