News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

to flange or not

Started by doitmopar, September 27, 2005, 11:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doitmopar

I'm going to replace a rear quarther panel,so when i cut and replace the panel do i need to leave metal to make a flange out of?

bill440rt

doitmopar,
I just got done replacing the right 1/4 on my '69 project car. This was the first 1/4 skin I've ever replaced. On the repro 1/4, I cut off the top flange, the rear where it turns back to the tail light panel, & the front where it turns into the door jamb. Basically, I was left with a big "patch panel."
On the car, I left the original metal back at the tail light panel, the rear bumper impression, and the original door jamb opening. I left about 1 inch below the top body line, and about 1-1/2 in from the door jamb & rear area of the 1/4. I then flanged the top and front (door) area. I did not flange the back, as the rear 1/4 came pretty close to the back line & I was able to feather in the filler quite nicely there.
I used 3M's bonding adhesive all around the bottom flanges : trunk floor extension, wheelhouse, & rocker panel. This is super-strong stuff, & I used it for corrosion protection as well as strength in the lower areas. It is designed for this use. I then welded all the outer/upper areas, 1 tack at a time spacing them out about a foot or so. Once 50% welded or so, I started cleaning up my welds with a grinder. I did not completely weld it up & then grind, as I did'nt want to warp the panel from heat from grinding, either.
I ground those down, did some more welding, grinding, welding, etc. Once fully welded & ground, I gave it a skim coat of Evercoat's Duraglas filler & sanded it smooth. I primed it with PPG's DP gray epoxy primer, & now it's ready for final plastic/body filler work. I like to do the plastic work over the DP primer, it feathers real nicely, & sticks better than over bare steel.
For the inside, you have a seam to deal with. Instead of welding the inside, & gave it a coat of the 3M's bonding adhesive again & smoothed it out with a small throwaway brush. So, the 1/4 is welded from the outside, & bonded on the inside. It's not going anywhere! The bonding adhesive flows out real nicely as it dries, so once I give it a thick coat of the sound deadener or undercoating you won't see the seam.
I'll try to post some pics later.
Good Luck!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce