News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Scotts clone racecar - re-visited

Started by BPTRacing, February 21, 2012, 12:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPTRacing

Figured I would not try to revive the old post on my car, since there has been very little progress.

But I have been in a "picture posting" mood the last day or two and there has been a little improvement in my situation.

Anyone not up to speed can do a search for "iced clone" for the whole story.

Finally have the car on its own 4 wheels!

Dropped it off to get the 1/4's patched back together before heading to the another friends shop to finish the roll cage and install the wheel tubs.

Picking it up - fastest I have ever had a bodyshop move! Only 4 weeks!

Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BigBlockSam

that looks tough! it's gonna look mean with the nose and wing on it  :cheers:

yea i've been gathering funds so i can finish mine too
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

tan top

:o  thats going to  be a mean looking ride  :yesnod: :drool5: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Hemi Runner

Looks good Scott! What body shop did you use?  I'm planning a 25.3 cage and I think I'm going right through the dash with the forward bars and will put them right up against the A pillars. What are you using for hood/fenders/nose/wing?

BPTRacing

Quote from: Hemi Runner on February 22, 2012, 06:56:31 AM
Looks good Scott! What body shop did you use?  I'm planning a 25.3 cage and I think I'm going right through the dash with the forward bars and will put them right up against the A pillars. What are you using for hood/fenders/nose/wing?

A friend of mine and his son run a "side line business" restoration shop, which is rapidly becoming a full time gig. They specialize in Mopars, but have been known to do a furd or olds occasionally.

My cage was also supposed to have the a-pillars through the dash. I even dropped off a usable windshield so the clearances could be set tight. The chassis man took certain liberties with the cage design which ultimately lead to the removal of the car from the shop before completion and the lost of a friendship. The front of the cage will now need to be cut out and replaced, and my "stock" front frame rails were hacked beyond use and will need replaced as well. I was hoping to keep the front of the car looking close enough to stock to run some of the "street" car classes.

I am now on a waiting list to get into the shop of another friend, who built both of my last two cars (as I wanted them). Here are some of his more current projects.

Jim Falbe has been building Mopar race cars in central IL for over 25 years. But again, it is a sideline business, so there is a waiting list. He retires as a welder for a nuclear power plant in 9 months, and hopes to make a full time go of the shop (providing his wife lets him work that much! LOL)

I purchased a body that already had steel coronet fenders, w/showcars nose and wing.

The showcars parts were of POOR quality and I sold them at swap meets. I now have Janek parts and am much happier. The fiberglass hood and trunk deck are from Glasstek, also very nice pieces. The steel fenders had been "homemade" and were not accurate enough for me to want to use, so I sold them with the nose and patched up another set of fenders. Since I extended the wheelbase on my car, the wheel openings on the fenders had to be moved forward. Now the motor sits back from the front suspension while maintaining a stock firewall. THe car now has a 120" wheelbase which should be quite stable at the speeds I hope to be running.

Iowa_gator

good to know about the showcar and glasstek pieces.  Was wanting to use a glasstek hood myself.

moparstuart

Quote from: Iowa_gator on February 22, 2012, 01:26:35 PM
good to know about the showcar and glasstek pieces.  Was wanting to use a glasstek hood myself.
it would be cool if they could form one with and air grabber set up

BPTRacing

Quote from: moparstuart on February 22, 2012, 01:53:30 PM

They will make one if you wanted to loan them one to copy. But it could take them several months to get around to making the copy.

Glasstek now has a "bolt on" 70 RR trunk deck thanks to me. They had a "pin-on", but I wanted a bolt-on for my GTX. (wanted to have an extra to bolt a go-wing to). So I took them a deck lid from my 4-dr car to make a mold from.

Glasstek also has front fenders for a bird, but I have not seen them.

moparstuart

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
Quote from: BPTRacing on February 22, 2012, 02:31:42 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on February 22, 2012, 01:53:30 PM

They will make one if you wanted to loan them one to copy. But it could take them several months to get around to making the copy.

Glasstek now has a "bolt on" 70 RR trunk deck thanks to me. They had a "pin-on", but I wanted a bolt-on for my GTX. (wanted to have an extra to bolt a go-wing to). So I took them a deck lid from my 4-dr car to make a mold from.

Glasstek also has front fenders for a bird, but I have not seen them.

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Hemi Runner

I have the Glasstek bolt on hood, and the fenders. The fenders are just coronet fenders. They're not modified for the superbird so I'll need to borrow a pair of steel lowers and copy them in glass. I should've got the bolt on deck lid and will do that.  I also have a Gean Gregory steel nose that's really nice and will most likely be buying his repop ALMAG wing. I want to keep the weight out of the car so a carbon fiber nose will be the ticket.

DonC1

Great work...lov the cage! I'll be doing the same. Glastek makes a nice hood. I have the molds for the S Bird AG hood. I like the Ramo bird steel hood setup the best...real simple.

BPTRacing

My last shop installed a few thing wrong, including the motor plate which is tilted so the transmission points to the top of the driveshaft loop. and there were a few tight spot where he used a MIG instead of a TIG, which is illegal for NHRA when using Chromemoly. So I paid $9000 for a cage (and rear end housing) that is not legal to run faster than 9.99.  :flame:

moparstuart

Quote from: BPTRacing on February 23, 2012, 08:58:42 AM
My last shop installed a few thing wrong, including the motor plate which is tilted so the transmission points to the top of the driveshaft loop. and there were a few tight spot where he used a MIG instead of a TIG, which is illegal for NHRA when using Chromemoly. So I paid $9000 for a cage (and rear end housing) that is not legal to run faster than 9.99.  :flame:

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: frustrating 

Hemi Runner

I ordered SFI specs 25.5 and 25.3 so even if I didn't do the work, I know what was correct. You got hosed at 9K pretty bad. I'm going to do it myself so I know its done right. I could buy my own bender and notcher and still not have 9K in it.  With the 25.3 spec and with retaining the steel floor pans, firewall and rear sheetmetal, you can elimate a bunch of bars.

hotrod98

The car's looking great. That's a lot of pipe.
I've gathered most of the stuff to build my new 70 Cuda drag car. It won't be as fast as your car so it won't have quite that much pipe. I hate to sell the dragster but that's the plan as soon as the cuda's finished. I can run more classes with the door car than with the dragster.
I'm looking forward to seeing your car completed.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Mikesmoparperformance

MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI