News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to Straighten the Radiator Support

Started by zerfetzen, October 28, 2007, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerfetzen

I see so many on here that look pristine, and mine, uh, isn't.  I don't know much about body work, so at first I thought I'd try taking a hammer to it, but I'm more afraid of making it worse without a real plan to it.  So here I am.  How would you do it?

Top to bottom is ok, but the top several inches lean into the engine bay when it shouldn't, and the top- and bottom-most cross rails are not straight.  The attached pic shows the top rail.  Thanks for any suggestions.
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

BlueSS454

You'll need a couple different tools to do this.  Mine was bent up a bit also.  I used a hammer & dolly, a whizzer wheel, a pair of duck bill vise grips, and some patience.  You're more than likely going ot have to cut a slit in the area that is bent down and creased to relieve the stress of the stretched metal, and just slowly work one area at a time back into place.  Any area that you are going to take a hammer to, make sure you put a flat backed dolly behind it so you don't stretch it even worse.
Tom Rightler

zerfetzen

Thanks BlueSS454, the radiator support has the original numbers stamped in, so I don't want to replace it with AutoMetalDirect's piece if and when they release it, even though this is only an XP car.  I'll work it with patience.

BlueSS454

I wish I had some before and after pics of mine to show you, but mine took me about 3-4 hours to straighten out.  It's not perfect, but about 99% better than what it was and you can't tell I did anything to it.
Tom Rightler

Todd Wilson

Another way to look at it is its screwed up right now. Cant hurt it any. Get in there and try and fix it. Use what ever you can find that will help.  As Blue said  hammers and dolys and vise grips. Pieces of metal to back up what you are tapping or hammering on.  Use what ever you can find. If its a shape and you need that shape to help mold it back into its original shape then use it!!!!

Todd

zerfetzen

Thanks Todd, sounds good, I'll get creative  :hack: