News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody got a junk '70 Charger hood ? UPDATE! I FIXED IT! NOW WITH PICS

Started by Daytona R/T SE, October 27, 2007, 05:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

I've given up trying to find a rust free AND straight '70 Charger hood. The one I have is nice and straight, but a family of mice decided they needed to build their home inside the front cross piece where the latch bolts on... Well, you guessed it ! 37 years of mouse piss has eaten away at this area of the inner structure.

If someone has a hood that has been hacked up for a scoop, butchered for a blower or whatever, as long as the front crossmember area isn't rusted I'd like to buy the front 22 inches or so of it so I can repair the hood I have...

I'd buy an entire hacked-up hood too,if it's close enough to me to pick it up, but would like to buy only part of it if it has to be shipped.

I'd still buy a nice, straight rust free hood, if I can find one, but I don't want to drive 3000 + miles to get it.

I'm in southern Illinois.

Anybody  :shruggy: :icon_smile_big:

hemigeno

Chris,

Have you checked with David Patik recently?  He did have two full '70 Charger front clips for sale @ $975 each.  He also had two full rear halves from '70 Chargers listed for $1975 each (you probably don't need them but someone else might). They were in a storage building for over 25 years up near Cedar Rapids, which wouldn't be too bad of a haul for you.  He mentioned that he still had the clips about a month ago, but it could be that he has sold them since then.

Just a thought...

:cheers:

nascarxx29

I had 2 decent 70 charger hoods 1 went for a friends daytona .Other 1 was picked up by a [MR ANGRY] Mike M whos building a daytona.There are some out to be found my neighbor has 70 hood fenders etc in his basement.But shipping costd from east coast to far parts unknown$

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

BigBlockSam

i gotta look, i have a crappy hood but i don't know if the piece you need is any good . I'll check tomorrow. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hemigeno on October 27, 2007, 05:22:48 PM
Chris,

Have you checked with David Patik recently?  He did have two full '70 Charger front clips for sale @ $975 each.  He also had two full rear halves from '70 Chargers listed for $1975 each (you probably don't need them but someone else might). They were in a storage building for over 25 years up near Cedar Rapids, which wouldn't be too bad of a haul for you.  He mentioned that he still had the clips about a month ago, but it could be that he has sold them since then.

Just a thought...

:cheers:

Gene, I remember seeing Dave's ad in the WW newsletter.  I was under the impression that the front clips were core support, inner fenders, frame rails, part of the cowl, etc. I didn't think the ad mentioned any outer sheet metal....I'll have to dig out the newsletter and give it another look....Thanks for the tip...

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 27, 2007, 07:22:52 PM
i gotta look, i have a crappy hood but i don't know if the piece you need is any good . I'll check tomorrow. Rene

I'd appreciate it, Rene.  This area is commonly rusted out, from what I've seen on other '70 hoods I've looked at.

Damned mice  :brickwall:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: nascarxx29 on October 27, 2007, 06:19:04 PM
I had 2 decent 70 charger hoods 1 went for a friends daytona .Other 1 was picked up by a [MR ANGRY] Mike M whos building a daytona.There are some out to be found my neighbor has 70 hood fenders etc in his basement.But shipping costd from east coast to far parts unknown$

Thanks, XX  But that trip would be something like 1500 miles one way wouldn't it?  That's a lot of diesel to burn ::)

I'm not THAT desperate....YET !

PocketThunder

Is this inner structure the same as a 68~69 hood?  If so i got a spare you can have .  I'm guessing its not though.

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: PocketThunder on October 27, 2007, 08:09:14 PM
Is this inner structure the same as a 68~69 hood?  If so i got a spare you can have .  I'm guessing its not though.

Paul
in St. Paul

It's different, I looked already ::)

Daytona R/T SE

Well the search for a hood is over. I fixed the rust on the one I have. F&*king mice  :brickwall: 

Here's a couple of before and afters:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

pettybird

Wow that was a ton worse than the one I have laying around...(which is good because I need one...)

good job!

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

daytonalo

why no pics midway through work ? I'm sure members would like to see how you did that ! I guess you used a cutoff wheel , and butt welded patches in , and then ground the welds .

Larry

PocketThunder

Quote from: daytonalo on November 13, 2007, 07:44:35 AM
why no pics midway through work ? I'm sure members would like to see how you did that ! I guess you used a cutoff wheel , and butt welded patches in , and then ground the welds .

Larry

Looks like lead to me from here.   :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

hemigeno

pettybird

hotrod98

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: daytonalo on November 13, 2007, 07:44:35 AM

I guess you used a cutoff wheel , and butt welded patches in , and then ground the welds .

Larry

You're absolutely right, Larry !  But it wouldn't be a before and after shot if I included some pics midway through the process...would it ???

Well...Ok, Here you go. Just for you, Larry!

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on November 13, 2007, 01:40:50 AM
mice did that?

Yep ! Mice build their nests inside the structures of cars, then they start pissing in there. Wet nests soaked in piss over the years...Rusts the metal out BAD !

daytonalo

It appears you used a Plasma cutter and Hydrofluoric acid ? You do nice work cupcake !!!! :icon_smile_big:

BigBlockSam

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: daytonalo on November 13, 2007, 06:47:53 PM
It appears you used a Plasma cutter and Hydrofluoric acid ? You do nice work cupcake !!!! :icon_smile_big:

He calls me "Cupcake"  ::) :smilielol: