News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New to site: Superbird or Daytona Clone. Which to Build?

Started by dillon14, November 04, 2007, 05:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dillon14

I originally posted this thread in the Moparchat forum but then I found this site which I like much better:

I've always loved and wanted a Winged car but I see now that I will never own a real one. Now I've got myself all worked up about building a Winged clone and can't seem to get it out of my mind even though I am also restoring a 1970 4-speed matching numbers L78 Nova SS as well as trying to sell my all original 70 Chevelle SS. To feed my craving, I am trying to collect as much information as I can on how to actually build one of these warriors. I am looking at purchasing a 70 Road Runner but I have always liked the Daytonas better. I have been searching in the past forums and see that the 1970 Superbird used 1970 Coronet fenders and the 1969 Daytona used 1969 Charger fenders. I'm sure there are tons of other weird things to work out. My question is: What car should I buy initially to get started? Do I need two cars to actually make one? Is building one more expensive than the other? Does anyone actually make a complete kit like the Eleanor cars? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,   :cheers:
Al
Maine

1970 Dodge Coronet R/T 426 Hemi 4-Speed 1 of 4
1969 Boss 429
1968 Shelby GT-500KR 4-Speed Convertible

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dillon14

That would also be my preference. What do I need to purchase for a car(s) just to get started? I need to get something soon so I will have something to do this winter. i.e. Finding parts.

Thanks

1969 Boss 429

69bronzeT5

Welcome to the site!!!! If I had my choice, I would build a Superbird clone because I already have a 69 Charger...its not a Daytona but its a Charger so I would want something else. But I think you should do a Daytona...gives you more choice for colours and etc such as stripe colour where the Superbird didnt have a stripe. Also, I think you could get more answers to your questions if you were to do a Daytona clone. :Twocents:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Dodge Don

Quote from: dillon14 on November 04, 2007, 05:28:42 PM
I originally posted this thread in the Moparchat forum but then I found this site which I like much better:

I've always loved and wanted a Winged car but I see now that I will never own a real one. Now I've got myself all worked up about building a Winged clone and can't seem to get it out of my mind even though I am also restoring a 1970 4-speed matching numbers L78 Nova SS as well as trying to sell my all original 70 Chevelle SS. To feed my craving, I am trying to collect as much information as I can on how to actually build one of these warriors. I am looking at purchasing a 70 Road Runner but I have always liked the Daytonas better. I have been searching in the past forums and see that the 1970 Superbird used 1970 Coronet fenders and the 1969 Daytona used 1969 Charger fenders. I'm sure there are tons of other weird things to work out. My question is: What car should I buy initially to get started? Do I need two cars to actually make one? Is building one more expensive than the other? Does anyone actually make a complete kit like the Eleanor cars? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,   :cheers:
Al
Maine

Daytonas use 70 Charger fenders and hoods.

dillon14

Am I right in assuming that I will need to purchase a 69 Charger to get started? I guess it doesn't need to be an R/T as the hide-away head lights will not be used anyways. As you can see, I'm just starting but I am a very good learner at the ripe old age of 57.

Thanks,
Al

1969 Boss 429

69bronzeT5

Quote from: dillon14 on November 04, 2007, 07:25:32 PM
I guess it doesn't need to be an R/T as the hide-away head lights will not be used anyways.\

All 68-70 Charger's came with hide-aways...not just R/Ts.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

dillon14

I have always loved muscle cars of all types. I am a Deputy Warden at a prison here in Maine and I have started a program called "Saving Cars Behind Bars" We are now completing our 2nd car which is a 1970 Dodge Coronet R/T Convertible. It is a Clone with a 440 6-pac with a pistol grip 4-speed with console. Plum carzy with white bucket seat interior and black stripe and black convertible top. We have been 2.5 years restoring the car. I also have photos here of some of the cars that I have owned over the years. If you get bored, be my guest and take a look. I previously owned a super rare (1 of 4) all original 1970 Dodge Coronet R/T Hemi 4-speed that you can see there.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v295/dillon14/Old%20Cars%201/

Thanks,
Al

1969 Boss 429

wingcars6970

If you decide to go with a 69 charger for a daytona you will need 70 charger hood/wing braces a pillars and fenders and front lower valance and 69 valiant parking light/turn signals.The rear 69 daytona /500 window plug and unique backwindow trim .Modified trunk lid and hinges etc .If you go with the 70 satellite or road runner for a superbird you will need 70 coronet fenders with fender extensions and center valance wing /braces a pillars etc and 70 fury turn clear signals and a 70 coronet hood to modify.Limits on the trunlk lid hinges a rear window and plug typical of a superbird with fillers pieces.A vinyl top your option Etc details vacuum /wiring .Satellite dash to rallye dash more work

pettybird

I guess it doesn't need to be an R/T as the hide-away head lights will not be used anyways.

Thanks,
Al

yikes...

I know more about chevelles than THAT.  go through the archives, look at others' clones, and ask from there.

