News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Amp meter to volt gauge conversion. Anyone do it yet??

Started by y3chargerrt, October 09, 2007, 03:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y3chargerrt

Has anyone done the conversion yet? I emailed Redline to get info and this was the reply.

The amp to voltmeter conversion is $125 if we use the stock amp gauge face, if you want the factory appearing volt scale printed on the face that is an additional $35. This conversion does require that you send us the complete cluster because we have to modify the housing a little to fit the new voltmeter in. Please give us a call if you have further questions. (661) 259-8891

I am not at all crazy about sending my entire cluster. Seems unnecessary to me. Does anyone other then Redline do this?

BrianShaughnessy

Did you scroll down and read this thread?    http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33858.0.html 

Didn't think so.    But he doesn't say if he has the voltmeter face decal either.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

y3chargerrt

Thanks Brian and no i didn't read that entire thread.I think I will stick to a stock looking amp meter face anyway.

2Gunz

I have the plans for an under - over voltage circuit.

Basically you could set a voltage and when the voltage drops below it... a Red LED (or whatever you want)

would turn on telling you the alt isnt charging. And if you got really creative you could hide that out of sight

inside the amp gauge so it lights up red when the altanator isnt charging.

Not exactly the same thing. But ALOT cheaper.

And lets face it, its pretty irrelavent what the voltage is anyway as long as the alt is charging.

(and yes I do realize there are some exceptions... but ya.... )

I havent done it yet to my car but will when I get a chance.

BrianShaughnessy

Got my cluster back from Redline this afternoon.   

A couple weeks and a couple hundred smackers between the $160 and shipping both ways.

Waiting on a RTE limiter before I put it back in. 

69chargerR/T

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on January 24, 2008, 10:31:05 PM

A couple weeks and a couple hundred smackers between the $160 and shipping both ways.

Brian,I also wanted to get the RTE volt limiter but I lost the link to there site when my hard drive crashed!!!!!!!!!!! can you post the web site link.

Thanks, Alan

BrianShaughnessy

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looks like some nice work.  The RTE limiter looks like a nice piece as well....I have a few old limiters laying around I can send back to offset the cost ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

y3chargerrt

Brian, Why did they need your cluster to do the conversion? what kind of mods did they do to the cluster to get the gauge in? Ron

Tilar

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on January 24, 2008, 10:31:05 PM

That looks good, but I wonder what gauge he's using for the gauge mechanics.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Tilar on January 27, 2008, 01:33:57 PM

That looks good, but I wonder what gauge he's using for the gauge mechanics.

What you don't see there is my Resto by Julius tach...    I mentioned that on the phone and whoever it was on the phone at Redline said " oh yeah... we make them for him" knowing full well that they use VDO guts for the tach.    Now I do not exactly recall him saying he used a vdo voltmeter but I'm assuming so.

Chatt69chgr

I suppose you could convert the existing ammeter into a voltmeter by removing the shunt and adding a resistor in series.  Resistor size would depend on what the internal resistance of the gauge is and what it's full scale current deflection is.  Probably something like 1 milliampere.  Or, you could order a voltmeter from somebody like VDO:

http://www.vehiclecontrols.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1147

which lists for $38 and use it for the guts.  It's deflection is 8-16 volts which is usually what cars read.  Better than 0-16 volts.  Of course, you would have to reletter the existing ampgauge face.  Seems like I have seen somewhere decals to re-letter the amp meter on Chargers to Voltmeter readings.  Not sure where?  Maybe Phoenix Graphix.  If anyone can remember who has this decal, chime in.

COKE

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on January 27, 2008, 08:41:55 PM
Of course, you would have to reletter the existing ampgauge face.  Seems like I have seen somewhere decals to re-letter the amp meter on Chargers to Voltmeter readings.  Not sure where?  Maybe Phoenix Graphix.  If anyone can remember who has this decal, chime in.

I just  have adapted a voltmeter to my rallye cluster.
The pointer  was too short so i have glued another needle from other gauge .
Not for a show car but it is ok for driving, keeping the original look.
I only need the decal with the volts scale.If somebody does know where to get it ,will make my day.

69´Charger R/T,440 ,4-speed,Dana 60 3.55.