News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power or manual brakes?

Started by professor-patrick, September 29, 2005, 07:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

professor-patrick

I've got a 69 charger with power brakes.  I've installed a new master cylinder, new wheel cylinders, new brakes shoes, new brake lines - everything except for the power booster.  I have very little brake - both feet all the way down is just starting to slow down.  What am I missing?  Do power boosters go bad, and does this sound like a symptom?  Thanks.
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Lead Designer - Scotlea Hot Rods
www.scotlea.com

Brock Samson

yeah the master cylinders will lose pressure if they sit too long... like 15 years.. LOL!. Time for a rebuild..   :yesnod:
see the next thread..BTW: mine's sat for six-mos. and it's due...

Plumcrazy

Make sure the brake shoes are adjusted properly and you have bled the system completely

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Chryco Psycho

did you bench bleed the master before installing it ?

professor-patrick

I've installed a new master cylinder - I did bench bleed it, replaced all the wheel cylinders, bled all brakes, new brake shoes, adjusted them all correctly - the only thing I haven't touched is the power booster.
Dr. Patrick Hagerman
Lead Designer - Scotlea Hot Rods
www.scotlea.com

Chryco Psycho

the pushrod between the booster & master is adjustable & may be too short

Steve P.

Sounds like air in the lines to me..

Oh waiter,,, More bleeding please....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

Maybe the diaphragms in your booster are bad.

jgbailey57

is it a hard pedal up at the top or is the pedal mushy and goes to the floor?   mine is a hard pedal and i can put both feet on it and when it's at an idle in gear the car will still move.   of course i don't drive it this way, but i almost hit the car in front of me when i pulled it into the garage because it wouldn't stop.  mine has power disc brakes.
'69 Charger R/T patiently waiting in line to be restored... NOT WAITING ANYMORE!!!

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Tom_440

If the pedal is firm, and doesn't go to the floor, but it takes 2 feet to stop, the booster is likely your problem.  Also, if you have inadequate vacuum to the booster, it will have the same effect.

Ghoste

Does the pedal feel exactly the same whether the engine is running or not?  How about if the vacuum line to the booster is disconnected (and plugged), does it feel any different?  Try hooking a vacuum pump up to the booster and pump it up a little and just leave it for a bit and see if the vacuum holds.