News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Most $ & optioned 69 4 speed Hemi Daytona

Started by nascarxx29, October 23, 2007, 06:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Was this car also missing the emblem in the middle of the tail panel as well. I don't see a Charger emblem in there at all.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: learical1 on July 19, 2010, 11:04:38 AM
I grew up in a house at the end of a culdesac.  My neighbor 2 doors down did have a mid 60's mopar wagon.  My next door neighbor had more Corvairs than my brother and I had Mopars.  Good thing we had large yards back then!  I do recall the wing on Pat Harper's car being body colored instead of black (I see the wing and stripe are white now).  The guy who owned it before Pat bought it told me that the wing was there to prevent anybody from drafting off the Daytona.  But when he drove it without the wing, he noticed a difference above 80MPH. 

500 ft/lbs of downforce will do that :scratchchin:

hemi-hampton

Quote from: hemigeno on July 19, 2010, 11:09:03 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on July 19, 2010, 10:15:14 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on July 19, 2010, 09:45:16 AM
It does appear so doesn't it?
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:    black stripe but green wing

Alright, if that's the case, here's some more grist for the mill...

If you look at the black stripe, it appears to have been installed too close to the rear valance corner seam for how Creative Industries normally installed the stripe.  Add to that the fact that the reflector bezels also appear to be green - and you have to wonder if the car could have been one of the very few which may have come from Creative Industries without a Daytona stripe and with a body-colored wing.

Now, before the thought police swoops in to drop the hammer on me, let me add that it's VERY apparent that significant body work has been done to the car.  After all, we know (I'm convinced even if others aren't) it didn't roll out of Creative Industries with a '70 Charger front clip OR the vinyl top.  Perhaps without DayOne photos it may be hard to prove/disprove this, but it's food for thought anyway.

:scratchchin:
Many dealerships would convert these Daytona's & Superbirds to regular looking Chargers or Roadrunners to try to sell at end of year if nobody bought them. Back then they were ugly & hard to sell. LEON.

Ghoste

That's become a common tale for sure but does anyone REALLY of many instances where that took place?  By really know, I mean that there is hard evidence not just anecdotal?  Especially in the case of Daytonas?

C5X DAYTONA

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   black stripe but green wing

If you look at the black stripe, it appears to have been installed too close to the rear valance corner seam for how Creative Industries normally installed the stripe. ADD to that the fact that the reflector bezels also appear to be green - and you have to wonder if the car could have been one of the very few which may have come from Creative Industries without a Daytona stripe and with a declared wing.

Now, before the thought police swoops in to drop the hammer on me, let me add that it's VERY apparent that significant body work has been done to the car. After all, we know (I'm convinced even if others aren't) it didn't roll out of Creative Industries with a '70 Charger front clip OR the vinyl top. Perhaps without DayOne photos it may be hard to prove/disprove this, but it's food for thought anyway.

The nose of the Daytona was knocked off at an intersection.  That is what Pat told everyone.  Is that correct Bruce?  That is what my dad told me.
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: hemi-hampton on July 19, 2010, 06:49:58 PM
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:    black stripe but green wing

If you look at the black stripe, it appears to have been installed too close to the rear valance corner seam for how Creative Industries normally installed the stripe.  Add to that the fact that the reflector bezels also appear to be green - and you have to wonder if the car could have been one of the very few which may have come from Creative Industries without a Daytona stripe and with a body-colored wing.

Now, before the thought police swoops in to drop the hammer on me, let me add that it's VERY apparent that significant body work has been done to the car.  After all, we know (I'm convinced even if others aren't) it didn't roll out of Creative Industries with a '70 Charger front clip OR the vinyl top.  Perhaps without DayOne photos it may be hard to prove/disprove this, but it's food for thought anyway.

Many dealerships would convert these Daytona's & Superbirds to regular looking Chargers or Roadrunners to try to sell at end of year if nobody bought them. Back then they were ugly & hard to sell. LEON.
I don't know of any Daytona's that were converted to sell as new cars.   There was a few Superbirds that I know of.   Daytona's hit the Dealers after the 70 Charger came out.  In fact, all of them except the first one.

learical1

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on July 20, 2010, 02:22:53 AM
The nose of the Daytona was knocked off at an intersection.  That is what Pat told everyone.  Is that correct Bruce?  That is what my dad told me.
Can you say "Right turn on red"?  Pulled out a little too far.  That's what the guy who owned it before Pat Harper said. 
Bruce

nascarxx29

Got Jan MGC .They did a few pages on this car.And its past and present owners.But didnt mention the IRS seizure and return of the daytona
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

1969chargerrtse

"Many dealerships would convert these Daytona's & Superbirds to regular looking Chargers or Roadrunners to try to sell at end of year if nobody bought them. Back then they were ugly & hard to sell. LEON."

Not to be a wise guy, I love the look of the Aero cars but not one friend of mine does.  They all think it's the ugliest thing that rolls down the road.  And this is now time.  So not much has changed. :-\

I even have one friend that has told me if I was to sell my car for a Daytona he wouldn't talk to me anymore.  :rofl:

Also about the green comments ( I don't care for green either ) back in the day almost all the 69 chargers in my area were green on green on green.  :eek2: ( sorry green owners ).  :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on December 25, 2010, 08:49:40 AM
"Many dealerships would convert these Daytona's & Superbirds to regular looking Chargers or Roadrunners to try to sell at end of year if nobody bought them. Back then they were ugly & hard to sell. LEON."

Not to be a wise guy, I love the look of the Aero cars but not one friend of mine does.  They all think it's the ugliest thing that rolls down the road.  And this is now time.  So not much has changed. :-\

I even have one friend that has told me if I was to sell my car for a Daytona he wouldn't talk to me anymore.  :rofl:

Also about the green comments ( I don't care for green either ) back in the day almost all the 69 chargers in my area were green on green on green.  :eek2: ( sorry green owners ).  :icon_smile_big:

You should of asked Santa for some new friends!   :lol:

C5X DAYTONA

Agree.     I also never have known of a Daytona converted to a Charger as a new car to sell..     Only a couple birds were converted and the story gets blown out..  Had to do more with not being able to insure than nobody want them..     

nascarxx29

I never seen of or heard of a dealer converted daytona.Just superbirds .The MCG story made no mention of another owner of this car.Bill Jurevich Hollister CA
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701