News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Most $ & optioned 69 4 speed Hemi Daytona

Started by nascarxx29, October 23, 2007, 06:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

Had this saved on my computer when it was sent to me.And at Million 500 hundred thousand probably most exspensive daytona .It was Dave J and Bill J old car.Wonder if it ever sold?

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

pettybird

it looked like a really cool car.  here are a couple pics from mopar nats '04:

nascarxx29

Thats the one of 2 hemi daytonas Dave J had .Long before that it was J Soneffs.And that car came from the same AZ dealership as the old Don Hicks black hemi 4 speed daytona

41husk

Oh its green!  I'm afraid thats a deal breaker, and I was just getting ready to reach for my check book :smilielol:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

that add was like 2 years ago  now it's worth  3 million according to the add  and yes it the most popular color dark green 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

moparstuart

hemigeno

Quote from: moparstuart on October 24, 2007, 01:11:57 PM
neither was being sarcastic    sorry

No worries, I only said something because my R/T is "supposed" to be F8 Green.  As you can see, it is anything but that color at the moment.  I keep telling my wife that F8 was considered a very stylish color back in 1969, and she points to the calendar as if to say "It ain't 1969."

moparstuart

i like the color of yours now      green was popular back then and a heck of alot of them where green
      and i know your a numbers guy     but I like it now and it will loook better next to the daytona  ha ha ha

69_500

Gene, your still trying to make it sound like you really want to paint your car F8 green. Come on you can be honest with us here, you want to leave it V2 right?  :nana:

hemigeno

You're right, I would prefer V2 even with the obvious "Yee Haw" connection.  However, at least right now I can blame a previoius owner for the color change.  That keeps the rabid numbers guys (lots of whom are way more dogmatic about things than I am) at bay.

There's something else to consider here though -- my wife hates F8 Green.  So, if I paint the car back F8, she'll be more likely to approve swapping out this one for a different car.  There is a guy from Canada that has an awesome R4 4-speed '69 HemiCharger which would look even better than my current R/T when parked next to the Daytona.  Been trying to talk him into selling that car to me for a couple of years now.  If that falls through, she might even go for upgrading to a second Daytona.  Guess I can't play the color card and then go after this F8 HemiDaytona then, eh?

moparstuart

gene's pulling a troy and trying to trade up
     wings are so addictive

Moparmatty

Quote from: hemigeno on October 24, 2007, 04:30:15 PM
You're right, I would prefer V2 even with the obvious "Yee Haw" connection.  However, at least right now I can blame a previoius owner for the color change.  That keeps the rabid numbers guys (lots of whom are way more dogmatic about things than I am) at bay.

There's something else to consider here though -- my wife hates F8 Green.  So, if I paint the car back F8, she'll be more likely to approve swapping out this one for a different car.  There is a guy from Canada that has an awesome R4 4-speed '69 HemiCharger which would look even better than my current R/T when parked next to the Daytona.  Been trying to talk him into selling that car to me for a couple of years now.  If that falls through, she might even go for upgrading to a second Daytona.  Guess I can't play the color card and then go after this F8 HemiDaytona then, eh?

Is the Canadian car you are talking about stripe delete and in Ontario Gene?

Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparstuart on October 24, 2007, 04:42:37 PM
  gene's pulling a troy and trying to trade up
     wings are so addictive

Thanks no lie......  Especially when my last name is Hawkes.... get it? Wings = Hawkes..  Sorry, couldn't resist.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

Quote from: Moparmatty on October 24, 2007, 05:28:18 PM

It's not the same car -- maybe I should be asking you where the one in Ontario is...   :icon_smile_big:

moparchris

Here's more obscure history that no one cares about.  The green Hemi Daytona was originally owned by an English teacher at my old high school in Scottsdale Az.  At the time the car had a 70 charger front end on it and a dealer installed white top.  Since there was no air and its REALLY HOT here, the white top was probably installed to help the interior stay a little cooler.  She sold the car the year before I started high school ('77)  to a local politician.  He died unexpectedly in his early 40's from a heart attack.  The car then went to Jay S. up in Denver.

hemigeno

Quote from: moparchris on October 25, 2007, 01:48:47 PM
Here's more obscure history that no one cares about.  The green Hemi Daytona was originally owned by an English teacher at my old high school in Scottsdale Az.  At the time the car had a 70 charger front end on it and a dealer installed white top.  Since there was no air and its REALLY HOT here, the white top was probably installed to help the interior stay a little cooler.  She sold the car the year before I started high school ('77)  to a local politician.  He died unexpectedly in his early 40's from a heart attack.  The car then went to Jay S. up in Denver.

