News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I LOVE MY 440 IN MY 69 CHARGER, BUT.......................

Started by leeandgrant, November 04, 2007, 01:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leeandgrant

So I am getting my 69 charger ready to put away for the long winter nap here in Wisconsin. Changing the oil, flushing tranny, new tranny filter, putting some new aftermarket gauges in it ,changed rotor, cap, plug wires and changing the PLUGS :cussing: I have stock HP exhaust manifolds on the 440. The drivers side was a breeze. The passenger side, :flame:, is a different story. The easiest way I found to change them was up from the bottom side of the engine.

Was wondering if anyone has a better/easier way of changing the passenger side plugs?? :icon_smile_question:
1968 318 Charger
1969 440 General Lee
1970 440/4speed Super Bee clone Project
1968 383 Charger project
1969 charger parts car
1977 Plymouth Trailduster
2003 Dodge Hemi Ram
2009 Dodge Charger Super Bee SRT
2000 Dodge dually diesel

rt green

i know the cop cars that used to come in the shop i worked in, we had to get them through the wheel opening
third string oil changer

1969chargerrtse

I see it's a pain in the can, but you don't do this every year right?  That type of work your doing should last 10 plus years easy for a collector car.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1FastCharger

That does sound like a lot of work for hibernation. I am glad I live in Texas. I can drive my car just about year round.  :poke:
66 A100 - 68 Charger - 69 Charger

Nacho-RT74

from down the car is the right and comfortably way to change teh driver side spark plugs.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

69_500

I change mine from the top side of the passenger side as well. I just use an open end wrench instead of the socket. Just a stubby open end works great. I don't have a dolly so getting under the car can be a pain sometimes in a cramped garage.

leeandgrant

There are days I love my 68 318 Charger alot more than my 69 440 charger. She sure is a lot easier on gas, but man the chicks love the 440.
1968 318 Charger
1969 440 General Lee
1968 383 Charger project
1969 charger parts car
2003 Dodge Hemi Ram
2000 Dodge dually diesel

RallyeMike

I used to use a plug socket that had a hex end on it and cut in half stubby wrench. Easy to do up top that way.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

The70RT

Quote from: rt green on November 04, 2007, 02:12:06 AM
i know the cop cars that used to come in the shop i worked in, we had to get them through the wheel opening

There is no inner wheel opening on a 2ed gen  :-\ Unless you try to go through tose little inspection covers.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

blackcharger

I always did the passenger side from the front, under the altornater. I use a regular plug socket, and put a box end wrench on the socket. not bad at all.

leeandgrant

Man, ask, and you shall receive. You guys are  :coolgleamA:. There are always a second or third way to do everything. Thanks
1968 318 Charger
1969 440 General Lee
1968 383 Charger project
1969 charger parts car
2003 Dodge Hemi Ram
2000 Dodge dually diesel

Big Lebowski

Hah, try changing the plugs with headers on a 440...You'll curse the headers and wish for the stock exh. again. Trust me.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

69charger2002

that ain't no lie. same goes for the starter too(assuming you have the old school big starter, not the mini starter)
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

moparstuart

Quote from: The70RT on November 04, 2007, 01:18:19 PM
Quote from: rt green on November 04, 2007, 02:12:06 AM

There is no inner wheel opening on a 2ed gen  :-\ Unless you try to go through tose little inspection covers.
i had terrible header on my 70 r/t 440 and had to use the inspection cover to change at least two
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

VPFD13

I use the spark plug socket with the flats on the top and use a open end wrench. It only took me two years to figure that out but it works well.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

To be born free man is an accident, to live as one a responsibility and to die as one an obligation

The70RT

I had headers. So plugs and starter was  :brickwall: I was gonna build mine up and all but am seriously thinking of going back stock since it isn't gonna be at the track much if any. Everyone keeps telling me to go back factory. I had put an allum. intake, headers, bigger carb with a little bigger cam back in 80. Thinking of maybe hardened seats and a regasket since I have only put 2000 on it since then.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us