News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what to use to strip the paint off a 68 dash bezel?? & anyone have an extra???

Started by HITMAN 149, October 08, 2007, 05:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HITMAN 149

hey guys..
short story.. i'm redoing my dash over myself like DK did in another post... (semi flat spray paint & paint markers!!! ;))
well i messed up at the end and need to start allllll over again with the spray can!!! LOL ehhhh oh well!!  :rotz:
what should i use, that would be easy to strip off the paint????? and not ruin the plastic bezel???
and also does anyone have an extra??? cause i'm gonna end up drilling an extra hole in mine.. to make a high beam indicator.. since i'm doing different gauges. this way i'll have a good one for later on... just in case???
thanks.....
-JOHN
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

JimShine

I cleaned one down to the original plating by washing it a few times in the dishwasher. The super heated water made the paint seperate from the chrome. I think it took 3 washes and a scrub with a hard biristled toothbrish in between.

Another item that should work is careful use of lacquer thinner. It may strip some of the chrome off, but is pretty safe for the plastic so long as it isn't submerged. DO NOT use nailpolish remover aka acetone. It will eat the plastic.

HITMAN 149

thanks jim....
agghhhh of course.... my dishwasher is out of commision right now!!!  :icon_smile_blackeye:

i'll go get some lacquer thiner... some 30 weight oil, and a case of ball bearings..... hell it's all ball bearings nowadays!!! hehehe

thanks!!
:cheers:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

lilwendal

Easy off oven cleaner yellow can works every time.  Thats all I ever use. Spray it on. let it sit for a half hour or so. Spray it off.  Dry, then repeat.  Usually two applications does the trick.

HITMAN 149

01 BMW 740i SPORT  

lilwendal

HITMAN 149

01 BMW 740i SPORT  

HITMAN 149

GOT A YELLOW CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :2thumbs:
i'll get to it on either thur night or friday??
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

terrible one

Haha that oven cleaner really is good. Used to be part of my parts washing mix. . . kerosene, acetone, mineral spirits, oven cleaner and some other toxic fun things.

HITMAN 149

nICE!!!! especially when you mix some of em together!!!! POOOF!!!!!!!!! LOL
01 BMW 740i SPORT