News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Chargers, dual snorkel, No wrinkle paint? Ca cars only?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, November 01, 2007, 12:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I was reading about a car on ebay  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250180361728#description  If you read about what people asked about, one thing is about the air cleaner.  My car is from CA also.  Is it true that my aircleaner should be semi flat black and not with the wrinkle finish?  Also CA aircleaners were this dual snorkel type only? Thanks, Rob.  Please don't comment on all that is wrong with what's in the picture.  The motor has been replaced and detail time is here (per the question)  Oh one last question.  Wiper motors, I see them all different ways?  Painted, not?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

y3chargerrt

You have a 70 and up air cleaner. The picture shows the correct one. My Charger is a california car but only know this because of the noise reduction package code on the broadcast sheet. I had Dave's Totally auto restore mine and they did it in satin black power coat.I called and they said they were satin and not wrinkle black.

69_500

As far as the windshield wiper motor is concerned, it appears that your car has a 2 speed wiper motor, not sure if that is what you car came with or not. However if it did, then it does need to be painted black. If its supposed to be a 3 speed unit, then the picture by y3 is correct.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69_500 on November 01, 2007, 04:30:38 PM
As far as the windshield wiper motor is concerned, it appears that your car has a 2 speed wiper motor, not sure if that is what you car came with or not. However if it did, then it does need to be painted black. If its supposed to be a 3 speed unit, then the picture by y3 is correct.
Oh, so thats why I see them different all the time.  Thanks.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

y3chargerrt

Question for your R/T S/E. How do you know its a California car?The Charger in the Ebay add is a Ca car for sure. Under engine accessories there is a 7. That is the n97 noise reduction package code. Only california got this code.

69_500

Yes, and just so that you know the dual snorkel air cleaner is not only on CA cars. It was manditory on all cars sold new in CA, however that same dual snorkel air cleaner was on any Charger with the N97 noise reduction package. However that package was manditory on CA cars, which is where you see most of those dual snorkels now.

69_500

You could get the N97 option at any location it wasn't limited only to CA.

69_500

I'm not sure if it should be a flat black, or a satin black. Do you know where Totally Auto got their information on exactly what color? I don't think it should be a wrinkle finish either. I also can't recall the part number of the Air cleaner off the top of my head, but There is another air cleaner that is similar and it is what most people with N97's put on their cars but is incorrect. Most people wind up with the air cleaner that is common to a 67 GTX, as it is a dual snorkel design as well. But the snorkels are slightly different shape and size as the one found on the 69's. Minor details, but something that some people would notice.

y3chargerrt

The 67 GTX dual snorkle air cleaner does not have the tube in the side for the breather cap.

69_500

Your correct. And I believe that the overall opening is slightly different in size as well. And one or the other is more oval shaped and one is round. Right off the top of my head I couldn't tell you which is which.

69_500

A side note here, is that all cars with the N97 option also don't have the standard tips on the exhaust pipes. They are just turn down tip's not the typical squared off exhaust tips.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: y3chargerrt on November 01, 2007, 04:48:44 PM
Question for your R/T S/E. How do you know its a California car?The Charger in the Ebay add is a Ca car for sure. Under engine accessories there is a 7. That is the n97 noise reduction package code. Only california got this code.
I call it a CA car because that where I got it from and it was listed that way, and it is rust free but thats all I know outside of being built in MI.  The big air cleaner is whats on it, so I would think it came with it?   What do you mean under engine accessories ther is a 7 ?  Must mean with paperwork which I don,t have.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69_500 on November 01, 2007, 07:14:32 PM
A side note here, is that all cars with the N97 option also don't have the standard tips on the exhaust pipes. They are just turn down tip's not the typical squared off exhaust tips.

O.K, well that ain't happening.  I love the original tips the R/T came with.

1969chargerrtse

My buddy has a bunch of the small wrinkle round ones, you guys think thats the way to go?  and sell this one.   I just want to be positive this baby didn't hang on for 40 years and then I get rid of it and it was an important piece of history about the car.  N97.  Theres no breather tube hole either, normal?

y3chargerrt

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: y3chargerrt on November 02, 2007, 06:39:58 AM
All 69 air cleaners have a breather hole.
OK now I know for sure it's the wrong air cleaner so I'll do the little round one. I have seen breathers that are in the valve cover chrome and black, which one?  Thanks.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chrome for 69

Bill Allphin has a great repro of this

www.amhightechauto.com
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 02, 2007, 07:39:42 PM
Chrome for 69

Bill Allphin has a great repro of this

www.amhightechauto.com
Once again. Thanks Chris. :notworthy:

69_500

Wait are you going with a round air cleaner? Or the Dual snorkel cleaner? With the N97 it would be a dual snorkel.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Danny, he has no BS to back up his thoughts of N97...round unsilenced & chrome tips for him ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 02, 2007, 08:41:30 PM
Robert, might I suggest this book.....

http://www.amazon.com/Charger-Runner-Restoration-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0879388897/ref=sr_1_1/102-4203721-9526521?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194053945&sr=8-1

While not 100% accurate, there is a lot of good info in there of "what should & shouldn't be"
Sweet.  I'll order it.  i'm getting a lot from this site and pictures, but I could use a good read.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 02, 2007, 08:46:19 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 02, 2007, 08:41:30 PM
Robert, might I suggest this book.....

http://www.amazon.com/Charger-Runner-Restoration-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0879388897/ref=sr_1_1/102-4203721-9526521?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194053945&sr=8-1

While not 100% accurate, there is a lot of good info in there of "what should & shouldn't be"
  Sweet.  I'll order it.  I'm getting a lot from this site and pictures, but I could use a good read.
Make that,  I just ordered it. Thanks.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 02, 2007, 08:37:54 PM
Danny, he has no BS to back up his thoughts of N97...round unsilenced & chrome tips for him ;)
Yep, and it's not like I'm going to sell the correct air cleaner.  This is for a 70 I'm told.  Anyone on the site need one?

69_500

I realize that he has nothing to back up the N97 option. Was just commenting. If he thinks the car sold new in CA though it would have had to have had it. Just an observation.