Gotta be this car then:

abebummy26

Geno you know what else the V2 goes with?                                                                           

The truck lol  :yesnod: :nana:

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

moparstuart

69_500

If your refering to Gene's truck then V2 doesn't go with it. As the truck is painted R4 red.

Hey now Gene you can't go talking all crazy like and saying you want 2 wing cars. Leave some out there for me and Troy.

moparstuart

two's ok  but those horders with three and 4 that need to stop ha ha ha I know several

abebummy26

I know its a different color but it still looks good on the truck :yesnod:  :2thumbs: I have seen the truck in person, but I have not seen the charger but he told me they were different colors at the time.

69_500

I guess I shouldn't say much due to family ties. heck when I was 10 I thought everyone had a yard full of wing cars. If a person didn't have at least 4 we didn't go visit them.

hemigeno

Quote from: moparstuart on October 25, 2007, 04:17:25 PM
race the truck geno  race the truck

:smilielol:

I'll take on Dale Jarrett and the UPS truck anytime...   :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: 69_500 on October 25, 2007, 04:29:06 PM
Hey now Gene you can't go talking all crazy like and saying you want 2 wing cars. Leave some out there for me and Troy.

Have no fear, that's not very likely to happen.  I'd have to:
1.  Get done with the Daytona restoration 
2.  Recover from that financial drain 
3.  Spend a commensurate amount on things that my wife & rest of the family have an interest in
4.  Actually start a restoration on the R/T
5.  Have the car in F8 trim around long enough that my wife would get tired of looking at it
6.  Lobby for the winged upgrade
7.  Find either an outright buyer for the R/T or someone who wanted to work out a partial trade for a 2nd Daytona

Not a very likely scenario, and the odds pale in comparison to those of Troy's or yours.  It never hurts to dream though, does it?

Quote from: abebummy26 on October 25, 2007, 03:06:03 PM
Geno you know what else the V2 goes with?

The truck lol :yesnod: :nana:

Lincoln, the two colors (R4 & V2) go together better than R6 and V2 would...  The truck's original color was much closer to R6 than R4 (it might have even been a little darker than R6), but I wanted the truck to match the Daytona.  If I'd have painted the truck V2, everyone would have assumed it was an old Highway Department truck!  Now that we have taken this thread WAY off course... 

A 4-speed HemiDaytona looks good in any color IMHO.

nascarxx29

The green hemi daytona earliest owner was a Pat Harper

learical1

Quote from: nascarxx29 on October 25, 2007, 05:17:01 PM
The green hemi daytona earliest owner was a Pat Harper

Yes, that's Pat Harper's Daytona, and the pictures were taken in my driveway.  My next door neighbor was a Corvair fanatic, and if you look carefully in the background, you'll see several Corvairs.  (my brother actually bought a turbo corvair from the guy, but wound up selling it back.) :hah:  Pat was a photographer, and he did run for Congress on the Libertarian ticket.  Pat died of a brain aneurysm, not a heart attack.
Bruce

learical1

The same day those pictures were taken, we (Jim R, Joe M, Pat Harper, my brother, me and a couple other guys who drove over from California) drove around Phoenix to all the Aero Cars that us locals knew about.  One was a 500, brown with a vinyl roof, 440 auto and air.  This would have been 1975, maybe 1976. 
Bruce

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on October 25, 2007, 04:34:36 PM
two's ok  but those horders with three and 4 that need to stop ha ha ha I know several

BOOYAH

Moparmatty

Quote from: hemigeno on October 25, 2007, 11:56:55 AM
Quote from: Moparmatty on October 24, 2007, 05:28:18 PM

It's not the same car -- maybe I should be asking you where the one in Ontario is...   :icon_smile_big:

Glad to hear it's not the same car.  LOL!!!!!!  I think you'd have to pry the keys to the car I'm talking about from the owner's cold dead hands.  It is a truely beautiful car.

Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on October 25, 2007, 08:22:21 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on October 25, 2007, 04:34:36 PM

BOOYAH
you horder you

moparchris

Bruce,
Am I correct then that Pat purchased the car from the English teacher at my old high school?  My friends who graduated before I got there were adamant that that Daytona resided in the faculty parking lot in the early to mid 70's.

learical1

Quote from: moparchris on October 26, 2007, 12:21:06 PM
Bruce,
Am I correct then that Pat purchased the car from the English teacher at my old high school?  My friends who graduated before I got there were adamant that that Daytona resided in the faculty parking lot in the early to mid 70's.

