News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have shaved handles? Door pop kits

Started by kylem4711, October 29, 2007, 12:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylem4711

Since the previous owner to my car did some weird things to it, see picture

i am going to shave my door and get one of those door pop kits.

do any of you guys know about them?   

any suggestions where to buy one?

i am trying to do some research on the kits, but its a little hard.

anything would be helpful.
thanks guys and gals
1970 dodge charger rt 440 4-speed
1973 plymouth barracuda 4-speed

Ghoste

Just make sure you put a mechanical backup system (a hidden cable) on it someplace.  You'd be surprised how many cars I come across that only have the electric system to open their doors.

onebadmopar

i put a set of them on a mustang i had easy install  and worked well in warm weather cooler weather tho they were tough make sure you put a hidden cable release in also or carry a coat hanger in youre back pocket lol

chargerman68

Quote from: Ghoste on October 29, 2007, 03:58:03 AM
Just make sure you put a mechanical backup system (a hidden cable) on it someplace.  You'd be surprised how many cars I come across that only have the electric system to open their doors.

:lol:

that would suck
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

kylem4711

Quote from: onebadmopar on October 29, 2007, 10:49:32 AM
i put a set of them on a mustang i had easy install  and worked well in warm weather cooler weather tho they were tough make sure you put a hidden cable release in also or carry a coat hanger in youre back pocket lol

ha, thats funny,

where did you get the kit from?

how much was it approx? 

and how come its tougher when its cooler weather?

Hemidog

kylem4711:
send a PM to NorwayCharger, he shaved his doors and installed door poppers on his 68.

kylem4711

Quote from: Hemidog on October 29, 2007, 04:07:00 PM
kylem4711:
send a PM to NorwayCharger, he shaved his doors and installed door poppers on his 68.

thanks,

you can call me kyle  :2thumbs:

Hemidog

NorwayCharger

Hi.
I got this kit from Summit http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ELI%2D99800&N=700+4294848549+400173+115&autoview=sku

Good quality, and easy to install.
If you adjust your doors and have the hinges in good condition you don´t need poppers.
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

kab69440

I shaved off the hideous stock doorhandles and relocated an alternate pair to the top of the quarter just behind the doorjamb. I mated the GP doorhandles to a pair of G-body fuel door release cables and routed them through the rockers, up the pillars and into the doors. I'd like to keep the keylock, but still don't know where to put it. I don't like where it's at, but there's nowhere else to move it to.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

nh_mopar_fan

Hemidog

hey kab69440, what's up with that sailpanel and squared flush rear window? 80's mods?

Xtreme Machines

Someone needs to call the Dodge Charger DHR and see if we can get it took away from him, clearly a case of abuse.  :hah: :shruggy:

kab69440

Quote from: Hemidog on October 30, 2007, 11:57:35 AM
hey kab69440, what's up with that sailpanel and squared flush rear window? 80's mods?

Long story short... My backlight blew out of the car and took most of the rotten casement with it one night many, many moons ago. Not having
acquired the skill to fabricate a new one, I did the only thing I could think of to keep the car driveable in the fast approaching fall. I scavenged a chunk of glass that would fit between the sail panels and slapped it in there. As for the sail panels, if you've ever seen what happens to that area on a high RPM launch with a good hook, no further explanation should be necessary. Besides, I have always thought it should look that way. So,now it does.
  As for removing the car from my custody, I have been "abusing" this car for longer than most of the board has known what a Charger is. I do whatever is required to acheive my desired result and don't particularly care who doesn't like it. Stock sucks. Nothing has ever left a factory "good enough". End of discussion.
  And yes, nh_mopar_fan...the stock doorhandles are,in fact, hideous. Not to mention generic looking, since trucks and vans were still wearing them into the early 90's.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Moparsky67

Here is a company, Watson's Streetworks, that makes stuff for the streetrod crowd, check their link below. They have lots of cool stuff. A buddy added the MagTech magnet entry sysytem to his rod & now he passes the magnet on his keychain over it & his driver's window rolls down (door handle shaved off & you have to have pwr windows for that one to work) the sensor can be hidden behind any non-magnetic surface, even body filler. Comes with a backup button you can place, say in your truck or elsewhere.
       :coolgleamA: Yes, whatever you do as the others guys have said, provide a manual backup cable to pop the door inc ase your battery is dead.

http://watsons-streetworks.com/holeshot_door_solenoids.html

moparsons

kab69440 , I really...really like what you've done with the door handles. I do however, love the recessed rear windsheild. But...like you said, it's YOUR car. I would't say that stock sucks on a second gen charger, but I like to see people making these cars there own. :2thumbs:  How much fun would this hobby be if every charger was identical? :icon_smile_wink:

kab69440

Yeah. The flying buttress is beautiful indeed.The only problem is when something happens to it and you can't find parts to fix it. Even back in 1986-87 these cars were extremely rare in junkyards. Sometimes you just have to make do with what is to hand. I don't believe most of the people on this board realize how fortunate they are to have such a plethora of reproduction sheetmetal to choose from. My car also still carries a hand-fabbed trunk floor done in Metal Shop my sophomore year in high school. Back then I would have killed for the 2 piece deal that is available today.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny