News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Getting ready to replace 440 rear main seal, any advice?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 14, 2007, 05:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Hi, my 440 leaks out the rear of the motor, pretty sure it's the rear main seal.  I was reading post from a year ago and now have to  wonder if I should do the job?    Any advise from people who have done the job on their backs?  Advice on the best part supplier and any tools needed?  Any help would be appreciated. :scratchchin:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Rolling_Thunder

no specialty tools needed really - just a 12pt 3/8" socket for the seal retaining plate...    other than that it is all gravy...         

one suggestion: remember to drain the oil first...     ask me how i forgot to do that once...     :flame:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on October 14, 2007, 11:10:11 PM
no specialty tools needed really - just a 12pt 3/8" socket for the seal retaining plate...    other than that it is all gravy...         

one suggestion: remember to drain the oil first...     ask me how i forgot to do that once...     :flame:
Couldn't of been as bad as the time my dad, drained the oil for a oil change, then added 5 quarts of oil to the trani and drove down the road with the engine knocking and slipping gears? :yesnod:  Or my brother that we asked to add a quart of oil to the car, and 15 mins later he was still leaning over the fender dribbling a small stream of oil into the dip stick tube> :laugh:   Yes, sad to say this is my gene pool.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.