News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Windshield: To Smash Or Not To Smash...That Is The Question

Started by zerfetzen, October 08, 2007, 08:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerfetzen

I plan on getting a new windshield for my 69 Charger project.  I know getting the windshield out in one piece is difficult, especially if you've never done it before.  Is there any reason not to just smash it in the beginning on purpose?  My trusty Project Charger book is pretty well confusing me with having to figure out all the possible ways that it could have been set, like urethane, self-locking gasket, locking bead gasket, and nonlocking bead gasket.  Is the caveman approach stupid here?  Thanks.
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

justin1987

Cut the gasket with a razor knife and pull the window out. It is a really simple job. You can always sell the windshield if you don't want it.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Winged 1

;)
No expert here but pretty sure smashing it will not give you the result your looking for. Theres a sheet of plastic between the glass that is suppose to keep it from shattering and getting into peoples eyes in the event of a crash. Pretty sure a big bowl of Cheerios and some time you can just sit in the seat with a buddy and push with the legs from the inside with just constant pressure should get it out..
Best of luck..

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Winged 1 on October 08, 2007, 09:23:24 PM
Theres a sheet of plastic between the glass that is suppose to keep it from shattering

Well apperentley my windshield DIDNT have that. When we found my car, the front bumper was sticking out of where the windshield was and their was glass all over the cowl, hood and inside the car. So if it did have the plastic in mine, it didnt work :lol:

BMOTOXSTAR

Smash it, Smash it, yeah yeah, like smash it. :o
Just kidding, take it out nice & keep it. :slap:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

700jfm

Is there something wrong with the old one ? My charger's windshield is cracked and sun faded- and i will replace it. But i removed it with all the care as if I was going to reuse it. It"s probably not worth anything but it seems like the right thing to do.

Silver R/T

you can try cutting it out, if it don't work ... you know what to do ;)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

70charger_boy

Dude, don't smash it.  My opera window smashed 2 weeks ago and I'm still picking glass shards from my ass.  Just do it the right way

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 08, 2007, 10:31:19 PM
My opera window smashed 2 weeks ago and I'm still picking glass shards from my ass.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:, by the way...check the post count now :nana:

terrible one

My windshield is cracked and busted in a few places. But I don't think I'll be replacing it. Because it would cost money. Until it implodes I'll keep it. Besides, it's got cool old registration stickers on it!  :coolgleamA:

70charger_boy

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on October 08, 2007, 10:37:22 PM
My opera window smashed 2 weeks ago and I'm still picking glass shards from my ass.

Remember, you'll be in school and I'll be posting  ;D

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 08, 2007, 11:05:36 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on October 08, 2007, 10:37:22 PM

Remember, you'll be in school and I'll be posting  ;D

BRING IT!!!! :smilielol: I guess that means double time when I get home  :smilielol:

zerfetzen

Wow, I guess that's pretty much unanimous, thanks guys, I'll do it the right way then.

VPFD13

All car sold in the US have had the plastic in the windshield  since the 60's it called laminated glass it a safety feature to keep you from being impaled with large shards of glass and retain some protection from objects coming into you car. You side and rear windows are tempered glass and they break in to small cubes. If you break the windshield it will put small shards every where. Trust me I work with broken windshie ls from time to time even with gloves on you always manage to get poked and the small slivers will reapare as if by magic to stab you fingers next time you use the gloves for anything.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

To be born free man is an accident, to live as one a responsibility and to die as one an obligation

bill440rt

Quote from: VPFD13 on October 09, 2007, 08:12:17 AM
All car sold in the US have had the plastic in the windshield  since the 60's it called laminated glass it a safety feature to keep you from being impaled with large shards of glass and retain some protection from objects coming into you car. You side and rear windows are tempered glass and they break in to small cubes. If you break the windshield it will put small shards every where. Trust me I work with broken windshie ls from time to time even with gloves on you always manage to get poked and the small slivers will reapare as if by magic to stab you fingers next time you use the gloves for anything.

:iagree:
Smashing the windshield = Bad Idea.  :down:
You will make more of a mess & it will be harder to remove if broken. Here's how I did mine. It's pretty simple, & I did it myself:
1) Remove the stainless trim, wipers, inside trim, etc.
2) Try to remove as much sealant as you can from around the base of the windshield, cowl are, etc. This will make it come out easier.
3) Take a screwdriver, center punch, etc, & dislodge the locking strip in the gasket that goes up both pillars & across the top of the windshield.
4) Using a SHARP razor knife, cut the windshield gasket around the entire perimeter of the windshield. To me, re-using the original, dried out old gasket makes no sense when repros or new ones are still available at low cost. You'll get a much cleaner job & have less chance of leaks when you put the replacement windshield back in.
5) Now the fun part. Get inside the car & GENTLY push the windshield out from the inside. I simply sat on the floor & used my feet, it came out   fairly easily & in one piece.
6) Clean off any remaining sealant residue from the windshield frame.

Finally, I smashed the old windshield when I threw it away in the dumpster. It was toast, anyway. It was the "safer" way to smash!  :rofl: :smilielol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

zerfetzen

:iagree:
Smashing the windshield = Bad Idea.  :down:
You will make more of a mess & it will be harder to remove if broken. Here's how I did mine. It's pretty simple, & I did it myself:
1) Remove the stainless trim, wipers, inside trim, etc.
2) Try to remove as much sealant as you can from around the base of the windshield, cowl are, etc. This will make it come out easier.
3) Take a screwdriver, center punch, etc, & dislodge the locking strip in the gasket that goes up both pillars & across the top of the windshield.
4) Using a SHARP razor knife, cut the windshield gasket around the entire perimeter of the windshield. To me, re-using the original, dried out old gasket makes no sense when repros or new ones are still available at low cost. You'll get a much cleaner job & have less chance of leaks when you put the replacement windshield back in.
5) Now the fun part. Get inside the car & GENTLY push the windshield out from the inside. I simply sat on the floor & used my feet, it came out   fairly easily & in one piece.
6) Clean off any remaining sealant residue from the windshield frame.

Finally, I smashed the old windshield when I threw it away in the dumpster. It was toast, anyway. It was the "safer" way to smash!  :rofl: :smilielol:

I'm going to try this method this weekend, with a buddy present.  I definitely know what sealant and a gasket are, but what is the locking strip in the gasket I hear so much about?  Thanks.

69bronzeT5