Unlikely.  When I first met Pat Harper, he owned the Daytona. That would have been 1975 or 1976.  I remember looking at the car before Pat bought it, some guy in his early '20's owned (and drag raced) it; this was before I bought my first SuperBird in 1974.  I didn't have the money to buy a nose, so I passed on it.   :brickwall:

Bruce

69_500

Even then it wasn't cheap to find a nose cone. I know my dad paid almost as much for a spare nose cone in 1982 as he did for an entired Daytona.

nascarxx29

Somewhere in the mid 80-s I found a NOS daytona nose cone $3000.00.  ;DHeres the number

moparchris

Bruce,
The history of this Daytona is starting to baffle me.  The guys that went to my school before me are car guys and at a later date owned (among other cars) a 71 Hemi cuda convertable.  They described this Daytona to a tee.  Dark green, white top, black wing as sitting in the faculty parking lot.  Obviously there were not two green hemi Daytona's with no nose running around the valley in the early-mid 70's.  Was Pat Harper married?  Perhaps his wife drove the car from time to time?

learical1

Don't think he was married.  Girlfriend maybe? :shruggy:
Bruce

learical1

BTW, everybody, sorry about the hijack of the thread. :'(
Bruce

nascarxx29

No problem whatsoever we  welcome collaberating facts on a car in subject

69_500

This is far from a hijack. As far as I can tell you two are talking about the same car, not definate but odds are. I mean how many green HEMI Daytona's were in that area at the time that were minus a nose cone?

hemi-hampton

Wonder what it's worth now with this bad economy? LEON. :scratchchin:

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: moparchris on October 26, 2007, 12:21:06 PM
Bruce,
Am I correct then that Pat purchased the car from the English teacher at my old high school?  My friends who graduated before I got there were adamant that that Daytona resided in the faculty parking lot in the early to mid 70's.
Here is a pic of it when Bruce Lear took my dad (Joe Machado) and Jim Radke and a few others to see it..  There is the Corvair that Bruce really wants... :nana:
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

C5X DAYTONA

This is also the same IRS car that was seized from Phil Jackson a while back.  There is another thread about the story. 

Dave Kanofsky

Do I spy a '66 / '67 Coronet wagon in the background?

:thumbs:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

hemigeno

This is probably just an optical illusion, but does that wing look to be painted F8 Green in Sean's last picture rather than black?

Ghoste

moparstuart

learical1

I grew up in a house at the end of a culdesac.  My neighbor 2 doors down did have a mid 60's mopar wagon.  My next door neighbor had more Corvairs than my brother and I had Mopars.  Good thing we had large yards back then!  I do recall the wing on Pat Harper's car being body colored instead of black (I see the wing and stripe are white now).  The guy who owned it before Pat bought it told me that the wing was there to prevent anybody from drafting off the Daytona.  But when he drove it without the wing, he noticed a difference above 80MPH. 
Bruce

hemigeno

Quote from: moparstuart on July 19, 2010, 10:15:14 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on July 19, 2010, 09:45:16 AM
It does appear so doesn't it?
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:    black stripe but green wing

Alright, if that's the case, here's some more grist for the mill...

If you look at the black stripe, it appears to have been installed too close to the rear valance corner seam for how Creative Industries normally installed the stripe.  Add to that the fact that the reflector bezels also appear to be green - and you have to wonder if the car could have been one of the very few which may have come from Creative Industries without a Daytona stripe and with a body-colored wing.

Now, before the thought police swoops in to drop the hammer on me, let me add that it's VERY apparent that significant body work has been done to the car.  After all, we know (I'm convinced even if others aren't) it didn't roll out of Creative Industries with a '70 Charger front clip OR the vinyl top.  Perhaps without DayOne photos it may be hard to prove/disprove this, but it's food for thought anyway.

:scratchchin:

69_500

Was this car also missing the emblem in the middle of the tail panel as well. I don't see a Charger emblem in there at all.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: learical1 on July 19, 2010, 11:04:38 AM
I grew up in a house at the end of a culdesac.  My neighbor 2 doors down did have a mid 60's mopar wagon.  My next door neighbor had more Corvairs than my brother and I had Mopars.  Good thing we had large yards back then!  I do recall the wing on Pat Harper's car being body colored instead of black (I see the wing and stripe are white now).  The guy who owned it before Pat bought it told me that the wing was there to prevent anybody from drafting off the Daytona.  But when he drove it without the wing, he noticed a difference above 80MPH. 

