News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his 69 charger R/T SE

Started by 1969chargerrtse, October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemihead

Quote from: RD on October 15, 2007, 09:48:20 PM
Quote from: Chris G. on October 15, 2007, 07:01:13 PM
Quote from: 68charger383 on October 15, 2007, 06:48:53 PM
I know everyone says the world is sue happy, but this sounds like one of those times its not....call Ebay's buyer protection and see what kind of claim you can make with them!

Post the sellers name so we can make sure no one deals with them.

Not a chance in hell you could get anything back on that car at this point. Bottom line, you buy a car sight unseen, YOU are taking a huge risk. You have no one to blame but yourself if things don't pan out the way they should. I bought 3 cars sight unseen, and thankfully they worked out for the most part. The one I actually did buy that I saw up close turned out to be a disaster. I was lucky the EPA didn't show up at my house considering the entire neighborhood smelled like paint varnish.

Sucks about the car dude. If I plunked down 30K plus, I would be just as pissed as you. Good Luck getting it fixed and back up and running.

sux about your car, seriously, but I totally agree with Chris.  That is the first rule on Ebay is when purchasing a vehicle, you do not buy it unseen.  I know you don't want to hear that, but my empathy can only go so far, especially when it is not the car's problem that you were screwed over, but the seller who sold it to you and yourself for not doing your homework.

No offense, but whenever someone says that this is why they are a GM guy because they have some aches and woes about their charger, tells me they truly do not appreciate the car for what it is.

One question, if you built the car and it had all these issues would you be just as pissed as you are now knowing you bought the car this way?  I would think not, because then all you had to do was blame yourself.  You are projecting your anger for the seller and yourself towards the car.  The car didnt do anything, you did.

These posts piss me off, sorry, but I take offense to it.  I am dodge loyal, have been forever.  My dodge's have lasted forever with no issues, and if there is one, guess what, I fix it.  If you are such the GM guy, go buy a camaro and let that break down on you 4 times and then you can post in a camaro forum about how you should be a MOPAR guy.  I just dont want to hear this crap.

I really dont care if you take offense to this or not, its my opinion and it will stay with me.  I think finger pointing in the blame game, especially putting one brand over another (albeit GM in a MOPAR forum) is just asking for a rebuke and chastising.

If you want accolades for your MOPAR bashing, take this post to a GM forum, but you will not get anything but the opposite from me.

I am tired, had a couple of beers, and this just chapped my ass.
Well stated. I am a Mopar only guy for 30 years and I've learned that if you are GM , stay GM.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

twenty mike mike

Quote from: hemihead on October 15, 2007, 10:51:36 PM

Well stated. I am a Mopar only guy for 30 years and I've learned that if you are GM , stay GM.

Kinda like, "If you don't surf, don't start." Or something like that.

twenty mike mike

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM
  Short block time.  Just not now.  Time to buy a car cover.

Not that this'll make you feel any better, but it's a beautiful car, even standing still. And a short block is cheaper than fixing rust. Good luck with it.

supserdave

Good luck man. At least now if you build the motor you'll know what it is and won't have to question somebody else's work or lack there of.

It looks sweet though,I'm sure you'll have it going before you know it.

chargerkid

Thats a sweet looking car!  You shouldn't give up hope.  All of us deal with things breaking on cars and replacing parts etc. 

GreenMachine

Now you have the perfect excuse to build the engine how you want it from the ground up! Some people have all the luck.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

nakita7

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 15, 2007, 06:22:50 PM
Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on October 15, 2007, 06:17:35 PM
That sucks. Stuff like that is the main reason I'm loosing intrest in cars altogether.

:iagree:

:iagree:

So...what other less stressful hobbies do you have?  :eyes:

Hemidog

Quote from: twenty mike mike on October 15, 2007, 11:22:15 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 15, 2007, 05:57:33 PM
  Short block time.  Just not now.  Time to buy a car cover.

Not that this'll make you feel any better, but it's a beautiful car, even standing still. And a short block is cheaper than fixing rust. Good luck with it.
:iagree: You have a beautiful car! Mine does run, but it's pretty rusty in the rear, and i would rather build an engine than do body work!

derailed

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on October 15, 2007, 09:04:23 PM
The problem is that the Charger knows your a GM guy........................it's all about the 'carma' :o

BBD
I dont know about that. My charger seems to get along well surrounded by Pontiacs in the garage. :D

70charger_boy

I would really like to say, do no give up hope.  I have been really slow getting my Charger on the road.  I probably wanted to sell it or burn it, at least, 50 times.  In the end, I look at her in all her rawness, and I can't do it.  Hopefully, you're just jumping the gun and maybe the motor isn't toast.  Either way, just be lucky that you have a car that so many of us would love to have.

