News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 stroked to 451?

Started by OttawaCharger, October 12, 2007, 02:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttawaCharger

Ok, so I've been doing my homework and learning about what goes into a well build stroker motor.  By well built I mean something that will last and not burn oil from day one.  So, here is what I've come up with.

Deck height of a zero-decked 383 is 9.956"
Bore (.030 over) is 4.28"
Stroker crank from 440 source 3.915"
Rod length 6.535"
resulting compression height 1.464"
resulting rod ratio 1.669:1

this willll require a custom piston (I think) and the rod ratio isn't the stock 1.8:1 of a 440 but well within tolerances for a good engine.  Also, the compression height and the rod ratio come out almost identical to that of the 471 stroker that some guys have created from their 400s.
I've checked my numbers a few times  :scope: and it appears this is the best way for me to go with my 383.
I'm a bit concerned that although I've looked at a lot of stroker builds on this site and others, I haven't found a topic where this has been done yet.   :scratchchin:
What do you guys think?  :shruggy:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

AKcharger

I think they (440 source) has kits in stock to take it to a 426? Oh My Machine shop up here said they were impressed with 440 Source's kit quality so I'd feel comfortable dealing with them although my engine is still going together so I can't speak for performance yet

Runner

i emailed brandon at 440 source about this last week.  he said he wont be stocking a piston for this but would do a kit with a custom piston for me.    i really like the idea so  biuld that puppy and let me know how it runs! im probably a year or 2 out on biulding mine. 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

firefighter3931

That engine combo should run fine.....basicly a 400/470 type build with a smaller bore. The pistons will have to be custom ordered but that's no big deal really. Diamond Racing can make any piston you want, just tell them what you need.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

OttawaCharger

AK - I've also heard good things about 440 source! They've got a kit for 438 and a 496 CI.  The 438 is save and the 496 not so safe due to rod ratio being down in the 1.54:1 area.  That's why I want something in between and the math says that the 451 is the way to go.  :2thumbs:

Runner - It's good to hear that someone else has come to the same conclusion.  It will be a while before I build it but I'm going to start stock piling parts soon.  But I'll report back when she comes together.  :yesnod:

Ron - That's exactly what I had in mind!   :yesnod:

That's awesome news guys! Thanks!   :cheers:

oldkimmer

In all actuallity rod / stroke ratio is just a #.........what ever size engine u build it wont know the difference on the street.........all out max performance there is only slight gain to having [the magical] ratio..........kim........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OttawaCharger

Quote from: oldkimmer on November 10, 2007, 12:00:16 PM
  In all actuallity rod / stroke ratio is just a #.........what ever size engine u build it wont know the difference on the street.........all out max performance there is only slight gain to having [the magical] ratio..........kim........
In aiming for a specific rod ratio, I wasn't worried as much about power loss through friction that a short ratio gives as I was worried about excessive blow-by of combustion gases due to improper ring sealing and accelerated bore wear.