News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How come no one ever clones 500s?

Started by bull, September 29, 2005, 01:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

When people clone a rare Charger they always seem to clone Daytonas. The 500s aren't any less rare but no one clones them. How come? Seems like it's be a lot easier to put a Coronet grill in front rather than fooling around with the pointy nose and pop-up headlights. The hard part would be the rear window plug but you'd save $$$ on the wing too. Anyway, just wondering.

Charger Aficionado

hmmmmm...  interesting point.  I think the grille isn't very pretty...  Throw in some gills and it looks like a damn Shark.

Ghoste

Good question Bull.  I always found the 500 much more appealing than the Daytona.  I even think the grille is pretty.

wetfeetmi

My personal opinion is 500's are hidiously ugly. That is part of the appeal. I was thinking about cloning one when I finish my latest project. 

TruckDriver

Quote from: Ghoste on September 29, 2005, 04:04:32 AM
Good question Bull.   I always found the 500 much more appealing than the Daytona.   I even think the grille is pretty.
:iagree:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

MoparYoungGun

With all the people here doing Daytona clones, I started wondering the same thing myself. I think that both cars looks great, I would love to have either a 500 or Daytona clone, I just guess peoples personal preference is the Daytona :shruggy: .

41husk

I think the wing cars are more of an icon than the 500.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

PocketThunder

Quote from: dads_69 on September 29, 2005, 04:39:19 AM
I have two rear hatches and want to build won of them, either a Daytona clone or 500 to my current project, but I haven't located a 68' Corenet grille lately. I'd perfer a 500 myself, less cash to fork out overall plus I've never had won.
Mark

I saw a nice 68 Coronet Grille pass thru ebay a couple months ago.  I was gonna pick it up for a spare but mine is in great shape already.  If i see another one i'll grab in and swap you for one of those vega hatches..
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Badbob

The rear sail panels on the 2nd gen Chargers are one of their most distinguishing and attractive features. Hacking it up can only ruin the look. Same goes for the grill.

Bob

Old Moparz

Quote from: Badbob on September 29, 2005, 08:58:01 AM
The rear sail panels on the 2nd gen Chargers are one of their most distinguishing and attractive features. Hacking it up can only ruin the look. Same goes for the grill.

Bob

That's how I see it too, except I like the Daytona just as much as a base Charger body. The Coronet grille & the flush rear window don't do anything for me.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

cudaken

I respect the 500 for what it is, the first step to ruling NASCAR. With the trunk and slug being the hardes part why stop there?

Make mine winged.

Cuda Ken
I am back

6pkrunner

What's more recognizable and garners the most attention? Daytona. considering the amount of time and effort and parts to clone a car people usually go for the most attention grabbing. What's the ratio of Hemi cuda clones to 340 cuda clones? 383 cuda clones? People will go for the most attention gathering.

Orange_Crush

Once you've got the slug in there, you've taken care of the hardest part...might as well just go all the way.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

BigBlockSam

hi guys
i thik it's cause the wing  and nose is what makes a daytona clone so desireable. there a nice 500 grill on ebay right now. all you guys that have a vega plug and are thinking of installing it on a 2nd gen charger. think twice. i'm in the middle of mine now. it doesn't fit without modifyinng the sails. it is not just a drop in. lay the hatch on the back of your charger you'll see what i mean. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

So many decisions. Started thinking about the coronet grille...I like it, but I love the wing too. I've seriously considered the coronet grille, the daytona wing and fender scoops and leave the back glass alone. Chevy and Ford guys would never notice a thing. :icon_smile:
Would be the all around easiest of all of the combinations. I wouldn't even have to change to the 70 fenders and hood.
I have a perfect rust free vega plug that I will trade straight across for a nice grille setup. The problem is...how do you mount the headlamps? Anyone know?  Is the correct grille setup '68 or '69?
To top it all off, I need a set of those billet magnum 500's. You guys think I'm joking, don't you?
Trying to picture this setup in my head.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Arthu®

Personally I like the high speed road races, I would love to build a Charger for that, a Daytona just doesn't do it for me, would rather have a 500. But than again I even thought about taking a 70 Charger and putting a plugging the rear window. It does have a great benefit and it will still look more like a Charger, while I see the Daytona as a whole different car.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

71charger_fan

Because a regular Charger is much better looking. The features altered to make the 500s faster on the track were the same features that helped make the cars so beautiful. Aesthetically, I'd much rather have a stock roofline, stock grille than the 500's appearance.

Ghoste

hotrod98

Thanks,
I really thought that it was a 68 but have seen a couple of guys refer to it as a 69.

Charles Addams

Ghoste

The car, of course, was 69.  Maybe that was the part that was confusing them?

hotrod98

Ghoste,
I've seen the 500 grille hardware kit offered by one of the daytona suppliers. Not sure what the kit includes.
Any info on how the grille and headlamps are mounted would be appreciated.  I may just take my stock grille out and store it away and do the 500 thing. I love the 500 grille. It looks so clean.
My car is a real triple black R/T SE and I don't want to do anything that can't be reversed later. I've talked myself out of doing the back glass conversion...again.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

why don't you just restore the rt se there cool cars and it's a real one? pickup a roller and clone it. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

chargervert

My friend Mike,@Dayclona.com,repros the parts for the grille on the 500.He used my grille from my 500 to replicate them from.He makes the eight mounting brackets,and the two black painted metal pieces that go between the fenders and the grille.He also offers the rear window plug,for those who either need one to replace a rotted or damaged plug on an original car,or for those who would like to build an accurate clone.

Charger Aficionado

Whoever needs a Nice 500 Grille contact me. 

hotrod98

I have owned several '69 chargers over the years including two triple black R/T SE's (one matching numbers) but always wanted a daytona. If I sold all of my Mopars, I could probably afford one real nice one. That is if they could still be bought for $250,000 or less. The problem is, I love the variety of owning a lot of different cars.
I restore cars all year long for other people and only have so much time to work on my own. That's why the chal convert isn't put together. It's all painted and the new hemi and tranny are sitting there ready and I just can't find the time or energy to finish it. I got bored with it before it was completed. If I started restoring this R/T SE as an original car I would burn out long before it ever go put back together. I've had real nice stock chargers before. The only car that would keep my interest long enough to finish it is a daytona clone of some kind. And, my wife wants her superbird clone finished at some point in time. She's already tired of her cuda I think. That's the problem with getting old, we're not easily amused anymore. lol

Charles Addams