BTW  Who cares about buying a car sight unseen.  I do it all the time

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 16, 2007, 07:27:06 AM
I just talked to the past owner, we made an aggrement of him sending 2,000.00.  This was not easy to agree on, but we did it to put it behind us.  I hope you all agree that was good enough.  I used the ebay link listed for safe harbor, and this should be behind us.    :icon_smile_cool:

Well, that was more than I would have expected from anyone, so that's a good start in getting your motor rebuilt.. I haven't read the complete thread, just the initial post.. Bad luck Dude.. That sucks........... Hopefully everything will turn out for the better. Like you mentioned, it is a sweet looking '69...........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

PocketThunder

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 16, 2007, 07:30:06 AM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 16, 2007, 07:27:06 AM
I just talked to the past owner, we made an aggrement of him sending 2,000.00.  This was not easy to agree on, but we did it to put it behind us.  I hope you all agree that was good enough.  I used the ebay link listed for safe harbor, and this should be behind us.    :icon_smile_cool:

Well, that was more than I would have expected from anyone, so that's a good start in getting your motor rebuilt.. I haven't read the complete thread, just the initial post.. Bad luck Dude.. That sucks........... Hopefully everything will turn out for the better. Like you mentioned, it is a sweet looking '69...........

Yes $2000 is a good deal.  I spent $2200 on my 440's machine work at the engine shop.  You shouldnt be too far behind then.  Keep your stick on the ice!  :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

1BAD68

these old cars will keep you busy but thats the fun of it in my opinion.
I bought one of my dream cars once, a beautiful A12 Superbee that needed nothing. Other than driving it that car was as boring as watching paint dry. Sold it and now have a 68 Charger thats a long way from being 100% but I love this car because there's always something to fix or re-do or upgrade.
You have to be a do it yourself type to really enjoy these cars.
Besides now is the perfect time to yank the motor and put a nice recipe together for it right before winter.
:2thumbs:

The70RT

Quote from: 70charger_boy on October 16, 2007, 06:12:41 AM
I would really like to say, do no give up hope.  I have been really slow getting my Charger on the road.  I probably wanted to sell it or burn it, at least, 50 times.  In the end, I look at her in all her rawness, and I can't do it.  Hopefully, you're just jumping the gun and maybe the motor isn't toast.  Either way, just be lucky that you have a car that so many of us would love to have.

BTW  Who cares about buying a car sight unseen.  I do it all the time

He paid 30K. Most people go look at that expensive of a car before shelling out that much. Why have -Anyone wanna buy a 69 Charger RT/SE .....then put It isn't for sale in your post :-\ You can still revise you title so you don't get more flamage. I'm glad you got some cash back :2thumbs: By the way do you have some GM's???
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on October 16, 2007, 07:07:56 AM
Quote from: BigBlackDodge on October 15, 2007, 09:04:23 PM
The problem is that the Charger knows your a GM guy........................it's all about the 'carma' :o

BBD
That made me chuckle :hah:

Good!  :icon_smile_cool:

Now go fix that Dodge! :2thumbs:

BBD

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

triple_green

Did you inspect the car in person, before you bought it?

This is a hard lesson I learned. Pictures only tell you if big"chucks" are missing.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Tom_440

Sorry about your problems. If something had to go wrong, you were lucky it was mechanical. If the car was a bondo over rust wagon, it would be a fortune to fix. Heck, with $2K you can buy a new radiator and a good running used 440 (not off e-bay) and get back on the road. Build the motor you want when time permits - just don't put a chevy rat in the car!

Mass_Mopar

I hope you get it back on the road soon  :2thumbs: it looks great :cheers:
-Nick

70 Charger 500 383/833 pistol grip 3.91sg
71 New Yorker 440/Auto
04 Ram 5.7L 4x4 5spd 3.92 Auburn Posi
Old screen name MA_Young_Gun

Todd Wilson

Wonder how long until the body and paint starts falling off?!

Todd

1BAD68

Quote from: Todd Wilson on October 16, 2007, 11:41:30 AM
Wonder how long until the body and paint starts falling off?!

Todd

::)

JR

It's good to hear your luck has turned around. But on the car's behalf it wasn't the car's fault the motor broke. It was the guy who put it together before you got it. Every single problem I've ever had with my Mopars was a previous owners screwup. It will be a great car worth every penny when your'e done. :2thumbs:
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Brock Samson

Sorry for your trials and tribulations:
I remember when you were awaiting that car,.. It sure looks sweet,.. but who knew the motor was gonna granade?..  :shruggy: i have a   rule of thumb for buying big ticket items:

One: wait 24 hours to insure it's not a knee jerk reaction.
Two: Never go into debt over anything only pay for what i can afford.
Three: For things mechanical complicated and/orexpensive especially old cars and such, have approx. 15% of the items purchase price in reserve to afford for mechanical disasters such as you've now experianced.

Go $30K into debt for a play toy?.. No freakin way.
But that's just me.

69charger2002

i bought 2 new 440 long blocks ready to go out of a company in washington state.. paid $1950 each for them and i didn't have to send them a core.. 7 yr 70,000 mile warranty too. might be worth checking into anyway.. $2k is good for a good rebuilt 440
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

68chrgrwife

ok So I had to read from post one to the end before I was ready to respond....Like everyone, I am sorry to hear that the engine blew.....But you have one awesome looking car there.  If every time some Sh** happened that was not good to our charger and we went to GM (or any other manufacturer) we would have millions of cars....I swear Christine was reborn in our charger.  LOL.  If you have put 200 miles on the car since having it..even the previous owner could not have foreseen that the engine was gonna blow.  How can you blame him?  I just don't see how he could have known that 200 miles later the engine was going to blow.  If that was the case...I could have made a fortune off my chally buy.  I had it for a few weeks before it started overheating and not starting properly..you bought a 30+ year old car....it will have problems..no matter what price you paid!
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!