News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering box shaft moves in and out?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, November 05, 2007, 10:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

I have power steering on my 69 Charger.  I noticed I have some steering wheel slop, side to side movement.  While sitting in the engine compartment (motor is out) I can turn the coupling side to side and I noticed the shaft play seems to be the shaft actually moving in and out maybe a 16th or so rather than gear slop.  I turned the adjustable screw in a little and as I though It made no difference.  I have enough projects with this car right now, the last thing I want to do is rip out the steering box and have it rebuilt.  Is this small type of movement acceptable for these cars?  Many thanks. Rob.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

The movement you see is pretty much normal for a worm gear type box...just the ball & gear meshing.  Mopar power steering isnt called pinky steering for nothing ya know ;)
Adjusting the box screw is a very small & critical adjustment and should be done correctly so as not to bind up the box.....

You did get the factory service manual correct?

If not, get it before anything else....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 05, 2007, 05:05:42 PM
The movement you see is pretty much normal for a worm gear type box...just the ball & gear meshing.  Mopar power steering isnt called pinky steering for nothing ya know ;)
Adjusting the box screw is a very small & critical adjustment and should be done correctly so as not to bind up the box.....

You did get the factory service manual correct?

If not, get it before anything else....
I haven't gotten it yet, they are not cheap. I'll pass on pulling it out.  One less thing to do. I do know about the steering having no feel at all.  Thanks.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

FSM is the best investment you can make for these old cars...60 bucks is cheap insurance
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 05, 2007, 06:33:13 PM
FSM is the best investment you can make for these old cars...60 bucks is cheap insurance
I'll put it on my list of many things to buy. I have that other restoration book on it's way.  I'll get that one soon. 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 05, 2007, 07:33:47 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on November 05, 2007, 06:33:13 PM
I'll put it on my list of many things to buy. I have that other restoration book on it's way.  I'll get that one soon. 
  Got a new repro on ebay for 53.00 today.

mally69

I may be wrong on this  and guys correct me if i am BUT that slop should dissapear once the engine is running and fluid is being pumped through the box,, Im i correct or not  :shruggy:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: mally69 on November 09, 2007, 08:40:07 PM
I may be wrong on this  and guys correct me if i am BUT that slop should dissapear once the engine is running and fluid is being pumped through the box,, Im i correct or not  :shruggy:
I don't know, I think play is there no matter what, but what I see is not play from gear to gear mesh, but the shaft moving out of the box in one direction, and back in, in the other direction.  Not really gear slop, but shaft in/out movement?

mally69

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: mally69 on November 09, 2007, 08:52:36 PM
hmm im stumped  :popcrn: :popcrn:
You know what, I got so much on my list to do and buy, this will have to just stay that way for now.

mally69

well my grandpa took his out and rebuilt it ,  how i dont know. i was away working when he did, so i dont know what was wrong but ill  find out   and let you know what  he fixed and why .. :scratchchin:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: mally69 on November 09, 2007, 09:01:54 PM
well my grandpa took his out and rebuilt it ,  how i dont know. i was away working when he did, so i dont know what was wrong but ill  find out   and let you know what  he fixed and why .. :scratchchin:
Oh, O.k because now is the time.  Motor is out and I'm dismantleing everything in the compartment anyway, I quess I could add that to the long list. Thanks.

mally69

I will  post up tomarrow what i find out. That would be somthing i would not over look, could end up costing you your whole car, if it caused you to wreck . But im sure you'll fix it  :2thumbs:  Im sure some one around here knows exactly whats wrong.

caddman

my power steering box in my 73 charger does the same thing (been in the car since 94 when i replaced it).  i haven't had any loss of steering or anything dramatic.  just thought i would through my 2 cents in there.  have a good weekend all.

caddman

mally69

Ok all my grandpa did was replace the seals in his,  nothing internal  ::)

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: mally69 on November 11, 2007, 08:27:09 AM
Ok all my grandpa did was replace the seals in his,  nothing internal  ::)
Thanks, I don't think I have much to worry about, I was just wondering if anyone else has seen play movement as saft in/out rather than gear to gear?  thanks for getting back.

375instroke

All my cars are manual, so I can't check mine.  A friend has a '70 Challenger, though, that I was helping with finding steering slop, and saw the shaft going in and out also.  I thought something was wrong also, and he said it was only one year old.  While looking at the FSM, I determined that this is normal.  I see that the shaft going in and out moves the shuttle valve that controls which side of the power piston fluid is directed to.  The reaction springs are what resist this in and out movement of the input shaft.  The stiffer the reaction springs are, the more force required to move the shaft against them.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 375instroke on November 11, 2007, 08:32:10 PM
All my cars are manual, so I can't check mine.  A friend has a '70 Challenger, though, that I was helping with finding steering slop, and saw the shaft going in and out also.  I thought something was wrong also, and he said it was only one year old.  While looking at the FSM, I determined that this is normal.  I see that the shaft going in and out moves the shuttle valve that controls which side of the power piston fluid is directed to.  The reaction springs are what resist this in and out movement of the input shaft.  The stiffer the reaction springs are, the more force required to move the shaft against them.

Wow, what a great answer.  Thanks so much, thats answers that.