500 ft/lbs of downforce will do that :scratchchin:

hemi-hampton

Quote from: hemigeno on July 19, 2010, 11:09:03 AM

If you look at the black stripe, it appears to have been installed too close to the rear valance corner seam for how Creative Industries normally installed the stripe.  Add to that the fact that the reflector bezels also appear to be green - and you have to wonder if the car could have been one of the very few which may have come from Creative Industries without a Daytona stripe and with a body-colored wing.

Now, before the thought police swoops in to drop the hammer on me, let me add that it's VERY apparent that significant body work has been done to the car.  After all, we know (I'm convinced even if others aren't) it didn't roll out of Creative Industries with a '70 Charger front clip OR the vinyl top.  Perhaps without DayOne photos it may be hard to prove/disprove this, but it's food for thought anyway.

Many dealerships would convert these Daytona's & Superbirds to regular looking Chargers or Roadrunners to try to sell at end of year if nobody bought them. Back then they were ugly & hard to sell. LEON.

Ghoste

That's become a common tale for sure but does anyone REALLY of many instances where that took place?  By really know, I mean that there is hard evidence not just anecdotal?  Especially in the case of Daytonas?

C5X DAYTONA

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   black stripe but green wing

If you look at the black stripe, it appears to have been installed too close to the rear valance corner seam for how Creative Industries normally installed the stripe. ADD to that the fact that the reflector bezels also appear to be green - and you have to wonder if the car could have been one of the very few which may have come from Creative Industries without a Daytona stripe and with a declared wing.

Now, before the thought police swoops in to drop the hammer on me, let me add that it's VERY apparent that significant body work has been done to the car. After all, we know (I'm convinced even if others aren't) it didn't roll out of Creative Industries with a '70 Charger front clip OR the vinyl top. Perhaps without DayOne photos it may be hard to prove/disprove this, but it's food for thought anyway.

The nose of the Daytona was knocked off at an intersection.  That is what Pat told everyone.  Is that correct Bruce?  That is what my dad told me.

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 19, 2010, 06:49:58 PM

Many dealerships would convert these Daytona's & Superbirds to regular looking Chargers or Roadrunners to try to sell at end of year if nobody bought them. Back then they were ugly & hard to sell. LEON.
I don't know of any Daytona's that were converted to sell as new cars.   There was a few Superbirds that I know of.   Daytona's hit the Dealers after the 70 Charger came out.  In fact, all of them except the first one.

learical1

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on July 20, 2010, 02:22:53 AM
The nose of the Daytona was knocked off at an intersection.  That is what Pat told everyone.  Is that correct Bruce?  That is what my dad told me.
Can you say "Right turn on red"?  Pulled out a little too far.  That's what the guy who owned it before Pat Harper said. 
Bruce

nascarxx29

Got Jan MGC .They did a few pages on this car.And its past and present owners.But didnt mention the IRS seizure and return of the daytona

1969chargerrtse

"Many dealerships would convert these Daytona's & Superbirds to regular looking Chargers or Roadrunners to try to sell at end of year if nobody bought them. Back then they were ugly & hard to sell. LEON."

Not to be a wise guy, I love the look of the Aero cars but not one friend of mine does.  They all think it's the ugliest thing that rolls down the road.  And this is now time.  So not much has changed. :-\

I even have one friend that has told me if I was to sell my car for a Daytona he wouldn't talk to me anymore.  :rofl:

Also about the green comments ( I don't care for green either ) back in the day almost all the 69 chargers in my area were green on green on green.  :eek2: ( sorry green owners ).  :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 25, 2010, 08:49:40 AM
"Many dealerships would convert these Daytona's & Superbirds to regular looking Chargers or Roadrunners to try to sell at end of year if nobody bought them. Back then they were ugly & hard to sell. LEON."

Not to be a wise guy, I love the look of the Aero cars but not one friend of mine does.  They all think it's the ugliest thing that rolls down the road.  And this is now time.  So not much has changed. :-\

I even have one friend that has told me if I was to sell my car for a Daytona he wouldn't talk to me anymore.  :rofl:

Also about the green comments ( I don't care for green either ) back in the day almost all the 69 chargers in my area were green on green on green.  :eek2: ( sorry green owners ).  :icon_smile_big:

You should of asked Santa for some new friends!   :lol:

C5X DAYTONA

Agree.     I also never have known of a Daytona converted to a Charger as a new car to sell..     Only a couple birds were converted and the story gets blown out..  Had to do more with not being able to insure than nobody want them..     

nascarxx29

I never seen of or heard of a dealer converted daytona.Just superbirds .The MCG story made no mention of another owner of this car.Bill Jurevich Hollister CA