BigBlockSam

the easiest way to build a daytona clone is to start with a 70 charger take the front bumper off , modify the fenders ,add a nose and put a wing on it. now you have a clone. if you start with a 69 , you have to change the front fenders and hood and there both the same body and tail panel . don't waste money on an r/t . it won't be original when your down with it .
if you choose to plug the rear window it will get more complicated. plus to do the front hide a way lights are a pain in the ass. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

70charger_boy

Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 04, 2007, 08:22:27 PM
the easiest way to build a daytona clone is to start with a 70 charger take the front bumper off , modify the fenders ,add a nose and put a wing on it. now you have a clone. if you start with a 69 , you have to change the front fenders and hood and there both the same body and tail panel . don't waste money on an r/t . it won't be original when your down with it .
if you choose to plug the rear window it will get more complicated. plus to do the front hide a way lights are a pain in the ass. Rene

:yesnod:

dillon14

OK, I am definitely going with the Daytona. Now I need to know whether to buy a 69 or 70 Charger as there are different thoughts on which one to to start with. I do want to try and make a nice one and I am willing to pay as needed. I do want to have a 440 with a 4-speed and also have the smaller rear window. (Rear window plug)

1969 Boss 429

Charger-Bodie

the prob with using a 70 is the minor diffs such as the door panels seats inst cluster steering column rear s/m lamps ..all differant id get a 69 and find a set of 70 fenders and a 70 hood. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BigBlockSam

Quoteget a 69 and find a set of 70 fenders and a 70 hood. 

:yesnod:  thats what i did  and HOWDY!
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

moparstuart

Quote from: dillon14 on November 04, 2007, 09:00:31 PM
OK, I am definitely going with the Daytona. Now I need to know whether to buy a 69 or 70 Charger as there are different thoughts on which one to to start with. I do want to try and make a nice one and I am willing to pay as needed. I do want to have a 440 with a 4-speed and also have the smaller rear window. (Rear window plug)
as i am building both a superbird clone and a daytona clone   it is cheaper and easyier in my opinion to build a super bird clone  70 satelite are much cheaper then chargers.   More parts are avalible and cheaper for the superbird clone.  But you can most likely get more money for the car if you do the daytona  ?  your choice
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BigBlockSam

Quoteit is cheaper and easyier in my opinion to build a super bird clone   

i agree, but there are only two venders that i know that do bird noses in fiberglass. Janek and showcars. anybody know any others.

hotrod98

Don Currie builds bird noses in Canada but the shipping cost is outrageous.
Or, he could go with steel noses from Gean Gregory or Jack at Wingcarfab if he had an extra 6 or 7k to spend.  ;D

Easiest way to buld a wing car.
For a Daytona, buy a 70 charger. Alter the fenders,  add a nose assembly, fender scoops, Janek wing, wing washers and wing braces. Leave the back glass and trunk lid stock and just leave the 70 interior. Total cost...around 7 to 8k plus labor and of course the cost of the car.

For a bird, buy a 70 Satellite. Buy the 70 coronet fenders and hood, alter the fenders, add a nose assembly, fender scoops, alter the hood, add runner taillights, add a Janek wing, wing washers and wing braces. Leave the back glass stock and leave the interior stock. Total cost...around 9 to 10k plus the cost of the car.

To make the Daytona look more like the real thing, the total cost for me to alter the back glass using a vega plug, altering the trunk opening and altering the trunk including changing the hinges is around 2 grand.
The cheapest way to make the bird look more realistic is to use the fiberglass plug and lexan back glass. That runs around $1500 plus the cost of the vinyl top. To use a steel plug and glass back window and correct repro moldings, add another $3800.
In other words...it ain't easy and it sure as heck ain't cheap

To go all out with a conversion using the best parts and pieces, you could easliy spend 20 grand per car for the total transformation. But you can buy a nice Charger or Roadrunner for around 20 to 25k, spend 20k on the transformation and get every dime back when you sell it.

In my opinion, the Daytona would be the logical car to build. You usually won't be sharing the limelight with one of the real ones at your local car show and they're easier to build.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

and a Janek wing....................................................... and a Janek wing.............................................. and a Janek wing.......................................some ones in love with there wing  :icon_smile_big:

dillon14

hotrod98,

Thanks for the response to my post. I am on the lookout for a 69 Charger now. I hope to find one that is in reasonable condition and was originally a 4-speed car as 4-speeds are the only way for me to go as long as I can still push the clutch in. I have seen a post regarding the Vega rear window plugs. A friend of mine knows where there are three Vegas that he believes are 72 to 75 range. Can you tell me more on what you actually need to salvage from the vega?

Thanks

1969 Boss 429

BigBlockSam

QuoteCan you tell me more on what you actually need to salvage from the vega?

you need the hatch, glass and trim .  :yesnod:

daytonalo

Why not put a wing and nose  :icon_smile_big:on a vega ???????????

Chris G.

Am I right in assuming that I will need to purchase a 69 Charger to get started?

If you want a REAL clone (huh), then yes, a '69 Charger is needed. If you want to do a created car that never existed, then using a '70 is another way to do it. I don't consider any '70 Chargers with wings to be clones. They are created cars.

dillon14

I am definitely going with a 1969 Charger. Just trying to find one that is close to home and in reasonably good condition.

1969 Boss 429

moparstuart

Quote from: Chris G. on November 06, 2007, 08:15:53 AM
Am I right in assuming that I will need to purchase a 69 Charger to get started?

If you want a REAL clone (huh), then yes, a '69 Charger is needed. If you want to do a created car that never existed, then using a '70 is another way to do it. I don't consider any '70 Chargers with wings to be clones. They are created cars.
what ever floats your boat
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE