News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mini tub

Started by sandman21, July 25, 2005, 03:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman21

Is it a good idea or more trouble than it is worth?  Any body done it on a 69?  How to's?

Mefirst

There was an awsome thread about this back at DC.com.. Sadly I cant remeber the guys name who posted the thread..

To what I know mini tubbing isnt that difficult, problem is to line up everything straight cause you dont have a direct fixed point in the car to use as refrence when you line up the hangers. If the leaf hangers dont come straight the cars rear will turn when you ex. do a burnout.. Onother problem is that you have to redo the rear seat, making it more narrow to fit. You also have to make new mounting points for the rear axel cause you move the leaf springs inwards.

Hopefully someone has saved the link to the guys pictures of the mini tub project.. or maby he he has loged in as a member here... Or maby some one else can give you a better answer..

/Tom

GT

I just finished this on my 70.   I did it the same time I was replacing the trunk floor - so it was MUCH easier.     Turned out to be about a 3" tub.   I had cut the top outer lip of the frame rails by the inner wheel well housing for the full tub - you will want to box the frame before you do this.   It's not to hard - just a LOT of work.   I also ground the welds down and filled it in... looks stock. :yesnod:

There was no need to modify the rear seat.   It bolts right in.

I'll move the springs in 3" next...

Here is my photo album.   Click on the "Charger" album.
http://community.webshots.com/user/gturner101

A good step by step process can also be found on bigblockdart.com.  
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

Chryco Psycho

I have done a lot of these , I cut the tub in the center , over lap the floor & add a straight strip of steel over the top of the wheel tub & weld it back in , done properly it can barely be seen 

PocketThunder

Quote from: Mefirst on July 25, 2005, 03:26:50 PM
There was an awsome thread about this back at DC.com.. Sadly I cant remeber the guys name who posted the thread..
/Tom

I think this is the link to that guys set of pictures, but its not working right now.  http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rb_dodge_charger_rt_1969/my_photos
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

sandman21

That was an awesome link lots of pics.  I am still not sure if it is worth all that work?!?

PocketThunder

Quote from: sandman21 on July 26, 2005, 10:13:17 AM
That was an awesome link lots of pics.   I am still not sure if it is worth all that work?!?

HELL YA ITS WORTH IT.   :icon_smile_big:  but thats easy for me to say, i'm not doing the work.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

thanks for the pics. you did a great job. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

sandman21

PT, who is doing the work for you?  A shop or friend/relative thing?  If it is a shop how much is it costing you?

B Bodyman

If you go to  www.bigblockdart.com  ,there is a pretty good article with pics in their archives. it's on an A body but same idea.